#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 25 January 2019 - 07:23 PM

I’ve always been interested in the interaction between people and horses. Most of my time throughout the years has been spent just enjoying their company and allowing them to be involved in whatever project I’m working on at the time. Now I’m in a temporary but extended period of working seven days a week. This has given me an unexpected chance to watch their reaction to my absence, or more correctly, my reduced time with them.
All still watch to see if I’m packing carrots but in general there has been a step back. Sovayn has attached himself to Pam and it’s a good match. Shar, who is fairly independent, hasn’t changed a bit. Aspen is still my girl but now has attached herself to Pam as well. Rosie has backed off from me a bit and is more horse like now. Mattie is extremely disappointed in me. He still comes up for treats but seems to be watching me trying to figure out where he went wrong. Trooper on the other hand sticks to me like a second skin. He seems to have figured out that my time is limited and he wants to hog as much of it as possible.
My final conclusion, right or wrong, horses want your time and attention and return it if given the chance. If you step back, so will they; unless you have a horse like Trooper. LOL

Mike

• tuffyk, BFF and karens like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 917 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 26 January 2019 - 07:44 AM

Very insightful, Mike. Thanks.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 07:00 PM

Boy, do they forgive fast.  I managed to take the afternoon off from my second job so I finally got to spend a daylight hour or three with the crew.  Everyone seemed happy to have me around, including Pam. LOL  Mattie, Trooper, and Rosie were turned into the yard and Trooper stuck to me like glue until he got bored with whatever Honey-Do project I was working on.  He then went to see to the systematic dismantling of the feed lockers so I put him back in the pasture as I already had enough work to do.  Aspen and Sovayn were trying their best to look cute enough that I might let them out and it worked.  Meanwhile, while I worked,  Mattie followed me around just like old times, even halfway into the tack room while I repaired the solar light system.  During breaks, he would hang around just waiting for me to do something new.  At dinner, he looks as happy as I've seen him so everything went back to normal just like flipping a switch. 

Mike

• JRdesire and karens like this

~Author Unknown

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 27 January 2019 - 08:31 PM

The best thing about animals is they just wanted to be loved and cared for.  No judgement, just genuine exchanges.  Animals don't understand when our lives get busy, but they always welcome as much attention as they can get from us.  You have a loyal carrot crew there Mike!

How is the weather out there?  

• karens likes this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#5 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,696 posts

Posted 27 January 2019 - 09:56 PM

The best thing about animals is they just wanted to be loved and cared for.  No judgement, just genuine exchanges.  Animals don't understand when our lives get busy, but they always welcome as much attention as they can get from us.  You have a loyal carrot crew there Mike!

How is the weather out there?  

Beautiful for the last several days.  Sunshine and in the 70's.  Rain returning this week.  The corrals are still muddy but the rest is firming up'  How's it your way?

Mike

~Author Unknown

#6 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,544 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 28 January 2019 - 12:37 AM

Oh, I would kill for 70 degree weather but living in MO- it's about what you would expect.  We have some snow on the ground.  Temps go down to the 10's or 20's, sometimes back up to high 30's in the daytime.  We had a MAJOR storm come through a few weeks ago and more than 100K people lost power.  A few had it restored within a few hours, some a few days and others nearly a week because the wet snow caused so many limbs to break under the weight of the snow and onto power lines.  So, in some cases utility crews couldn't restore power until the debris was removed.  I lost power for about 12 hours.  It was very cold that day.  Never been so glad to have heat after that.

p.s.  I remembered my password.  I got lucky that the site didn't kick me out/ lock my account for so many repeated tries to get back in.  

• karens likes this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#7 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,872 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 28 January 2019 - 08:58 AM

Trooper!!!!   :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:  :wub:    That is a horse who adores attention.  I will never forget when he was getting started and Debbie was working with him.  She would finish with him and take him back to his corral and he would literally balk at going back to his house.  He did not want to go back.  He would get so excited when she would arrive and was depressed when her work with him was done.

He is definiteily a people horse.  

• rethacharper and karens like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050