• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 21 October 2019 - 05:49 AM

So, I have 3 horses.  My 2 year old is of course the lowest in the pecking order.  I've got a new Tough1 blanket coming this week but last year all of his blankets were ripped by his "pals".  It's not so much they are going after the blanket but this young guy likes to test the limits of his independence and the other 2 horses are constantly "reminding" him what's allowed.  They aren't beating him up, but he gets his fair share of reminders.  

I blanket all my guys and I've never had this big of a problem w/a horse having his blanket torn by others so repeatedly.  It got expensive last year w/repairs and replacements.  I'm thinking of putting a rain sheet over his blanket, but not sure if that's really much of a solution.  Could I separate him?  Yes, but then, he would get no time in the pasture to play.  Any ideas?

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#2 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 361 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 21 October 2019 - 08:45 AM

Maybe spray the areas most frequently chewed on with that no chew stuff? The no-cribbing stuff?

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#3 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 22 October 2019 - 04:43 AM

I think that stuff would wash right off, but I appreciate the thought.  If it gets bad again this year, I may just have to separate him from the other two and figure out a way to give him separate play time in the pasture. He's not a timid horse, but I'm hoping as he gets older maybe he will stand his ground a little better.  So frustrating.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.