#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:18 PM

This morning as the first light makes it possible to see the crew I pull back the shade to check the herd and guess who’s staring at me on the wrong side of the corral fence. Ask BFF, I’m sure she knows. LOL. I seem to have forgot to chain the isleway gate last night and Trooper found it early this morning, flipped the gate latch and pushed the gate open. He sampled Quazi’s and Sovayn’s breakfast but must have found Aspen’s tasty. I lay the morning flakes of hay out by the respective corrals for fast morning feeding. I’m sure Aspen was not too pleased watching him enjoying most of her breakfast. Then he went to one of the hay lockers, flipped open the lid, and snacked away. I rushed out and he came up to me like “It’s about time you woke up, where’s my grain?” I looked at the pasture and the other three horses, Shar, Rosie, and Mattie were just standing by the open gate and Aspen was guarding the isleway beside her corral. Trooper the fearless one had no problem causally strolling back into the pasture, ignoring Aspens flat ears while the rest were afraid to go down the isle way. “You go first!” “No, you go first!” “There’s no way I’m going past that mean looking mare!” So Trooper was the only one to take advantage of the situation. I love that boy.

Mike
  • tuffyk, JRdesire, BFF and 1 other like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,560 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 05 March 2019 - 07:36 PM

Funny how they have their pecking order and how they keep everyone else "in line".  I have one of those at my house too.  

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,744 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 05 March 2019 - 08:48 PM

Sovayn rules the roost, Aspen is second in command, Quazi in in seventh place, the other three shift places depending on their mood. Trooper on the other hand lives in his own little world, deferring to the dominate greys mostly but when it suits him he will impose his will on any of them including the top two. When we brought Quazi home and unloaded him, Sovayn went into his corral and stood in the corner closest to the trailer looking over the fence at the new arrival. Aspen came in and stood next to him about a horse width of space between them. Trooper sauntered in and placed himself between them and ignored the displeased looks both of them gave him. He just flat could have cared less. There was something to see and he wasn’t going to miss it. I’ve had a bunch of interesting horses and some were real characters, but Trooper is right at the top of the list.

ETA: He’s the Alfred E Newman of the ranch. “What, Me worry?”

Even when he’s being bad he does it with such style it’s impossible to be mad at him and we just laugh.

Mike
  • tuffyk and BFF like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#4 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,905 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 07 March 2019 - 02:35 PM

So, the jail break thing he got from his dam.  I swear if you did not chain the gate or fence or put the extra clip on the stall door she would have it open before you had walked 10 feet away.

Then there was the day when Troopers mom was about 2 1/2 years old and I went walking down to the barn and she was WEARING the gate.  You see she had put her head through the bars (probably to scavenge something) and then lifted her head up taking the gate off its hinges.  I was sure I was going to watch my horse kill herself.  But no, she just stood there and I managed to get the gate off her head.

Trooper is so cool. 

• tuffyk, JRdesire and greygelding like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050