#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:24 PM

California Is on lock down now.  TP, paper towels, cleaning supplies and disinfectant, and most foods that will store for a period of time like potatoes, spaghetti, etc. are being bought out each day.  The buying panic is rabid but not everyone is participating.  The shelves are restocked each day and things are quieting down a bit.  Us?  We have a small increase in supplies but not too much more than normal.  Just enough to tide us over for a couple of days should something not be available on one trip but should be on the next one.  We don't have a years supply of toilet paper or 700 bottles of water.  What I do have is a larger than normal hay supply.  I can scrounge for our food but I don't want the kids to go without.  I know - If we're on lock down how can I scrounge for food?  Well everyone is supposed to stay home except for those on the following list and those going somewhere to get essential goods.  

The list is long - Essential businesses allowed to be open:

Health Care - doctors, hospitals, dentists, pharmacies, therapists, and a long list of support people both public and private

all emergency services and support personal

All food suppliers, including grocery stores, corner convenience stores, any store selling food, farm workers, animal services etc.

restaurant and fast food take out and delivery only 

Workers in the manufacture and distribution of forest products - paper, wood etc including office supply stores

Manufacture and distribution of agricultural products

anyone associated in any way with energy production or the petroleum industry or natural gas

Water and sewer

anything to do with transportation including auto repair - as an essential business I still have a job as long as we have customers

Financial, chemical, hazardous materials, communication, necessary government, etc. etc, - the list goes on and on.

So we are on lock down?  REALLY?  The traffic load is a bit lighter than normal but life seems to go on for most of us.  

If they are serious about this whole lock down thing then we should be on lock down.

Hay seems to be readily available, Tractor Supply is open, but carrots are hard to find.  I guess the horses will settle for Nicker Makers.

What are you doing?

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:43 PM

Hey Mike,

The Mayor of Kansas City announced today that effective 12:01AM Tuesday, the city will be on lockdown.  This spans several counties.  https://www.kansasci...e241400106.html

I am just on the outside of KC, but have been honoring the lockdown.  Although, today I drove 50 minutes the opposite direction of the city to go get shavings (bulk) in my trailer.  It was sunny, a little brisk but overall a beautiful day to be outside.  Got started on several outdoor Spring projects, but the list is long.  Nonetheless, it felt good to be productive.  Do you think they would consider shavings "essential"?  Ok, just trying to throw some humor at the situation.

I think it would be difficult to put my county on lock down.  It's mostly a farming community mixed with small towns that often don't have grocery stores or if they do, very little selection.  Can you imagine telling the farmers they couldn't farm?  Ok, they are essential.  

Shelves are empty here at every store of cleaning supplies, paper goods and lots of the non-perishable foods.  

I saw today someone posted on nextdoor.com wanting to know where to buy a milking cow.  Another person posted looking for a Buck rabbit or something?  I guess the kind of rabbits that are raised to be eaten.  I guess I could never kill an animal just so I have something to eat.  It's just not in me.  Fishing is different.  That said, I do not know how to fillet a fish, so there would be lots of trial and error.

Like you Mike, I'm more concerned about the "kids".  I have enough hay that could last me into next year if I had to.  We've had lots of rain/ moisture over the winter, and so there will be plenty of hay.  I just can't really buy more than about 4 wks of grain at a time or I risk the mice getting to it and that's even w/putting rat poison down.  A little less come the heat of summer because we have such high humidity and feed will mold.  Tractor Supply and Orschlens have sent out their emails committing to staying open and stocking up on the essential feeds, so I think things should be ok on that end.

• karens likes this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:29 PM

Kansas City lock down looks almost identical to ours.  Things shouldn't change too much for you.  If things change here I'll post as we started ours on Friday so we're a few days ahead of you.

Mike

~Author Unknown

#4 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,271 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 02:43 AM

Still have no idea why people are hoarding toilet paper.  I ordered 20 rolls off Amazon for a reasonable price and will share them with my daughter's family if they need some.  What I can't find is potatoes.  Anybody out there in Idaho that want's to send me ten pounds?

#5 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 22 March 2020 - 05:14 AM

Kansas City lock down looks almost identical to ours.  Things shouldn't change too much for you.  If things change here I'll post as we started ours on Friday so we're a few days ahead of you.

Mike

Thank you Mike.  

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#6 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 22 March 2020 - 07:08 AM

Here’s a link to an article about how serious (not) residents are taking the lock down.

https://www.pressdem...Fq9IRX9ZozOoyN4

Mike

~Author Unknown