• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 20 March 2020 - 04:38 PM

Starting another topic to hear from others what you do for Spring shots.  Do you give the shots yourself?  Does your vet do them?  I realize different areas will have some variations based on where you live.  I know in the Midwest, most people don't give shots for Patomic Fever unless they travel to the East Coast with their horses.

I have been doing the 6 way shot (W. Nile, Tetanus, Eastern, Western, Rhino, Flu) in the Spring for many years.  I give the shot myself, it's all in one shot.  I know some horses need the shots separated out because of reactions, others have thoughts about efficacy by doing it as one shot verses more than one.  I normally boost in the Fall with Rhino/Flu, but have not the last 2 years because my horses have rarely left the property in the last 2 years and do not get exposed to other horses and one of them is just now starting into the Senior stage.  When I show, I always boost everyone so I don't bring anything home from a show.  I did also do strangles last year and because the young one had never had it, he also got a booster.

Speaking of the Strangles vaccine, who does the shot and who does the nasal version?  I've always done the nasal because I've seen too many people talk about their horses having reactions and in some cases causing a permanent lump in the neck from the reaction.  As someone who has shown and may show again in the future, I of course don't want that to happen.

Looking forward to your thoughts.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#2 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 399 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 20 March 2020 - 10:46 PM

I have to spread out the 6 vaccines. She is miserable if she gets them all at once. The vet does them for me. I have done both types of strangles vaccinations in the past. Prefer the nasal. All of mine have had some kind of reaction to vaccines. Both Arabs and QH .
Whether it is achy sore muscles, lumps, or off feed a bit.
  • karens likes this

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#3 tuffyk

tuffyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 150 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 05:45 AM

My horses are on a barn herd health program.  In addition to the shots listed above, they also get rabies, West Nile and Potomac Horse Fever.

• karens likes this

#4 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 21 March 2020 - 08:36 AM

I give my own, 6 way. 6 out of 7 are no problem. Aspen is another story. She’s stout and strong. Extremely sensitive and just a moderate poke with one finger is extreme punishment. Vets are not very successful treating her, don’t like her, and the feeling is mutual. This is a result of past handling and experiences. Worming is a challenge and sticking a needle in he is an experience. She has bent a needle just by tightening her neck muscles so I have to be quick and accurate. Trying for a second time is tough and dangerous. There is no training her out of this and I just handle it as necessary.

Mike
  • tuffyk and karens like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#5 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 06:48 PM

I give my own, 6 way. 6 out of 7 are no problem. Aspen is another story. She’s stout and strong. Extremely sensitive and just a moderate poke with one finger is extreme punishment. Vets are not very successful treating her, don’t like her, and the feeling is mutual. This is a result of past handling and experiences. Worming is a challenge and sticking a needle in he is an experience. She has bent a needle just by tightening her neck muscles so I have to be quick and accurate. Trying for a second time is tough and dangerous. There is no training her out of this and I just handle it as necessary.

Mike

Awww, that's too bad that she has had such a bad experience.  She's lucky to have an understanding owner!

#6 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 21 March 2020 - 07:47 PM

Awww, that's too bad that she has had such a bad experience.  She's lucky to have an understanding owner!

When I bought her the board owner warned the other boarders to stay away, she's dangerous.  She gave me a black eye for trying to brush her forelock.  She was scared of everything including and empty canteen hanging from the saddle.  Once she decided I was more than just another trainer i could stand up on her saddle, crawl under her while loose in the arena, and she's been pack it in camping.  Her left ear is still not something she wants messed with though.  Every one at the boarding stable decided she was a lover.  She's my girl.

Pack Training

https://www.youtube....h?v=MajVMC4dsUM

Under the belly

https://www.youtube....h?v=EScxFZHT25k

Mike

• tuffyk, JRdesire and karens like this

~Author Unknown

#7 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,642 posts

Posted 23 March 2020 - 08:09 PM

Love the videos Mike!

Do you miss your arena?  You made a lot of memories in that arena.  I loved the set ups you did like the scare crows riding on top.  Another time, you set something up with nerf tubes or something- it was pretty cool!

#8 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,803 posts

Posted 24 March 2020 - 06:04 AM

Love the videos Mike!

Do you miss your arena?  You made a lot of memories in that arena.  I loved the set ups you did like the scare crows riding on top.  Another time, you set something up with nerf tubes or something- it was pretty cool!

Yes I do miss the arena but it was the reception I received I miss the most.  The stable had no riding trail access, it was trailer out several miles to the closest one.  One other side note.  Living with the horses here has them happy and they look forward to interacting with us everyday but gone is the almost insane excitement from only seeing us several times a week and for shorter periods of time.  The closest thing would be the excitement of dating compared to the happiness and contentment of marriage.  I guess absence makes the heart grow fonder.  LOL

Aspen watching me as I head for her corral or the arena

https://www.youtube....eature=youtu.be

Of course I can now enjoy interactions I couldn't at the boarding stable like breakfast

https://www.youtube....h?v=5JnWqC_HsbA

Mike

• tuffyk and JRdesire like this

~Author Unknown