Photo

Favorite turnout blanket, anyone have a fav?

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:28 PM

So, my girl likes to stand out in the rain...bugs me to no end !
She doesn't get super hairy, and with some nights at or below freezing I'm thinking I should get her one. I think a light or medium fill would work, 150-200 g, don't you? She has a 12x16 stall with 24x24 run. So in theory she could stay dry....and if you would like to throw in opinions on the crossing surcingle, belly band debate that's cool! TIA!

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 04 December 2018 - 07:41 PM

So, not sure where "State of the Jefferson" is at.  It would help to know which state you are in.

Some of my favorite blanket manufacturers are Tough-1, Storm Tech and Brookside.  

Is your mare really active?  Do you have other horses that may want to pull at her blanket?  I ask because you will want to consider the durability of the blanket you buy.  Look for language that says "rip stop" or "tear resistant".  Nothing will be 100% but some blankets just built better than others.

I don't know that a belly band is really important for your girl, but if you don't want to deal w/the cross surcingles, that is a way to go.  Just know that if the belly band does come undone, she will likely step on it and tear the blanket to shreds the first time that happens.  When a surcingle comes undone, worst case scenario, you sew that back on (or have someone else do it) vs buying a new blanket.

Tail flaps are almost all standard now, but that would be something else you will want since she likes to stand in the rain.

I would not get a blanket that comes up high on the withers since she will be wearing it alot- it will likely wear off that part of her mane.

A couple of things I would really recommend is to buy one that has adjustable chest straps at a minimum.  Adjustable shoulder straps would be bonus.  Most of the Tough-1 blankets have adjustable chest and shoulder straps.  

As for the gram fill, you should be fine with that amount.  Hope that helps.

• corasmom likes this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 328 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:16 PM

Thank you! I'm in Anderson, CA. Hoping to become the State of Jefferson. ☺
https://www.statelin...lanket/E009976/
This is the one I was looking at. But it's only available in green or brown right now.
Would like something prettier ! Lol!

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#4 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 04 December 2018 - 08:54 PM

Yeah, this time of year the popular colors are either going to be out of stock or on back order.  Tough-1 has become my blanket brand of choice, they are super durable and fit my horses really well.  They still test them and require periodic repairs but nothing compared to some of the other brands.  

Tough-1 is sold on multiple sites.  I would just google Tough-1 blankets and see what comes up.  Tractor Supply sells them online.  I bought one recently cheaper online and had it shipped at no charge to my house, cheaper than buying from any of the regular horsey sites online.  Only problem was it was 1 size too big for my yearling and Tough-1 didn't make one small enough, so i had to go with an off-brand and it's not near the quality.  I will be lucky if we make it through the season w/this blanket in one piece.  He seems to like to do acrobats daily and is just in general tough on everything anyways.

#5 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 05 December 2018 - 10:55 AM

Interesting topic. I had always learned that horses don't need blankets here in NC, with fairly mild weather. But I watched my mare shiver in the rain at 50 degrees enough, I decided to go for one. So I bought one like this - https://www.statelin...ell above that.

Here is my question related to blanketing: it rains a lot here. The winters are mixed - can have rain, freezing rain, going into snow, as today. She has a barn, left open as a run-in, but generally she stays out in the weather! I worry about the possibility of her getting too wet underneath the blanket, and than getting pneumonia. The rain does go in under the neck area a bit.  It can be below freezing at night, then up to 60 in daytime, like yesterday. Then today with snow on the ground. So it's a real challenge to decide when to blanket her and when to leave it off. How much should I worry about leaving her with blanket on and it rain on her? Now, being retired, I'm home most of the time, so that allows me to be more on top of it. Still, it's hard. I do sometimes put her up, closed into barn, but not much, for many reasons, one is cleaning it! For now, I blanket her for cold dry weather, put in barn for really wet, cold, freezing rainy weather, and if not too cold, leave her without blanket and out if light rain and above 40. Got to go groom her today, to be ready for colder weather tonight, into the teens! Thanks for any comments about how you deal with the rain issue.

#6 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:39 PM

Corasmom I can not help you, I am a Native to Southern California, and I have never experienced a real winter.

:cowboy:  HorseSunglassesGif.jpg

• karens and corasmom like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#7 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts

Posted 05 December 2018 - 08:02 PM

Karens,

I think you have some valid concerns, with regards to her becoming sick from wearing a wet blanket.  Something you *might* consider is a light weight hood.  You can get one that doesn't go over the face or one that does.  But, since she seems to really like her blanky, she might also really like this as well.  It will go over the top of the blanket enough to keep rain from going in.  

I think the other option for you since you are retired and home more is to keep her up when its raining but I know that adds more cleaning work for you.  

I would just continue to watch closely if she is getting wet when blanketed like you are already doing.  And, until you figure out a solution, she is better off not being blanketed when she gets soaked w/a blanket or have a back up blanket you can swap when that happens so the other one can be dried out.  

I don't know if that helps, but those are things to consider.

• karens likes this

#8 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 05 December 2018 - 09:17 PM

We have 5 tough 1's and 1 Kensington.  All are dry and toasty in the rain, of course, they love their shelters.   When the blankets are wet outside I check inside and find warm dry horses.  Horses don't really need blankets just like we don't really need a lot of things ourselves but they make us happy and comfortable.  Mine are reluctant to be blanketed on "decent" weather evenings and practically dive into them on cold nights.  "listen" to your horse.  Horses in the wild, live just fine without them but I imagine a lot of them don't make it as far into their senior years either.  The two oldest seniors I have eagerly look forward to their blankets each evening.  Pam is home all day and removes the blankets as needed.

Mike

• karens likes this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#9 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 908 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 07 December 2018 - 05:06 PM

Karens,

I think you have some valid concerns, with regards to her becoming sick from wearing a wet blanket.  Something you *might* consider is a light weight hood.  You can get one that doesn't go over the face or one that does.  But, since she seems to really like her blanky, she might also really like this as well.  It will go over the top of the blanket enough to keep rain from going in.  

I think the other option for you since you are retired and home more is to keep her up when its raining but I know that adds more cleaning work for you.  

I would just continue to watch closely if she is getting wet when blanketed like you are already doing.  And, until you figure out a solution, she is better off not being blanketed when she gets soaked w/a blanket or have a back up blanket you can swap when that happens so the other one can be dried out.  

I don't know if that helps, but those are things to consider.

Thanks JRDesire, for your comments, and Mike, too. I had not thought about using a hood as you described. I like that idea. Think I'll look into adding that piece. Otherwise, continue as I'm already doing. I just feel bad for her when she's wet in the rain and cold. Thanks again.

I double checked my blanket, and it's from SSTack, so seems to be this one:

https://www.sstack.c...treme-turnouts/

I have found it durable and easy, on my older mare.