#1 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:02 PM

So we are having a small gathering. 6 I believe. The food is always the hardest part for me! We don't love turkey so we do some cow as well. Then the trimmings...do u stick w the expected? Try a new side? Shake up dessert? I'm leaning towards chocolate cream pie and a pecan something.... What about you guys? Do you brine your bird? Make ur own cranberry sauce or slice it? We are jellied out of the can people! Lol! And what do you make ahead to make your life easier?

Happy Thanksgiving everyone!!

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#2 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,769 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 14 November 2019 - 06:15 PM

We usually have Cornish Game Hens, Waldorf salad, stuffing, pumpkin pie, and other assorted goodies. It’s just the two of us and each year she goes to a lot of work. I always suggest that she take it easy and we could go out. This year she’s going to take me up on my offer. As for the crew they usually feast as well. They have no clue why but they sure don’t complain. Here’s a couple of pics from years past.

0EC8AF55-9EA6-4341-894E-3B99AD87AAF9.jpeg

EBD79FB3-2842-4FB7-9F8C-4688A9CAD875.jpeg

Mike
  • tuffyk, BFF and corasmom like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#3 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 14 November 2019 - 07:26 PM

I remember the days of big family gatherings with the grandparents, cousins, aunts, uncles and so on.  Lots of great memories.  The ladies would keep us kids from trying to sample the goodies before the big dinner, then the men would watch football and sometimes the woman.  Many would doze off into a snooze from the feast only to wake again for a pre-dinner "snack"....  and then by time dinner really was time most were too full to eat but the goodies were just too scrumptious to completely pass over.  So, turkey and ham sandwiches with a mixed array of the left over side dishes.

My family has dispersed so much over the years, those family dinners no longer happen.  I'm not married, no kids and so sometimes I will hang out with friends, other years I go volunteer somewhere and sometimes I just enjoy the quiet time at home.

I hope everyone has a wonderful Thanksgiving!

• tuffyk likes this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#4 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:39 AM

No turkey here.  We have prime rib.:)

• tuffyk and greygelding like this

#5 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 09:11 AM

Lol, there you go dragon!!
What sides do u make?

#6 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 15 November 2019 - 02:39 PM

Shrimp Ceasear with baked potatos

• tuffyk likes this

#7 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,920 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 19 November 2019 - 09:00 PM

Not having Thanksgiving this year. Best friend moved out of state. Husbands kids - one lives on the other side of the Country and the other spending her Thanksgiving with her Moms side of the family. 

So just two of us, no point in cooking.

If we were having it There would be Turkey for the Carnivores,  Vegetarian Lasagna for us Vegetarians. 

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#8 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,251 posts

Posted 20 November 2019 - 02:34 AM

Who else is having something "non-traditional"?

#9 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 947 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 20 November 2019 - 10:07 AM

I stopped cooking for Thanksgiving years ago, but usually go to my sister's, where she puts on the typical feast of turkey, ham, all sorts of veges, pies, etc. She has known she had celiac disease for about 10 years, so has produced both regular dressing with wheat in it, and gravy, etc. Plus a gluten free version of all those things. I've been a small contributor only. Now, my daughter is also with celiac, and I am going along with this trip, since there's so much evidence to suggest I have the same. So, we may all contribute more to the gluten free options. So this will be a big feast serving about a dozen or more, of mixed preferences. I admire my sister, and cannot imagine ever putting on such a production, myself! But I did just watch a program online by Chef Mohr about holiday cooking, so that is helpful. I learned to be proficient professionally, but not as a cook! Maybe time to learn more!

• corasmom likes this

#10 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 21 November 2019 - 12:36 PM

karens
Our son's girlfriend is gluten free as well as lactose intolerant. I am hoping to learn to cook yummy things for her.
It's all new to me, lol!
If you have any tried and true favorites would you please share?
I know it would be better for the whole house to do more GF.