• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:43 PM

Hey all, could use some input here.

I have a 2000 4 horse slant Travalong trailer.  I haven't used my horse trailer much the past 2 years, but the previous year, I had 2 or 3 blow outs in a year and a half.  There are 4 tires on it for a 4 horse slant.

Now, I've had someone tell me that since one side faces the sun 24x7 that the weather checking likely was a big contributing cause.  I also acknowledge I was not very good at checking the air pressure prior to departure which I have been reading is a big contributing cause.

In researching this, it looks like major reasons for blow outs are for going faster than the tire is rated and being under-inflated.

The current trailer tires are LT 235 85x16.  The tag on the trailer says that is what is recommended, although, from my research ST (specialty tires) apparently weren't a "thing" until after my trailer was built.

I've never put this much effort into researching trailer tires before but after all those blow outs, it's given me cause.  I don't have any specific trips planned coming up, but this is something I know needs to be done and don't want to wait until a sudden necessary trip and not be prepared.

Soooo......  I've had a friend who I trust tell me I should be ST trailers because he says the side walls flex better and thinks would lower my risk of a blow out (of course w/proper inflation but I've seen some comments online saying people hauling horses don't like the ST trailer tires.

What is your experience?

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 20 June 2020 - 12:56 PM

Just found this site that seems pretty informative.  Still would like your experience, what's worked for you.

https://www.doubledt...-trailer-tires/

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 21 June 2020 - 02:47 PM

Good information. I’ve always used the ST tires. I’ve only had two flats with one really chewed up. That was before I added a Tire Pressure Monitor System (TPMS). The TPMS lets you see pressures and temperatures of the trailer tires and has an alarm that sounds when the pressure gets low or the temperature too high.. It’s wireless so installation is simple. I logged many miles in my “Mayo” days and it was worth the money to me for the peace of mind and safety. On the one flat I had it alerted me of a pressure decrease so I had time to pick a safe place to pull over and change to the spare tire. Eventually the batteries went bad on the transmitters but as I do so little hauling now I haven’t replaced them. I know people who run LT tires without a problem and some who run car tires but I figure the engineers know more than I do and I do what I can to keep them safe. I also have the tires balanced to give them the easiest ride possible.
Ever ridden inside the trailer? I recommend it. You get a perspective of what hard turns, stops, and acceleration the horses are feeling. Easy trips make for easy loading horses.

Mike
  • corasmom likes this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 21 June 2020 - 03:15 PM

Thanks Mike.  The TPMS sounds like a great tool to have in place.  I did a quick google search and looks like there is quite a price variance.  I know its been awhile, but do you recall about what you paid for yours?  I see them from $50 and $400+.

What manufacture of tire do you prefer?  It seems that most ST tires do not come with a warranty but it looks like the 2 listed in the link did come with warranties.  It's so confusing.  

I know for sure one thing is I will be putting cover over my tires to help prevent the weather checking.  Unfortunately, there is no place for me to park it inside.  

p.s.  I have not ridden inside a trailer, but that's because I'm always the one driving and I'm solo.  But, I'm certain it would be good for a person to do at least once to realize how the horses feel when we make sudden stops/ turns, etc.  

#5 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,860 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 21 June 2020 - 04:03 PM

Thanks Mike.  The TPMS sounds like a great tool to have in place.  I did a quick google search and looks like there is quite a price variance.  I know its been awhile, but do you recall about what you paid for yours?  I see them from $50 and $400+.

What manufacture of tire do you prefer?  It seems that most ST tires do not come with a warranty but it looks like the 2 listed in the link did come with warranties.  It's so confusing.  

I know for sure one thing is I will be putting cover over my tires to help prevent the weather checking.  Unfortunately, there is no place for me to park it inside.  

p.s.  I have not ridden inside a trailer, but that's because I'm always the one driving and I'm solo.  But, I'm certain it would be good for a person to do at least once to realize how the horses feel when we make sudden stops/ turns, etc.  

It was more years ago than I want to admit to.  LOL  I think it was something like $185 dollars or so.  I got the 8 tire unit as my truck isn't equipped with a TPMS.  I don't remember what brand of tires I've used over the years.  I will use almost anything on my car but I try to stay with the major brands instead of bargain tires on the horse trailer.  I also installed cameras inside the trailer to watch the horses on the road.  A little overprotective?  Perhaps.  As for riding in a trailer Pam and I did it right after getting one and it's an eye opening experience,  Interestingly enough, when I was talking to Sheila Varian about getting Begonia V for Pam she told me that she also has ridden in a horse trailer to see what they felt.  

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#6 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 22 June 2020 - 01:58 PM

Well, I think I have decided to go with the ST Towmax tires.  I could save a a few bucks by buying them online (free shipping when you buy 4 or more) but by the time I have to pay someone to mount/ balance them, it would be about a wash.  Plus, I like to try and support small/ local businesses.  

One thing for sure is I need to locate some heavy tarp material that I can use to cover over the tires to protect from the sun when it is parked.  Yes, I know they sell things like that as covers, but I hate spending money on custom stuff when a home made version will do just as well for my needs.  

• greygelding likes this

#7 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,710 posts

Posted 25 June 2020 - 07:45 AM

Well, I'm scheduled to get new tires on the horse trailer tomorrow.  Decided to go with the ST Towmax- hope that I picked right.  I also hit the jackpot yesterday with a place that repairs tractor trailer / big truck trailer tarps.  The ones they can't repair, they just throw away and don't care if people want to take them.  Since these tarps are so large to start with, most of the time you can cut the tarp down to your own needs or in many cases the issues with the tarp aren't a big enough problem to be reused for other things.  Anyhow because part of the reason my other tires have had issues is due to being parked where the tires are exposed to the sun/ weather, I took one of the three tarps and cut it down to make covers for the horse trailer and flat bed trailer tires.  

Since I'm not showing right now or taking any planned trips, I won't really know how they hold up until probably next year unless I have to make an emergency road trip somewhere.  

• greygelding likes this