#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 03 November 2019 - 07:18 PM

PG&E shut our power off on Saturday a couple of weeks ago at 5:00 pm. A high wind event was forecast and they were trying to prevent a power line failure from sparking another inferno. No power for us is almost a non event with the exception of horse water. We cook on propane, have battery operated camping lanterns, lots of flashlights, the shelters have solar/battery lights, bright rechargeable work lights, and a power inverter for TV. We made sure to stock up on animal food, filled bottles for people water, filled the bathtub for water to flush the toilet, and drained the 5,000 gallon above ground pool and filled it with clean untreated water. It gets really dark around here but we just snuggled down together and enjoyed the “adventure”. The weather was still hot so the carrot crew were happily drinking the water tubs down. By Monday night I was not looking forward to hauling water from the pool to the horses. There was no wind all day and I was hoping they would turn the power back on. They were expecting another two day high wind event the next morning so some areas wouldn’t be turned on just to shut them off again. As we were just finished feeding and securing the kids for the night my prayers were answered, the power came on! We hurried and dumped “old” water, scrubbed the tubs, and filled everything up with nice fresh water. We awoke the next morning to no power but I didn’t care. It returned again late Thursday afternoon and life has returned to normal. An inconvenience yes, but I slept really soundly knowing that we wouldn’t wake up to a large orange glow outside. Life is good here! My prayers to those in the affected areas.

Mike
  • tuffyk and karens like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:11 PM

I'm so glad you, Pam and the carrot crew are all safe!  I know you love your new place and how you have made it your home, but do you ever wish you would have picked someplace different to live with the constant threats of fire?  I can only imagine how expensive your homeowner insurance must be....  

Stay safe!

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:42 PM

When we were house hunting I got a quote of $32 a month for 5 acres in an area with mostly rocks and not much in the way of grasses. My premium here is $150 a month. I’ll take the grass over rocks and the fire risk in Ca. Is high. The winds push it into towns and cities where it’s not expected to go. Santa Rosa, Santa Barbara, various cities around LA and San Diego etc. Everywhere has its problems like hurricanes, earthquakes, blizzards, and of course tornadoes. My worst enemy here is time. 7 horses and a two horse trailer means I need some notice and will be the first to evacuate. As most know I have a written plan for evacuation including what to do if there’s no time, so hopefully nothing is left behind.
We discussed places to move to and this was our number one and we haven’t regretted it for a minute, not to mention I seem to have the happiest horses on the planet.

Mike

~Author Unknown

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:45 PM

Oh, there is no question you have a very happy carrot crew and I know you are very well organized.  I guess fire scares me but you have it under control.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#5 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,763 posts

Posted 03 November 2019 - 08:56 PM

Nobody has fire under control. You’re right to be scared, those that aren’t are headline news. We just try our best. Preparation is the only answer and sometimes it’s not enough.

Mike

~Author Unknown

#6 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 945 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 04 November 2019 - 06:36 AM

Thanks for filling us in with how you deal with the situation. I also would hesitate to move to CA because of the fires, but my son has become, like so many, used to dealing with that threat. I really appreciate how you describe your strategies for coping. without electricity, I mean, as well as fire threats. I feel we, as a collective society, many around the world, are so dependent on having electricity flowing, it poses risks if we are deprived of it. I've lived a short time, 3 months, without electricity, some years ago, voluntarily, here in Western NC. I loved it, and was frustrated at the same time, likely because we didn't have enough lights arranged. But one learns so much by coping with no water running, no electricity, etc. And the news tells us of various blackouts around the world. I think we must be prepared to survive when the power goes. I recall my aversion to high rises, hotels, hospitals, etc, as a real potential trap. Hope all continue to be safe!

• JRdesire likes this