• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 03 September 2019 - 10:30 AM

Ok, so in the interest of having some interesting things to discuss.  I would like to hear what people have done to minimize hay waste.

I feed only squares.  I have started using 2" square hay nets this summer, but still having some hay waste.  Am considering going down to 1" hay nets, even though it might frustrate them to no end.  I've seen lots of stuff out there from the drop down hay nets fastened to the wall, etc.

Just curious what others do.  With the cost of hay just going through the roof, wanting to be extra cautious on hay waste.  Mine are on brome hay and you would think they would just scamper up every morsel.  Well, a couple are pretty decent at that but one just likes to be a pig for some reason.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#2 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 03 September 2019 - 07:48 PM

I’m afraid I can’t help you with that. I feed by the flake. I seem to save most of my hay in these containers.

88A4D201-59CF-4C61-804E-1D59EB94553C.jpeg

Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself. I’m hoping someone will start a real discussion here, kind of like the good old days..

Mike
  • dragon and karens like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#3 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 02:27 AM

Only have one show horse in the barn right now and since I have stall mats and he only poops in the far corner feed on the floor - prefer "natural" head down eating.  Grain and his salt go in a 5 gal bucket on the wall.

The pasture mares are head down in the green grass most of the day except when I feed them their 14% pellets at lunch.

• karens likes this

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 04 September 2019 - 04:20 AM

I have plenty of green grass, but when its hot, they like to come up to the barn and stand in the shade.  I have a 20' leanto off my barn and so I have been hanging the hay nets under there so they have something to do when they are just hanging out.  I stall them during the winter and don't have issues when feeding hay in the stalls.  

I’m afraid I can’t help you with that. I feed by the flake. I seem to save most of my hay in these containers.

attachicon.gif88A4D201-59CF-4C61-804E-1D59EB94553C.jpeg

Sorry, I just couldn’t help myself. I’m hoping someone will start a real discussion here, kind of like the good old days..

Mike

I had hoped this would be an attempt at a real discussion.

#5 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 04 September 2019 - 08:18 PM

I too feed by the flake. I like to give free choice grass, but the vet said she's too tubby. So i use a nibble net. She doesn't love it,but it does slow her down and there's a lot less waste. Do you feed the giant squares wrapped in a net, sock type deal?
I've seen loose hay in LG feeders, like a round aluminum stock feeder, with a net over the top of the feeder.

Attached Thumbnails

• rs.jpeg

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#6 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,244 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 02:19 AM

Interesting feed bag.  What brand?

#7 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,917 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 05 September 2019 - 05:31 PM

I feed my horses Alfalfa hay. We feed by the flake and we throw it on the ground.  The only time we use nets is in the trailer or at a horse show.  We only use the nets at the show when they are tied waiting for a class and for the ones who like to watch the world go by during the day.

Curious as to what your bales cost and what they weigh. 

Out here currently Alfalfa is $20 for a 85-90 pound bale  Orchard Grass is now $29 for a 115 pound bale and $34 for Timothy for a 100 pound bale.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#8 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:06 PM

Hey dragon. The website is thinaircanvas.com
It's called a nibble net. It is expensive but I have had mine for nearly a decade. I have had goats eat out of them too. They're great!
BFF, I am paying 15.00 ea. for orchard grass and alfalfa. The bales are 3 twine, roughly 100 lbs.

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#9 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,586 posts

Posted 05 September 2019 - 10:18 PM

Buying hay seems to have become a sporting event the past couple of years.  Last year I was really behind the 8 ball and didn't get my hay out of the field like I normally do- was just too busy with work.  So, I ended up paying $7/bale for brome 50# bales out of the barn.  Meaning, I picked up the hay from their barn, brought it back and had a friend help me unload it in my barn.  This year, I started looking for a hay source in April and I was hearing prices from 50 to 60# brome squares from $6 to $9/bale.  Now, keep in mind we had a TON of rain and that was when it was pretty certain to be a bumper crop for hay.  Lots of people were pretty upset at the price gauging.  It's caused the price of boarding to go threw the roof.  I found some brome hay for $5.25/bale for #50 bales getting it out of the field but despite him having newer equipment, it kept breaking down.  So, then I went on the hunt for someone else and by some miracle found an older guy who had some super nice brome hay for $3/ for 50# bale so I bought way more than needed.  He said I can buy from him next year and I plan to but I worry his age/ health makes that not a sure thing.  

People didn't want to share who their hay source was because there was a drought last year and it caused hay shortages and consequently super high hay prices.  I really worry that horses will go hungry over winter because people can't afford the hay.  The only good thing is we have had green summers all summer long for the last 2 to 3 years which is highly unusual.  Our pastures usually dry up July until late August, but not the last couple of years- so horses and livestock have plenty of natural grazing options.  

Even though I got a super good deal this year on my hay, I get tired of cleaning up hay and I'm still reeling from last year's high prices.