#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 19 February 2019 - 12:35 PM

Sunday after a few setbacks, including getting lost on my way to pick up Quasi, I finally arrived at Valley Horse Center in Dixon. Jodi Tuft graciously and generously made the long trip onto the L.A. area to bring him to her ranch. A few generous souls contributed to the fuel cost and I thank them as well. After a short visit with Jodi I dropped the loading ramp to the trailer and met my new “guest”. A bundle of energy, looking around at every thing, but easily handled. He had never been into a straight load trailer or one with a ramp either so I was unsure what to expect. I led him to the ramp, he inspected it, started to enter,and then literally hopped in. What I was expecting to be a possible trailer loading exercise was over in seconds.

https://m.youtube.co...h?v=tnbrm__keJY

The trip home was peaceful. Camera showed he was quiet, eating a little, and was glued to the window watching everything we passed and everything that passed us. He unloaded quietly and the three greys stood side by side in Sovayns shelter staring at the new arrival. He stood patiently while I secured the three who still had a shelter. He blanketed like a gentleman and I led him towards his new home, walking him over downed tree limbs and pvc pipe to see what he would do. What a nice boy. Entering the pasture with Pam standing guard on the pasture three, Shar, Trooper, and Rosie, I led him toward his shelter. Shar snaked her neck making it clear she didn’t want another her hose here. Rosie wasn’t happy either but Trooper was delighted. He fell instep with me like I had brought him a new pet. Turning him loose in his corral, he trotted around and inspected it completely. Then he approached Trooper and two of them were glued to each other. Ears perked, they sniffed noses through the fence panel and looked like lifelong friends. As I walked away, Trooper assumed his usual position beside me, and Quasi started trotting around his corral. I fed Trooper next to Quasi and all was peaceful again. Monday morning he was pacing his corral until Trooper came back and then I fed breakfast. So far he looks like a perfect fit and Trooper is delighted. An attitude change, a jump, and a chase is coming in the next post.

Mike

• corasmom likes this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 19 February 2019 - 04:16 PM

He was like, LET's GO!!!

Nice looking horse but does seem to need a little extra groceries.  Not bad though.  Excited to see how everybody gets along in the weeks to come!

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:11 PM

It turns out that he has no idea how to belong to a herd.  After work, I saw him pacing his corral and Sovayn and a couple of the others were quietly standing by his pen so I let him out to see what would happen.   Shar snaked her neck and let him know she preferred to be alone.   Aspen laid her ears and let him know who was second in command.  Mattie and Trooper greeted him like a frat brother.  Sovayn and Rosie chose to ignore him.  Then he started to stretch his legs and took a tour around the area.  He was very respectful of what I call fences.  I have pipe corrals for confinement and four wire hot wire, just over 4 feet tall, around the perimeter of the ranch, and separating the pastures.  The main flaw is a few places where it's two wire, three feet tall, like the one separating this pasture and the South Pasture.  The crew doesn't bother it and it's worked quite well.  I watched carefully as Quazi ran up to it, checked it out, and turned away for another run.  This time he circled around and came at Rosie and Sovayn.  Rosie pinned her ears and made a half-hearted charge at him.  There was nothing half-hearted about Sovayns response.  Teeth bared he charged at Quazi who may not be up on herd etiquette, but he knows how to beat a hasty retreat.  Seemingly satisfied, Sovayn let him go.  Then he made a mistake by returning to greet Sovayn.  I tried to intervene but Sovayn was determined to teach the younger horse a lesson.  With Sovayn in hot pursuit, Quasi headed straight for the short fence separating the two pastures.   I was sure that the fence was toast and I had also been told that Quasi had free jumped four feet running loose in the arena.  What I saw was not so much a jump but a smooth elevation of the horse over the fence.  He just floated up, tucked his feet, and glided over to the other side.  I stopped and stared and Sovayn stopped as well as if he was unsure what had happened.  While Quazi was racing around the south pasture, having the time of his life, I locked up Sovayn, then went to try to catch the grey streak.  Not to worry, he came right up to me and I returned him back to where his adventure started.  Putting everyone where they belonged I then fed dinner and called it an evening.  This morning he was standing peacefully in his corral watching me bring breakfast.   This evening I locked up Aspen and Sovayn then turned him out with the rest of the crew.  Tonight was a peaceful trotting affair as Mattie and Trooper took him on a tour.  He stayed away from Sovayns corral.  He also decided he wanted to move into Mattie's corral for the night as he can be next to another horse instead of alone in the separated corral he was in.  Mattie's fine with this as he gets to be loose all night now.  So, as I watched him quietly eating dinner it looks like he's settling in nicely.  Oh yea, he just loves to roll in the mud.  Boy would his former owner be appalled.  LOL

Mike

• karens likes this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,556 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 19 February 2019 - 08:15 PM

Think my heart would skip a few beats watching all that go down.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#5 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 20 February 2019 - 08:35 AM

Congratulations on your new addition.  I always said Trooper was the Wal-Mart Greeter!

• greygelding likes this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050