#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,833 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 03 May 2020 - 04:40 AM

There is an isle way in the middle of the row of corrals for access so we don’t need to walk around to the ends. This is the most used way by people and horses to gain access to the large area around the house I call the yard. When I’m home you would find up to three horses at a time roaming the yard doing their gardening chores. I buy carrots by the 25 pound bag and if I’m working in the yard the horses come by to hit me up for a treat. One Sunday I had 3 horses out including Aspen and I foolishly had the bag of carrots laying on the ground where I was working. I let them occasionally come over and sneak a carrot out of the bag. At the end of day I fed dinner and locked them in for the night. I must be getting old as I failed to close Aspens gate and the isle way gate. In the morning a well fed mare greeted me when I went out for my morning headcount before going to work. I don’t really have a problem with this but I realized that I also left the carrot bag out. She ate about 8 pounds of carrots. We locked her in her corral for the day and Pam kept a close watch on her. All was well except she didn’t understand why she couldn’t join everyone else in the pastures. When I got home that evening I released her and she gleefully power trotted everywhere until dinner time. WHEW! No complications and now I take a small amount of Carrots at a time for treats and leave the bag in the house. Also I count gates before retiring for the night.

Mike
  • tuffyk, JRdesire, karens and 1 other like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown