• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 09 September 2019 - 09:50 AM

It would be interesting to hear from everyone what they paid for their hay this year.  

Here in the Kansas City area, prices were all over the place.  Most people here buy brome hay for their quality hay or mixed grass (often has weeds in it) if they are feeding livestock or pasture horses.

I think around here what is making buying square bales harder is less farmers are baling squares because it is so hard to find help and then some farmers are buying the equipment that doesn't require the help.  I can't remember what the equipment is called that sets 10 bales on the ground at once but then there is the grappler that comes after that to get the 10 bales.

The prices varied based on if you got it out of the field (usually adding another $1 to $1.25/bale out of the barn).

#50 Brome Square bales:  range $5 to $9.50

#50 Alfalfa square bales:  range $7 to $11

Brome round bales: $100 to $150

Brome round bales: $150 to $175

I bought 200 brome square bales at $5.25 picking it out of the field and then luckily got another 300 bales at $3/bale from an older farmer.  His bales were really good quality but his baler was old and the bales weren't very tight which made moving them sometimes a challenge but I was willing to deal with that given the price.

I've seen some folks here post paying $11 or more for square bales.  I can't remember what size they were but I would have to give up horses if I had to pay those prices for #50 bales.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#2 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:11 AM

Top quality Alfalfa 3 string approximately 100 lb $15 per bale at the feed store.

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#3 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 09 September 2019 - 10:17 AM

15.00 for 100lb 3 strand bales of orchard, meadow or alfalfa.

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,570 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:04 AM

It would be helpful to know where people are at when posting their prices, but I know both of you guys are in CA.  :-)

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#5 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,755 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 09 September 2019 - 11:09 AM

Sorry. Corasmom and I are both in the Redding area Northern California.

Mike
  • corasmom likes this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#6 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,236 posts

Posted 10 September 2019 - 02:56 AM

45 for 80 lb round bales of sprayed/fertilized burmuda - 5.50 for 70 lb square bales of the same hay.  Oklahoma.

Would love to find the quality of alfalfa that I used to get in Nevada but alfalfa out in this part of the country is stemmy and blister beetles are a major problem if you don't know the grower.

#7 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 937 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 10 September 2019 - 10:36 AM

True, the price of hay, as well as style, seems to vary over much of the country. Here in mountainous Western North Carolina, my vet recommended local grass hay, in square bales preferred. Turns out that's not the easiest to find, nor cheap. Options include square bales, 35-60 pounds, depends on baler. I have paid up to $12/bale of these, ouch! and pick them up myself. So when I connected with my current hay man, I can get the best (for local) hay I've had yet, at $5/bale, put in my barn by his workers. When I asked how he could afford to do that, he said he had to  put them somewhere, so if I'm ready when he's putting up hay, it's just as cheap for him, and then he doesn't have to think about those again! So that's my usual, then have to figure out my yearly need, which does change. If I run out, and have to get it from the local store, delivered, it's about $9/bale. As you know, buying randomly from strangers, one never knows what you'll get. Because of our status as a temperate rain forest, it is a challenge to put up hay here that smells sweet and is not moldy.

Round bales are quite common here, and I have used them. But having only one horse, it doesn't seem so good. The cost is about $30-40 per large round bale. Delivery is about $20/truck load. This would be most economical if I had more animals to feed.

Alfalfa is not grown around here, so buying it is going to a commercial brand. Pricey, ok if just giving a small serving, not to feed completely.

I have supplemented hay last year with bagged forage, as it was hard to get good hay here.

I remember being in CA and learning about the huge! square bales common in the Central Valley. Wow! Here at home, I can at least lift and move the square bales alone! Looks like you must have heavy equipment to move those guys!

Interesting thread!