#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,669 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 07 November 2018 - 12:53 PM

Last night after voting we fed dinner. Pam hands out the hay while I dish up grain. It was Aspens turn to be loose in the yard so she snacks on any dropped hay she can find. When I head toward the feed shed she falls in beside me for her evenings work. That consists of watching me fill the feed buckets and begging for an early taste. She finishes her treat at the same time I finish dishing out the grain. I step out and close the door carrying 6 buckets and she falls in step with me with her head at my right shoulder. When I stop to feed the first two horses, Rosie and Trooper, she stops with me, standing patiently until I move on, never trying to raid the buckets. Shar is next and this is where she leaves me. When I reach Mattie she has already turned left, up the isleway, into the pasture and is heading toward her corral gate. As I’m reaching her shelter with her bucket she is arriving with her usual perfect timing. Sovayn eats last but Pam is working her way in the other direction feeding hay. I usually go close Aspens gate and the isleway gate. This is the step I forgot. I top off everybody’s water buckets, hand out mint flavored horse treats for desert, and then sit on our bench swing with one of the stray cats sitting on my lap purring. Then, Aspen strolls by heading for the hay cart where some has is left. That’s when it dawns on me that I missed a step in the evening routine. She’s happily munching away looking at me with that sweet expression, so I wait a few minutes before I call her to go home. She continues to look at me like “You talking to me? You can’t be serious!” I head to the feed shed, put a little grain in a bucket and head back. With an expression of “Now you’re talking”, she heads to the isleway and back home. Noting that she hadn’t actually finished her dinner, I give her most of the grain anyway, but took a large handful for Mattie to eat as I close the gates. Spoiled? Nah, not my horses. Oh by the way. Everybody else started nickering when they saw Mattie and Aspen getting an after dinner snack so you can probably guess what I did next. The carrot crew really has a tough life.

Mike
  • rethacharper, BFF, karens and 1 other like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,527 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 07 November 2018 - 01:14 PM

Ahhh, yes, they have a tough life indeed!  You are such a wonderful writer.  I've told you before I think you should find a way to make money from your writing.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.