Photo

Equine Insurance Carrier recommendations?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 23 February 2018 - 07:09 AM

Anyone have any equine insurance carriers they recommend?  My Jarvis policy upped my premium more than $80 and there has never been a claim on him in the 3 years I have been with them.  

I'm not interested in Great American.

Please share your experiences.  Thanks.

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#2 HGEsquire

HGEsquire

HG Esquire+

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,320 posts
  • Interests:I treasure my children, all my grandchildren and of course my dear husband Robert. I place high value on my family and are endeared to our horses and good friends. What else is there????

Posted 23 February 2018 - 01:39 PM

Only because I work in the insurance industry (not equine) can I say that premiums are not solely based on claims.
We hear the same about home, auto, etc. and have to explain to the insured that each year the risks change therefore premiums can either increase or decrease. Premiums are based on zip codes, travel, age of home, car, horse, breed, etc. And claims as well if there are any. An algorithm system is used to generate premiums rather than the agent. I hope this information proves somewhat helpful even though it doesn't help reduce your premium.

And now I have a question for you. That is if you don't mind sharing. Why is it you aren't interested in Great American? I used them in the past for a short period and am also currently researching equine insurance.

Denise Gainey

HG Esquire+, Rated 'E' for EVERYONE
GCA & Sport Horses on Facebook

Where Quality & Friendship Matter!

#3 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 24 February 2018 - 07:51 AM

Call Equine Insurance in Southern California.

Ask for Romesh, he will get you the best policy for the price, tell him no Great American.  There are other options.

I do all my horse policies through them.

(626) 445-2100

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#4 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,699 posts

Posted 24 February 2018 - 09:44 PM

Ask for Romesh, he will get you the best policy for the price, tell him no Great American.  There are other options.

(626) 445-2100

I have had Jarvis for years, but last year my deductible was increased to $1000. My horses are covered for mortality ($10,000 for mare, $5000 for gelding), $7500 colic and $7500 major medical each. Is there something better out there? Jarvis has been wonderful re paying for the 2 claims in 12 years. Oh, my premium run $900/year for both horses. I don't mind paying a bit more for a lower deductible, but Jarvis would basically double my premium to lower the deductible.

TIA for any advice or tips. 

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#5 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:43 AM

Only because I work in the insurance industry (not equine) can I say that premiums are not solely based on claims.
We hear the same about home, auto, etc. and have to explain to the insured that each year the risks change therefore premiums can either increase or decrease. Premiums are based on zip codes, travel, age of home, car, horse, breed, etc. And claims as well if there are any. An algorithm system is used to generate premiums rather than the agent. I hope this information proves somewhat helpful even though it doesn't help reduce your premium.

And now I have a question for you. That is if you don't mind sharing. Why is it you aren't interested in Great American? I used them in the past for a short period and am also currently researching equine insurance.

Denise Gainey

Sorry for the delay in responding.  I am not getting my email notifications anymore from this site and I'm not sure why.  

To answer your question about Great American?  They are happy to accept your money until there is a claim.  Their claims agents will not return your calls, do not respond to emails and just VERY VERY difficult to work with.  I get that their job is to protect the interest of the company and that is fine, but when I pay my premiums and my claim is within the bounds of the policy, I expect to be able to reach the claims agent when there are questions- especially when my rep is unable to answer the questions.

• kathy s. likes this

#6 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 04 March 2018 - 11:48 AM

(626) 445-2100

Thank you BFF.  I will give them a call tomorrow.  I've been traveling so much, this temporarily fell off my radar until I was sorting through papers and realized my deadline was fast approaching.  

#7 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,519 posts

Posted 07 March 2018 - 12:23 PM

Just curious what people think of Hartford.  Anyone have any direct experiencing with them as an Equine insurer?

#8 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 09 March 2018 - 07:19 PM

I still have Jarvis. I looked around after the policy price was increased and I couldn't find anything for mm and mortality that wasn't 2x the price of Jarvis.

I don't have any experience and don't think I talked to Hartford though.
  • kathy s. likes this
Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous