#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:14 PM

When we picked up Quazi at Valley Horse Center, Jodi mentioned that due to his behavior she suspected he had a vision problem. Now that he’s been home for a couple of weeks now, I agree with her. At night he has problems finding his hay and his grain bucket. I offer him food by hand and he has trouble locating it. Tonight I was home before dark and played with him a bit, and while he can see he seems to have a blind spot or two. When daylight savings time arrives, I’ll have more daylight time to check him out. A vet visit is in his future. Hmmm, a blind horse? Should be interesting. It looks like he really needed to come here. Rudolph had the Island of Misfit Toys, and I have my Ranch of Misfit Horses. LOL

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 02 March 2019 - 09:55 PM

Awww, next time you get a chance- look at his eyes and see if his pupils dilate when you move your hand in a wand motion far and away from his eyes.  You can do it from different angles to get a sense where his "blind spots" might be.  I wonder if there is such a thing as night blindness in horses.  Do you mostly notice this when there is little or no light? 

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 05:42 AM

I did some research and horses can be night blind, mostly in Appaloosas. He shows signs of daytime problems as well. He has adapted to the problem and has no problem with the fences, trees, or downed tree limbs in the pasture. He’s enjoying running with the herd but his head position shows he’s compensating. His senior feed arrives in a flat pan now in a location where he won’t step on it and his hay arrives in an exact spot each evening so he’s enjoying meal times now without the food hunt. I’ve moved him from the “outside” shelter which stands by itself into Mattie’s shelter. It’s on the front line beside Aspen's so he has a horse near him at night for comfort. The insurance adjuster was out yesterday so now I can get to work on shelter repair. Mattie will move into the corral on the other side of Quazi so he will have a horse on both sides of him. Shar is an independent girl and will be housed in the outside shelter. It sounds strange but this is not the first vision impaired horse I’ve had and I’m actually looking forward to working with him. We'll watch him carefully and make adjustment as needed. He’s a very sweet boy.

Mike
  • karens and corasmom like this

~Author Unknown

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,554 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 03 March 2019 - 06:51 AM

I have no doubt he is in very capable hands!  

p.s.  It started snowing again last night and still snowing now.  They say we are supposed to get 6 to 8"   :(

• corasmom likes this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#5 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,217 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 01:48 PM

Do you know his bloodlines?  Cataracts maybe?  Just had to put a filly down who had out of control cataracts

#6 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,884 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 03 March 2019 - 07:58 PM

I will never forget a young lady who had a blind mare that she brought to me for breeding.

The mare had been fine but had an accident where she hit her head and from that point on was completely blind.

She had taught that mare to listen to her out on the trails and had cues for when they went down hills. Sure enough I watched her get on that horse

here- at a strange place- and went out on the trail.

Before we bred her we probably looked a little crazy as we made some noises and then bumped up against her rear end.  

She was a perfect girl to breed and she foaled a gorgeous black filly the next year and was an awesome mother.

Animals are so adaptable. 

• greygelding likes this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#7 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,714 posts

Posted 03 March 2019 - 09:38 PM

Mattie and Trooper have taken him under their wings so to speak. As long as they don’t think he’s trying to take their food they seem to be quietly showing him the ropes here. I lock him up in Mattie’s corral for the night and whenever I check it seems one or both of the Moorpark boys are standing peacefully at the fence keeping him company. During the day one of them is always near by while the herd is in the pasture.

Mike
  • tuffyk and karens like this

~Author Unknown