2 replies to this topic

#1 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 03 December 2018 - 07:07 PM

I will be free leasing a mare from a friend next year to use my Major Mac V breeding on. I want to have a contract to avoid any misunderstandings, etc. What needs to be included in the agreement?

Furthermore, what paperwork do I need to send Varian Arabians that covers the ultimate ownership of the (hopefully) resulting foal. I've never done this before and want to cover all the bases.

I do plan to add the mare to my insurance plan so she's covered during the length of the lease.  

Thanks for any tips and information.

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#2 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,860 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 05 December 2018 - 07:01 PM

Hi Kathy,

It is always good to have things in writing.  The Varian contract should have something in it regarding someone being a Lesee of the mare. I think if you inform the breeding manager of the change and that you are leasing the mare that might be enough, or they will possibly have you sign something.  In my breeding contract for Elikzir leasing is covered as follows - ".......s “Mare Owner” (recorded owner of mare). If mare is leased, a copy of the lease agreement is required. "

You will need the owner of the mare to sign a foal application as breeder and if you want have them sign a breeder designation that will list you as the breeder of the resulting foal or the eligible for registration but unregistered foal application

Cover in your lease what vet care you are responsible for.  Obviously everything to do with getting and maintaining a pregnancy is yours.  However cover what happens if the mare were to colic and need surgery.   What happens if she carries a foal successfully but is unable to breed again - would a loss of use policy also be prudent?    

GET YOUR LEASE AGREEMENT SIGNED BEFORE YOU TAKE THE MARE - I have leased a couple of mares in my lifetime.  The one that bit me in the butt was a mare I had agreed to lease.  I picked up the mare and had her at my barn prior to them giving me the lease agreement (My big mistake)  Because I had gotten her in October 1984 I planned to keep her and breed her in the spring.  It was not until November they sent me the lease and they insisted they have her back by Spring 1986 of what would have been only 13 months from me having her.   I immediately bred her..........yes for an October foal.    Why I did not send her back I do not know. Especially when they had not shared with me that she was a chronic cribber to the point where she would rather crib then eat at times.   She had an October 9th foal.  I wound up weaning it at just two months of age because Cribbing mom cribbed so much rather then eating her food her milk production was almost non existent at that point.  The vets and I decided better to have her away from Cribbing mom so that at least she did not learn that lovely habit.   So I actually had the mare back by January of 1986 and I think they were shocked.  My gut feeling at the time was they wanted to create problems. 

If I think of anything else I will let you know. 

• kathy s. and karens like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#3 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 08 December 2018 - 10:31 AM

Hi Kathy,

It is always good to have things in writing.  The Varian contract should have something in it regarding someone being a Lesee of the mare. I think if you inform the breeding manager of the change and that you are leasing the mare that might be enough, or they will possibly have you sign something.  In my breeding contract for Elikzir leasing is covered as follows - ".......s “Mare Owner” (recorded owner of mare). If mare is leased, a copy of the lease agreement is required. "

You will need the owner of the mare to sign a foal application as breeder and if you want have them sign a breeder designation that will list you as the breeder of the resulting foal or the eligible for registration but unregistered foal application

Cover in your lease what vet care you are responsible for.  Obviously everything to do with getting and maintaining a pregnancy is yours.  However cover what happens if the mare were to colic and need surgery.   What happens if she carries a foal successfully but is unable to breed again - would a loss of use policy also be prudent?    

GET YOUR LEASE AGREEMENT SIGNED BEFORE YOU TAKE THE MARE - I have leased a couple of mares in my lifetime.  The one that bit me in the butt was a mare I had agreed to lease.  I picked up the mare and had her at my barn prior to them giving me the lease agreement (My big mistake)  Because I had gotten her in October 1983 I planned to keep her and breed her in the spring.  It was not until November they sent me the lease and they insisted they have her back by Spring 1985 of what would have been only 13 months from me having her.   I immediately bred her..........yes for an October foal.    Why I did not send her back I do not know. Especially when they had not shared with me that she was a chronic cribber to the point where she would rather crib then eat at times.   She had an October 9th foal.  I wound up weaning it at just two months of age because Cribbing mom cribbed so much rather then eating her food her milk production was almost non existent at that point.  The vets and I decided better to have her away from Cribbing mom so that at least she did not learn that lovely habit.   So I actually had the mare back by January of 1985 and I think they were shocked.  My gut feeling at the time was they wanted to create problems. 

If I think of anything else I will let you know. 

Thank you!!!!  You have given me some things to consider going forward.

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.