38 replies to this topic

#11 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 20 November 2018 - 12:18 PM

White Horse is gone, Black Horse is gone......This site will be gone soon if people don't start making use of it.

#12 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 20 November 2018 - 04:32 PM

Well I even started a topic but no replies.  People are too busy.

I do not even know who is in charge of this site any more.  

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#13 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 21 November 2018 - 06:25 AM

I feel I don't have "topics" of interest, though I have loved to follow threads. I recently joined Aging Horsewomen on Facebook, hahaha! I turn 70 this coming January! And I'm still crazy enough to imagine I'll do some riding one day. Meanwhile, I got 3 Arabians about 7 years ago, after a life with horses off and on, with the goal in mind to start endurance riding! Another hahaha! I was going to learn to train these Arabians, and put more energy into this end as I entered retirement! I was also going to breed the two mares, right? They were from the sad breeding farm dispersal in NJ a few years back. Well, we can't write our story, though we can keep trying. I sustained a severe broken femur within one year of getting my 3 Arabians, while feeding them, got ran into by one of the mares, who was just trying to get to her food.....so my story changed. I gave away the mare who had ran into me, as I approached a winter walking with cane into pasture to feed hay. The gelding was super, well trained, perfect, and he died about 3 years ago, likely from Potamac horse fever, in spite of veterinarian care, even a month after getting a PHF vaccine? If I still had him, story might be different. So I have this one lone aging maiden mare, Series Seneca, a hot one that one! I've spent enough trying to get her trained, and I'm still told by my last trainer not to get on her unless a professional is here. I'm still not "over my broken leg", will always carry chronic pain. Mare is too old now, and foundered under my care here in semitropical North Carolina, so no breeding for her. I also realize my age is against me making that choice. So, that's my story! I still entertain getting another horse. This time a gaited smooth riding horse, for my body's ease, and child-proof for me at this point! Maybe I could get out there and do some LDs, but still I don't have anyone to ride with easily. So me and Seneca get along well, here at home, nothing new. Take her out, she gets super excited! I wish I was an Arabian breeder! I tried at one time earlier, but my career took preference at that time, and it didn't develop. I can't decide to get another horse, considering the cost, my retirement, fixed income, and various issues. Maybe something will change! Meanwhile, I loved reading this forum! I have no idea how to revive it.

#14 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050

Posted 21 November 2018 - 08:35 AM

Karens you can still get those LD Endurance rides done.  Might I suggest a Missouri Fox Trotter for your endeavors.  They are so smooth and they are so easy going.

I had a Foxtrotter for years up until recently.  Just a super horse.  I like them personally better the Walkers. 

You should see about placing the other horse you have so you can have a horse to ride and enjoy.

• karens likes this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#15 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 10:12 AM

White Horse is gone, Black Horse is gone......This site will be gone soon if people don't start making use of it.

I think Black horse bulletin board ceased when the owner of the sites son was murdered.  If my memory serves me correctly. 

Now you can not even go back and see the old threads which is a shame. There were some amazing discussions over there and a bit more freedom of speech/opinion then we enjoyed here in the later years of this boards activity.This board lost a lot of members during that time ( during the illegal/criminal seizure of horses in Maryland) because of that and those members never returned. 

#16 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,730 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 21 November 2018 - 12:54 PM

POPULAR

I post about the daily life of the Carrot Crew and hope for more serious posts or any other posts for that matter. I don’t really care for Facebook but I do have a page. Sometimes I consider just not posting, maybe doing an email update for the few who seem to like reading about the non serious side of horse ownership.

Karens: there are quite a few seniors, both horses and riders, doing LD rides, so don’t give up on your dreams. You never know what the future holds. I have considered doing it when I finally retire and have the time. If you do make it out to northern California again be sure to stop by.

Mike
  • tuffyk, kathy s., JRdesire and 3 others like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#17 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,218 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 03:31 PM

I don't Facebook and don't intend to so an Arabian forum is important to me.

• JRdesire, BFF and greygelding like this

#18 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,894 posts

Posted 21 November 2018 - 07:01 PM

Dragon I held out on Facebook for as long as possible.  However it has been the route to go in terms of reaching people for Breeding and Horse Sales.

Thanks to Facebook my stallion Elikzir++/ has some incredible mares expecting next year. We have a Supereme National Champion Producing mare in Pennsylvania, as well as an amazing Pure Polish Mare in Canada of the most impeccable lines , and from Fresno California an Ecaho Daughter and a mare whos last foal was exported to Saudid Arabia.

I would have never been able to reach those people otherwise.  

It has also been amazing in terms of selling horses.

I do love the bulletin board format which is why I keep coming back here. 

I would have never met Mike and Pam had it not been for this board.  Two of the most wonderful, kind and loving people that have ever been on the planet.  I love reading your posts Mike. You better keep writing!

• rethacharper, JRdesire and karens like this

#19 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:00 AM

Karens you can still get those LD Endurance rides done.  Might I suggest a Missouri Fox Trotter for your endeavors.  They are so smooth and they are so easy going.

I had a Foxtrotter for years up until recently.  Just a super horse.  I like them personally better the Walkers. 

You should see about placing the other horse you have so you can have a horse to ride and enjoy.

Thank you, BFF, for your supportive comments. I have begun to look for gaited horses. There's not too many MFT around here, but Rocky Mountain horses are not so rare. I just read about them, originated as a Kentucky Mountain Horse, with blood infused by a Rocky Mountain Stud, thus the Rocky Mountain breed came from Kentucky! They are also super smooth, and calm in disposition. I could likely pick up a TWH for little around here, and it's the time of year for folks to let go of horses they cannot afford to keep. Trouble is, .......lots of issues. The most desirable cost more, surprise! Of course, it is possible to ship, but I do like seeing a horse before acquiring it.

Another is the idea of placing my mare....I've read plenty on here of the perils of placing an aging horse with health issues. My trainer reassures me she's happy in my 1 acre pasture, and could be the companion to another horse. And at this point, I imagine we have developed some rapport on the ground. Then I wonder if I will carry off these dreams. But, thanks to Mike also, for continued encouragement. Why not! Well, of course there are answers to that as well. But I have found that a dream held onto often manifests!

I hope this forum continues, so folks like me can reach out for support and encouragement.

#20 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 924 posts

Posted 22 November 2018 - 09:13 AM

Though several have tried to assist me, I still am clutzy regarding posting photos here. So I'll paint a word picture. Yesterday, it was great, how my little animal family worked. I let Seneca into my yard, where some green grass persisted, and she grazed while I cleaned out her barn space, and the water tub. While doing that, my 2 Border Collies fanned out, in the pasture, watching the horse like good shepherd dogs. I swear, my horse understands some English like my dogs. I said, maybe I should bring you in to eat some grass, and she nickered more enthusiastically than usual for food. Then, when ready to return her to the pasture, I got the pellets in bucket, shook them, and pointed at the open gate. She went right in, dogs came back into yard, and all was good!

I noticed something about her that I want to relate to Mike and Pam. While visiting them, they showed me how one of the Varian horses would not come out of the stall even with the stall door open, until told to come out. That they were trained that way. Later, I noticed that when I bring the horses into my backyard, I'd place a rope loosely attached across the way to the back patio. On occasion, it would fall down, and lie on the ground. I noted that my horses would come up to that rope, but having learned that was a limit, they never crossed over it, though it lay on the ground!

• kathy s., BFF, greygelding and 1 other like this