#1 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 27 July 2018 - 12:04 PM

As the fire raced into Redding, Pam and I were on full alert tracking it’s progerss. It stopped short of my “failsafe line” so we called it a night about one a.m. My evacuation starts earlier than most as it would take me at least an hour round trip and probably longer with traffic. You just can’t stuff six horses into a two horse trailer so it would take three trips. It’s not just beating the fire but beating the roadblocks keeping everyone out. I’m at my full time job today but we’re all keeping an eye on the fire. My part time job is in a mandatory evacuation zone so I may have tomorrow off. Whole neighborhoods are gone as well as individual structures. We’re ready but planning can only take you so far. Winds expected to pick up around 2:00 this afternoon so we’re not in the clear yet.

853718E8-FC8F-41A2-B073-5F40B9FCAF0A.jpeg

3E37EFF8-807F-4BFB-8381-E7D61CAD6C38.jpeg

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 02:40 PM

As the fire raced into Redding, Pam and I were on full alert tracking it’s progerss. It stopped short of my “failsafe line” so we called it a night about one a.m. My evacuation starts earlier than most as it would take me at least an hour round trip and probably longer with traffic. You just can’t stuff six horses into a two horse trailer so it would take three trips. It’s not just beating the fire but beating the roadblocks keeping everyone out. I’m at my full time job today but we’re all keeping an eye on the fire. My part time job is in a mandatory evacuation zone so I may have tomorrow off. Whole neighborhoods are gone as well as individual structures. We’re ready but planning can only take you so far. Winds expected to pick up around 2:00 this afternoon so we’re not in the clear yet.

attachicon.gif853718E8-FC8F-41A2-B073-5F40B9FCAF0A.jpeg

attachicon.gif3E37EFF8-807F-4BFB-8381-E7D61CAD6C38.jpeg

Mike

How scary.    :(    You, Pam, and the crew stay safe.

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#3 saarabs

saarabs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 27 July 2018 - 08:18 PM

I have been sneaking on here, checking on you. Was worried about the fires.

Halim Bahim Star SE, Blue black Rabicano Gelding
Psyches Psyche SPA chestnut sabino gelding
Javalls Miracle- Pintabian Chestnut tobiano gelding

Serenity Acres Arabians

#4 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:24 AM

The smell of smoke is oppressive this morning. Another hot day without sun is ahead as the whole area is still covered in a thick cloud of smoke. The carrot crew all greet me as usual for breakfast which always brightens my day. Another late and mostly sleepless night spent trying to keep up with fire news. I almost moved four of the horses after work yesterday but decided not to as the fires progress is that of a “normal” fire now. It has turned south west and is slowly eating its way towards another small town which is under mandatory evacuation. I’m not working at my part time job today as it’s location is under mandatory evacuation as well, but I wouldn’t have left the ranch today anyway. To give an idea of the scope of this thing, it takes me 35 minute to drive there. They say over 500 homes lost but I would be surprised if the final total isn’t well over a thousand. Animals loose or missing, and a lot of people are homeless now. On the other hand there has been an outpouring of human goodness here. People are opening their homes and ranches for people and animals to take refuge. As for us, all is well so far and having an evacuation plan is place has kept us calm in the face of a crisis. Arrangement are in place for the horses and in case you are courious, the evacuation order is as follows. First trip- the “Moorpark twins”, Mattie and Trooper. Next is Shar and Sovayn, followed by Aspen and Rose. As soon as the next town north from us get a voluntary evacuation advisory, I will start our evacuation as well. It’s going to be a long, worrisome weekend.

Mike

~Author Unknown

#5 mi-ownarabians

mi-ownarabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 77 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 06:39 AM

Prayers going out to all in the path of these fires.   Please be careful....

#6 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:17 AM

Update: 8:15. Loading first load. Town north of us under possible evacuation warning.

Mike

~Author Unknown

#7 saarabs

saarabs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,797 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:18 AM

I am praying for you

Halim Bahim Star SE, Blue black Rabicano Gelding
Psyches Psyche SPA chestnut sabino gelding
Javalls Miracle- Pintabian Chestnut tobiano gelding

Serenity Acres Arabians

#8 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,827 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 28 July 2018 - 07:44 AM

Mike, as a fire victim and in a wildfire area, I recommend that you install the Scanner Radio app.  

DO  NOT count on the Fire Department to issue an evacuation.  I can tell you it does not always happen.  During our fire I called the fire department and said our

neighbors property was ablaze and where were they, the dispatcher said "What Fire".   

During the month of the Thomas Fire I lived with this on and slept with it next to my bed.  Several times people reported fires near me and I literally jumped out of bed and was going to get ready to get the pets out.  My horse trailer was hooked up and backed up to my front door to quickly load my pets.  Fortunately folks had a wrong perspective many times of where the fire actually was.

I bought the paid version of this.  Best app ever for those of us in fire areas.

Here is the Android link .        https://play.google....rradio&hl=en_US

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#9 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,639 posts

Posted 28 July 2018 - 10:10 AM

I already have that app and reliable info is difficult to come by. They haven’t issued any evacuation warnings to the north of us yet and it may not come to that. Right now it’s just a possible evacuation order later today but I’m not waiting. It takes 3 loads to clear the ranch and I’m doing it now. The first load with Mattie and Trooper are safe and sound at Rolling Hills Equestrian Center. Getting ready for second load now. I’ve worked fires in the past and I refuse to take even the smallest chance with my kids.

E637E732-E746-45ED-9C1C-13C5CC887C0A.jpeg

7A0CE08F-B33A-4A85-B92A-1E09C6316D6B.jpeg

Mike
  • kathy s. likes this

~Author Unknown

#10 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 892 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 28 July 2018 - 01:12 PM

Oh my! Prayers from here as well. Keep us informed as you have time. What a great example you are, of taking such good care of your kids!