Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:41 AM

https://wagwalking.c...ttic-entrapment

Hi.
I know it's not really an Arabian issue, however, does anyone have any experience with this? I Would love to hear any and all info you have on the topic.
Thank you!
Erika

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 06 January 2020 - 09:48 AM

I have never heard of it, but I read the information on that link and it sounds like if treated early enough that the prognosis is excellent.  Are you facing this condition with one of your horses?

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 06 January 2020 - 11:06 AM

I have a coming 16 yr old whom a doctor said it sounds like her issue. Haven't had an endoscope done. That doc said for her low to no use its not an issue. I have recently had another say she would be more prone to choke. I live rural, so surgery would most likely mean hauling some distance. Not to mention cost. I have been soaking her triumph complete with her joint pellets to help prevent sticking. Can't do that w her psyllium tho...idk...lol!
Choke is scary to me!
Thank you for asking :-)

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 03:32 PM

I meant to respond earlier and forgot.  Did the vet think your horse has had it all these years or something that has come on over the years?  How long have you had the horse?  I'm curious what her previous riding jobs have been.

#5 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 10 January 2020 - 08:26 PM

Yes, he thought she has had it all these years. I've had her coming up on 3 yrs. The person i bought her from used her in showmanship, WP and trail before me. Previous owners, before seller, said they barrel raced her but she wasn't good at it. This may be why...?

#6 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 11 January 2020 - 02:56 PM

Well, I hope you can figure out a way to keep her comfortable.  I understand the distance to a vet that could do the procedure.  I would just worry if the condition worsens.  I had a horse that would choke sometimes mostly because his teeth were so poor and some of his choke episodes scared the crap out of me.  I made soupy mixtures of his meals but sometimes he would still choke.  I always worried that I wouldn't be able to dislodge a choke and watch him die before my eyes knowing a vet would never get there quick enough.  

Good luck!

#7 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:18 AM

Can I ask how you dislodged the choke on your own?

#8 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 13 January 2020 - 09:51 AM

The horses are fed AM and PM in their stalls.  I always put his food in a rubber pan which forced him to stretch down to eat and since his food was always made into a consistency of soupy oatmeal, it seemed to work pretty well.  I then only fed him small flakes of very soft alfalfa. (I couldn't find soft enough hay in any other form he would eat)  I know many don't like to feed just alfalfa hay but it was more a supplement and give him something to do than a main forage for him.  I always stood by and watched him eat his AM and PM feedings in case he had any trouble getting food down.  It seemed like if I made his meal less soupy, he would pick up his head from the rubber pan and he would just hang his head about level with his back just standing there and then drool would start coming from his mouth.  That was my signal to go in and start aggressively massaging the bottom of his neck and under his throat.  Just taking my thumb and other fingers and making a circular motion going up and down, starting under his throat and working down.  My vet said to try never to massage up but massage down because you are trying to help him move it to his stomach.  

Fortunately, it was something I only had to do 2 or 3x and he ended up dying from colic a couple of years ago unrelated to the choking but it was always scary hoping I could get him.  As a side note, I never saw him have any problems eating grass while grazing out in the pasture.

Some of this might have been more info than you wanted, but thought it might be helpful to have some background.  In fact, he's the guy pictured in my profile posts.  

One other thing I wanted to add is if a horse chokes and food comes back out their mouth, just watch for any signs of aspiration.  If it is a bad choke (lasts a long time and they show signs of distress), aspiration can lead to pneumonia. 

#9 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 369 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:10 PM

Thank you so much for sharing this with me.

#10 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,599 posts

Posted 17 January 2020 - 08:29 PM

Of course.  Reach out anytime if I can be of any other help.