#1 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:38 AM

So this week in particular has been very hot for us.
I make sure our horse and goats have fresh water available, hose the ground around water tub, and hose the horse off in the afternoon when it's the hottest hoping the evaporation will help cool her, paying extra attention to neck , chest and belly , udder area.
Any other thoughts? What do you guys do to help yours?

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:52 AM

It's been hot here but not unbearable- so haven't been doing anything special other than fly masks and applying fly spray in the afternoon when the horse flies and biting flies seem to be at their worst.  I will also put SWAT around their noses, ears, chest, shoulders and such.  I use a cloth so I can help it go further, plus I put it on after I spray w/fly spray so the SWAT goes further that way but that really helps especially with the horse flies cuz they are just relentless.  They have a large covered area they can stand under for shade but still good air flow.  They spend a good part of the hotter part of the day under that.

I am finding my water tanks are getting algae more quickly than normal for some reason.  The three horses go through a 100 gallons in about 4 to 5 days and so I scrub it out each time before refilling.  They really love it when they get that brand new water.  

• greygelding and corasmom like this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 26 June 2020 - 07:34 AM

Nice and toasty today. Supposed to reach 112 degrees. The kids have their favorite two spots to gather in the shade of the trees during the heat of the day. We water morning and evening when it gets like this. Plenty of fresh cool water available. Not asking anything from them except to eat. Occasional rinse down with full baths scheduled for tomorrow. Pam and the dog stay in the air conditioning with an occasional trip to their respective pools. Me? I get to go to work in the heat. Have an evaporative cooler but unable to stay in front of it most of the time.

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#4 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 413 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 26 June 2020 - 10:42 AM

Mike, sorry you only have the evap at work! With the thunderheads kicking up it makes them almost useless.
It's nice you have oaks. The previous owners cut down the oaks to plant pecan trees but then didn't water. Lol. So mine have a giant digger pine to stand under and get pitch all over them. Haha!

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!