• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 07:31 AM

Here's a new topic: food, and how does it affect our health?

Just soon after joining this forum, I sustained a very bad fractured femur. Long story, long recovery, lots of chronic pain, lots of body work, some improvements, but after 7 years, kind of at a standstill. Definitely impaired my sense of ability to ride. So, my daughter was recently diagnosed with celiac disease, which is total gluten intolerance, and my sister was diagnosed about 10 years ago with same. I've been checked, did not get that diagnosis. But my daughter told me the actual diagnosis depends on how damaged are your villi, the little fingers of the gut lining. I thought, darn, I take so many herbs, maybe it's interfering with that test. (I've had use of herbs interfere with doctors' diagnoses before.) I've even wondered if my mother had celiac, but that's another story. So, as my daughter undertook this journey, she being a very creative and inventive chef, I decided to join in that journey. I'd been "getting ready" for a long time, learning, using lots of gluten free, etc. So now, I've been just over a month being totally gluten free (GF). And my chronic pain has hugely improved! It's more like the shadow of the old pain that someone once asked me if it was like that. When I was asked that, I said, "No, it's a lot more than a shadow." Gluten is very inflammatory, at least in some cases.

By now I have other issues, as we all do, including bad IBS, and abnormal fatigue after doing normal life for too long at a stretch. So far, I can't tell the GF diet is helping those issues. So, I'm now looking at Paleo, which as a former vegetarian, sounded impossible to contemplate for a long time. But my kids are making me such healthy meals, fish and fresh veges, with great seasonings! It's very satisfying, and in fact, delicious. I'm realizing how much I've fallen into easy, processed comfort foods. Then widen my view to see how much the food industry has driven our choices in order to sell their products. I'm trying to work up to going more in the direction of natural, fresh foods, as our distant ancestors would have eaten, and avoiding prepared/processed foods more. One trouble is need for more frequent shopping, another is one has to really cook! I'm reading a book called It Starts with Food, by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. It's well presented, discusses the whys, encourage a 30 day elimination of likely offenders, then a gradual reintroduction, noting effects both ways. That helps a person pinpoint which foods may be their problems. Relates to all our problems, general health, or lack of it. I went from being a pretty healthy, energetic 62 year old, to having multiple problems. Yeah, I'm older, etc. But seems these poor food choices are hurting me. Or maybe, as we age, we are more sensitive, have added effects, who knows? I just know when I list what I need to give up (at least temporarily) - dairy, sugar, caffeine, alcohol, maybe nightshades, and GRAINS! It tosses up what I thought I knew, as I was educated in a system catering to the food industry! But if following this plan helps me know more clearly what are the offenders for me, then I'll be grateful!

That brings me to those topics we've touched on - how do all these processed foods affect our animals? horses, dogs, cats, etc. Clearly not good.

I invite comments, stories, about similar issues, how you've  dealt with things. Anybody done Paleo? Seems GF is quite common these days, around Asheville, very easy to find menus that make it easy.

Hope you day is great!

#2 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 06 November 2019 - 02:08 AM

where's the beef??

#3 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:00 PM

Well, the beef is in all of these diets, as they are not vegetarian. Each person has their own story. I grew away from eating meat as a teen, and was a lacto-ovo vegetarian, meaning I ate eggs and dairy, as well as grains and vegetables and fruits. So it's like a cruel twist that my health story made me resume eating meat. I've met folks who said the same, and I just recently realized I also have similar story. I was semi-starving with IBS, and was craving protein, eggs and meat! So I began to eat the meats I could manage to stand, like ground bison, ground turkey, organic all, and the rare steak. I've found I feel so much better energetically after I eat a meal of meat and veges! That's Paleo! So as I proceed into being a carnivore, I remain committed to eating ethically produced, and organic meat.

Someone told me last summer perhaps I should eat an auto-immune diet. I was surprised to learn about it, and it seemed near impossible! It is the most restrictive of the many I've been reading about. Looking into it led me to several variants. I found a great website that compared, but can't find it right now!

Paleo refers to paleolithic times. What did our ancestors eat before the agricultural revolution? Still trying to understand it, and it has variations too. But meat, roots, vegetables you can gather, fruits, natural sweeteners, sparingly, were on the menu. Not on this diet includes processed foods, sugar, alcohol, grains, (Grains! I thought! How can that be?) oh, and dairy. All the good stuff. 

Other related diets are the Whole 30, where one is taught to do a serious food elimination diet for 30 days, then gradually reintroduce, noting symptoms. That helps identify which other foods might be problems to remove from diet. Some diets forbid the nightshades, tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant.

So, this former vegetarian now finds a meal of bison burger, with spices, etc, along with sauteed kale and steamed, seasoned cauliflower, to be extremely satisfying, that I no longer crave a sweet dessert!

Gluten-free is actually more difficult to achieve. Gluten is a protein in wheat flour that stretches, holds together the bread. I think gluten-free (GF) bagels are terrible. Seems it's the gluten that makes them so good. Gluten is in many other things, some other flours, but mainly in processed foods that have some wheat part added. Which is very much. Celiac is absolute gluten intolerance, clearly have to totally avoid if one wants to improve. It's taken me a couple of years to get there. Some people have what's called gluten-intolerance, if their tests failed to indicate celiac, yet they improve with a GF diet.

Once in my early years, I would say my stomach was like iron, nothing bothered me. No longer. The incidence of autoimmune diseases are skyrocketing. Medical treatment is more palliative. But in at least some cases, dietary changes can make a difference. So far, my chronic pain is better, and now my gut function is more normal. The only major change has been going gluten free for about 6 weeks.

Well, crazy stuff, but I thought someone might find it of value in their life, or that of loved ones. And, if processed stuff is bad for us, then how about our horses, dogs, etc? I've seen that addressed on this board before. Any new comments?

#4 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,243 posts

Posted 09 November 2019 - 01:18 PM

I'm a diagnosed hypoglycemic.  Supposed to eat 5 times a day (never happens).  I eat lot's of protein - beef, chicken, pork, white ocean fish, shellfish and lot's of fruits and vegatables.  It works for me but everyone has to find there own diet.  Just stay healthy.

• karens likes this

#5 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 09 November 2019 - 07:39 PM

I used to be on a “see food diet”. I see food and I eat. LOL. A few years ago I discovered that I’m starting to have problems with sugar. I now eat like a human and watch my sugar intake. Hard to believe but I’m actually enjoying low or sugar free foods and no longer like the taste of sugary treats. I was stunned at the amounts of sugar and other “junk” in our foods.

Mike
  • karens likes this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown