greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 28 June 2018 - 12:04 PM

Sneakers

A young possum appeared at the bottom of a trash can at work last week. We turned him loose outside but that afternoon he returned. During the week we would occasionally spot him sneaking around the shop. This week he was found at the bottom of another trash can so we decided a new home was needed. Calling animal rescue was no help as they only deal with injured animals. You can’t just release a hungry young animal anywhere without making it a probable death sentence so now what? Well, you can probably guess what! I came home with a new temporary pet. Angry and a bit lethargic he just hissed at us from the bucket that evening. Determined not to release him until he had at least a fighting chance at survival, we transferred him to a cat carrier furnished with a soft blanket, water, and plenty of food. An hour later we checked on him and he had polished off the food and now we had an energetic and feisty opossum on our hands. The cage was sitting on a bench on our front porch where as darkness fell, our resident opossum came by and made friends with sneakers through the cage door. We turned him loose later and it looks like we now might have two happy opossums on our hands in addition to the other various visitors. Deer, jack rabbits, quail, grey squirrel, Fox, and a large variety of birds- humming birds, blue jays, woodpeckers, and doves just to name a few.

EAC5C2FF-D658-4A92-AC4B-45821016FAAB.jpeg

Mike
  • ladycascabel, tuffyk and JRdesire like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 28 June 2018 - 01:14 PM

DO NOT allow possums around your horses!!  They carry EPM and pass it through their feces.  Where ever they poop is contaminated and if your horse grazes in the same spot they could be in big trouble.  Even if you treat and they recover they have lifetime problems.

The best way to take care of possums is a bullet in the head.

• OHR likes this

#3 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 28 June 2018 - 06:04 PM

Awww Mike.  Your such a great guy to care for all critters.  I'm sure you know the risks of these guys.  Do you think maybe you could rehome him to a park where you take the horses to ride the trails?  I'm not super fond of possums, but he is pretty cute.  

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#4 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 29 June 2018 - 09:09 AM

oops!

#5 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 01 July 2018 - 01:45 PM

Awww what a cutie. 

--------------------------- 

Question:   I heard horses could get EPM from opossums. True?

Answer: Equine Protozoal Myeloencephalitis (EPM) is a neurological disorder caused by a parasite. The opossum and a parasite called Sarcocystis neurona have been implicated although current research suggests other hosts and other parasites may be involved in disease transmission. The infective form of the parasite is passed in the feces. If a horse eats contaminated feces then it could develop neurological signs. It should be noted that the majority of opossums are probably not shedding the infective parasite and that of the horses exposed to the parasite, very few will develop EPM.

https://opossumsocie...rg/faq-opossum/

• ladycascabel, JRdesire and greygelding like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#6 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 02 July 2018 - 02:05 AM

I see them I shoot them

#7 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts
  • Interests:horses of any breed and discipline, equine color genetics, photography, reading, classic movies

Posted 02 July 2018 - 05:23 PM

There are no opossums in our area yet horses still get EPM occasionally. I don't kill an animal just because it MIGHT cause a problem. We don't even kill rattlers.   

• BFF likes this

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#8 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,198 posts

Posted 03 July 2018 - 01:23 AM

I have to keep feed in drums with lid's because possums got into it and they ###### where they eat.  As far as killing them on sight, to each his own.

#9 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,651 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 03 July 2018 - 12:00 PM

I have to keep feed in drums with lid's because possums got into it and they ###### where they eat.  As far as killing them on sight, to each his own.

We’ve always kept feed in lidded containers because of the zoo we welcome here. The hay is not readily accessible to those who favor it. Offerings are left out for our “guests” in non horse accessible areas. Each must do whatever they think appropriate for the good of their horses. If I think something is a danger to my carrot crew I will dispatch it immediately.

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#10 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 03 July 2018 - 04:27 PM

Mike, we all know you take TOP NOTCH care of your 4 legged children.  I stand by my statement long ago that if I ever came back in this world in another life, i would want to come back as one of your horses.  

• ladycascabel and greygelding like this
I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.