Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:04 AM

POPULAR

Extreme Punishment

Sheila Varian used to tell a story about being able to punish one of her stallions with just a flower. When you spend as much time as I do with your horses you, and they, come to expect a certain type of behavior from the other. Any display of displeasure becomes a reprimand for them and a physical blow becomes mostly unnecessary. A severe punishment for Aspen is a gentle poke with a finger. I turned Mattie out the other evening for “favored horse” treatment. As I walked down the isle way between the corrals, Mattie, in his excitement, bumped me hard from behind on my bad shoulder. Now, that hurt and an anger built quickly within me. He was about forty feet from me, stopped, and looking at me alertly. Aggressively I approached him shaking my finger at him and in a low voice, not usually heard by the carrot crew, I said, “DON’T YOU EVER RUN INTO ME AGAIN!”. Looking a bit alarmed he was unsure what to do and I pointed toward the isle way and ordered him to go home. In a big bold trot he did exactly that. I latched his gate and, much to her delight, I let Aspen out. He had just forgotten himself in his desire to go out and now all is well and he is careful around me once more. Boy am I hard on them.

EC37256E-FD55-4606-B6D9-2DE764EAA01D.jpeg

Mike
  • ladycascabel, ShadowfaxArabians, kathy s. and 3 others like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 05 July 2018 - 07:22 AM

Oh my goodness Mike, I think we should call animal control.  LOL

You are such a kind spirit!!  A good reminder for us all as we bustle about our day.  

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.