#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 08 November 2018 - 09:59 PM

Sovayn has been wearing his blanket for a couple of weeks now as we could see he was a bit cold. A few days ago Rosie started to show the desire for a blanket and had been getting hers at night also. Last night there was a cold wind blowing so we broke out the blankets for the rest. Everyone went straight home and seemed to be looking forward to their warm toasty blankets. Rosie likes her front undone and the blanket placed on, while Sovayn likes the front pre-fastened, diving his nose straight down into the hole, he then lifts his head horizontal so we can slide the blanket down his neck and place it on his body. Of course everybody gets a carrot for a good job done. Aspen won’t allow the head through the hole method as it will touch those delicate ears. Shar places her head in the hole without fanfare then she lifts a front leg high up out in front of her begging for a treat. Have you ever tried to fasten the belly straps while a horse pulls on the blanket with a high front leg lift? It’s not easy until the leg returns to a normal standing position. The Moorpark boys each has his own style. With Mattie, the blanket hole is held out in front of him and he likes to quickly shove his whole head straight through. Trooper? Ah yes, Trooper. His blanket was unfastened at the front this time, but that didn’t stop him from looking for the hole. The nose shot forward until the blanket was halfway down his neck. He looked down and tucked his nose almost to his chest but things still weren’t right so he backed up leaving me with a blanket in my hands and no horse. He then stepped forward again and examined the blanket so I slipped it on him. Now he decided it was carrot time, so as I’m attempting to fasten the front straps, he’s checking my pockets and backing away in an attempt to get to my hands which are fumbling with the straps at his chest, but he’s sure I’m holding a carrot in them. We made it halfway across the corral when he decided to stop. Now that the blanket is secure he figured he needed at least 2 carrots for his performance. Yes, everyone wound up nice and toasty for the evening and, after feeding, we retreated into the nice warm house. With this crew, everyday brings a new surprise, and it should be an interesting winter.

Mike
  • tuffyk, rethacharper, JRdesire and 1 other like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:10 PM

Too funny Mike.  What's with your temperatures being this cold in California.  You are the sunshine state.  What temps are you having at night?  We got a little more than 2" of snow today but it won't last.  We haven't had this much snow this early in years.  

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 08 November 2018 - 10:26 PM

We’re dry here. It’s been in the forty’s lately which, except for the two oldest, just makes them frisky. Now it’s just entering the thirty’s overnight with a light wind, which is still OK for the hairy 4 but they’ve all got blankets and we want to make them as comfy as possible. Remember the spoiled part? Tonight Troopers blanket was latched in the front so he happily thrust his head through. LOL

Mike

ETA: About 32 degrees last night. Morning check shows all are warm and happy.

~Author Unknown

#4 tuffyk

tuffyk

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 143 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:16 AM

Does anyone know if Mike, his wife, and the horses are okay?

#5 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,536 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 11 November 2018 - 10:50 AM

Well, given that he's been posting about the happenings on the farm and the carrot crew as recent as 2 days ago, I would say all is well.

Mike?

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#6 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,676 posts

Posted 11 November 2018 - 07:12 PM

Thanks for your concern. I hope to never writing a fire story. We’re many miles from this disaster and reading about the loose, found and missing horses. It’s truly heartbreaking. We rejoice with each person, dog, cat, or horse found safe and morn with each one lost. Once again the Northern California communities have stepped up for the need. Food, clothing, and shelter is being provided as needed. People opening their homes and ranches for families and animals. I can take on a couple of horses if contacted and will provide full care until their owners are back on their feet. Everything is fine here and we sure want some rain so we can relax from our fire watch. The carrot crew is full of “P and V” and Pam opened the other pastures today. She enjoyed watching the 6 taking advantage of the 10 acre running room. Lots of bucking, rearing, and just good old running. I find it amusing that 5 acres is a bit boring to them but open up a “new” area and they’re off to the races.

Mike
  • tuffyk likes this

~Author Unknown