• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 18 February 2018 - 09:22 AM

Hi folks. Thought I'd introduce another new topic. You may or may not recall, I live in the lush temperate rain forest of Western North Carolina. Wonderful green lushness, right? However, I"m getting older, and some of the weather details here are no longer as appealing to me as they were when I moved here at age 28. Now closing in on 70, having had a major fracture of femur 5 years ago, feeling much better now, but now feeling the cold, damp, dropping pressure in my bones, etc, and really disliking the winter weather, which is sort of cold, not like the great Northern areas, but still, cold and wet in winter. If it would snow and stay really cold, like 20-25, sunny, with high pressure, I'd be good with that. But it goes from dropping to around 0 F, up or down, to warmer. Lots of rain when it's above 30, sleet when it's near 30, leaving so much mud to slog through outside. I know some of you deal with similar stories. I'm not writing to complain, rather introduce my current strong desire to winter somewhere else, warmer, etc. I've spent a number of visits to Mexico over the past 25 years, and love it so much! So, I"m working on a plan to get a house sitter next winter, to spend at least 2-3 months in sunnier places. I've retired again, so am free to travel apart from my homestead, animals, etc, which of course is not a small thing. Of course, I could consider a few places in the US, but cost is another consideration. Sunny Southern California would be lovely, but also cost more  than where I  am now. OK, I also don't tolerate high heat and humidity,  getting picky aren't I! The places that appeal most are the high plateaus of central Mexico, not so cold in winter, not too hot in summer. If I go next winter, perhaps I can travel about and try to settle on a place I'd love full time. Depending on the place, the cost is quite doable.

Which brings me to the topic listed, transporting horse to Mexico. I currently have one remaining horse, my mare Seneca, approaching 19 years old. I found her through this ABN, have had her for about 7 years now. It's been interesting, we've become comfortable together. I've learned she hates winter as much as I do. Also, here in this lushness, I've overfed her a bit, trying to keep her warm in winter, as she shivers easily, especially when wet at 40 or 50 degrees, hates being touched when wet on the wet parts. In past year, she has foundered twice, on the lush green grass that you guys in CA all envy. I thought, "Oh, you're a desert horse, that's part of this story." So, this winter, she's been on hay only with a very small amount of the balancer pellets. She's lost a lot of weight, and I've been diligent at blanketing her or putting her in barn, depending on the weather. So, what if I do find a place to move to in Mexico? I'd like to take her with me. Finding a home for her here has issues, winter, special needs horse, etc.....Then I have to think of the move. My farrier said best to hire someone to transport her. I think transporting her here years ago gave her ulcers, which took a long time to determine. Am treating her with aloe juice in her food, which has helped. My most recent vet seems to understand my desire to use natural medicine as much as  possible. He was the first vet to mention ulcers, as a likely reason for her being "difficult" at times. I plan to have him out again soon, and if she is still positive with the tests based on acupressure he showed me (but I don't know well enough to do myself), I'm probably going to go to one of the more expensive medicines he offered. No, I don't ride her, but haven't given up hope! She has been for 3 months of professional training, ridden by one person only. That person, a newish trainer, declined to have her back, due to her attitude, I think. She's a quick study, seems to know stuff already, or after a time or two. One well respected trainer around here said she just needs more miles on her. I've been recovering from the broken leg at the same time, thus we've become friends on the ground. She has taught me so much! Have a person locally who says he'll ride her for me, we'll see if that happens. He seems to get it, the things I say about her. 

I'm interested in feedback from you folks, about any of this. Lots of folks around keep asking how long I"m going to keep the horse, as if it's easy  to just let her go. I know you all understand how I feel. If I can keep her, at her age and mine, I'd prefer that. I would like to hear if any of you have special places in Mexico that you love. I'm drawn to revisit a town called Valle de Bravo, a small colonial resort town (mostly for Mexicans from the city) about 2 hours from Mexico City, near the forests where the Monarch butterflies winter. It makes news when it freezes there, as it's bad for the Monarchs. And I know a couple of folks there. The mountains and forests there remind me of this area, only warmer. While I love the coast in many ways, I think it would be too hot and humid in summer for year round, maybe not all places....and, suppose this all goes along well, and I want to transport my mare, do you have suggestions about that kind of distance, who you'd trust, who goes into Mexico, etc. Do you think I'm crazy? My daughter who lives in Mexico City, but is moving back this summer, is all into it. My son here in NC, always cautious, is being so, worries about this and that. My son in SF has said it's great I'm adventurous, when I was climbing into my hay loft with a recently broken leg. Yes, I speak Spanish fairly well, and I'm not into being in a large expat community for several reasons. All feedback appreciated. Thanks!

#2 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,610 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 18 February 2018 - 06:48 PM

Hi there! Sounds like an interesting adventure. I did a little internet searching and you might find this informative.

http://www.rdplakech...setomexico.html

Best of luck and keep us posted. Remember a few miles (a few thousand ca to N.C.) or a border can’t keep friends apart.

Mike
  • kathy s. likes this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#3 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 18 February 2018 - 08:59 PM

Hi there! Sounds like an interesting adventure. I did a little internet searching and you might find this informative.

http://www.rdplakech...setomexico.html

Best of luck and keep us posted. Remember a few miles (a few thousand ca to N.C.) or a border can’t keep friends apart.

Mike

Wow! Thanks, Mike. I hadn't done such a simple thing (as google the topic), and this is very informative. I've just looked over it quickly, but will be more studious with it.  Appears to be quite an ordeal. I would bring dogs as well, but it's still a long way off. My daughter moved her 2 cats to Brazil for 4 months, and back again, then to Mexico. She's an old hand at this stuff. I wouldn't want to put my dogs or cat into a air cargo area though, so would more likely drive them. And though I have a trailer, I don't have a truck to pull it with, so seems I'd have to find someone to do the hauling. Still, the paperwork, etc, seems daunting, indeed! Well, it may be a pipe dream, but how does one ever achieve a thing if they don't dream it up, right!

Yes, I miss the folks like you and Pam that I met when I came to CA. Perhaps in the future, I'll make it there again. My son seems settled in SF for now. Being a midwife on call 24/7 much of the time was limiting, and then there's having the funds to do it if I'm not working extra. But, perhaps I can make this happen, and have enough income to travel more, which I would love.

Lake Chapala sounds interesting in many ways. I have a long way to go, first to decide where I would  like to live, see about making that happen, then figure out  keeping a horse there. I recently heard from one Mexican friend of mine that an American man just bought a large ranch in the state of Chihuahua, with a nice house, for $11,000 USD.  I like having my horse(s) on my own property. And it seems so affordable to hire help there. I will keep up with posting any news on this topic. And I still welcome others' thoughts!

#4 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,815 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 19 February 2018 - 10:23 AM

Well it sounds like you have an exciting adventure ahead of you.  

Reading that article Mike posted was exhausting, there is a lot to do. 

I can understand you wanting to leave the cold weather. My stepson and daughter in law were trying to convince us we need to live closer to them (they live in MA)

and suggested North or South Carolina.  I laughed so hard.  I would never know what to do in a real winter.  It was down to 42 degrees this morning, I bundled up ran

down to the barn got the horses buckets started and ran back up to the house that had the heater on.  My house was FREEZING this morning- down to 73 degrees.

I am sure you already know that there are special steps needed for a "foreigner" to buy property in Mexico.

http://www.mexonline.com/propmex.htm

Why not Texas though?  

• OHR, kathy s. and corasmom like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#5 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,696 posts

Posted 21 February 2018 - 09:11 PM

I can understand you wanting to leave the cold weather. My stepson and daughter in law were trying to convince us we need to live closer to them (they live in MA)

and suggested North or South Carolina.  I laughed so hard.  I would never know what to do in a real winter.  It was down to 42 degrees this morning, I bundled up ran

down to the barn got the horses buckets started and ran back up to the house that had the heater on.  My house was FREEZING this morning- down to 73 degrees.

I am sure you already know that there are special steps needed for a "foreigner" to buy property in Mexico.

Why not Texas though?  

I agree with BFF. Why not Texas? I say this as someone who has lived here all my life, though born in Chicago. 

My DH Marc, lived on the Pacific coast of Mexico in a tiny village, for 11 years, surfing and fishing.  He introduced me to Mexico after we married, and we would travel to Puerto Villarta  (sp?) every year, staying in VRBO homes, fishing and exploring. It's an absolutely gorgeous country and I wish we could continue our annual trips.

The problem is the violence (at least here at our Southern border) has escalated once again. Marc speaks fluent Spanish and has many friends in La Ticlia (surfing/fishing village), but has been warned that it's no longer safe there. Cartels are rampant and as BFF already mentioned, a foreigner never actually owns property in Mexico I think there is a 99 year "lease," but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

One other thing; don't keep all your assets in Mexico. A friend of mine heard rumors about the Mexican gov't "confiscating" monies from ex-pats and moved his assets back to the U.S.. Shortly afterword, it happened. Thankfully, he was ok, but many others weren't. 

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here. Just be careful if you decide to go that route. Otherwise, if you decide to move to Texas, come on down!!! We live between San Antonio and Austin. The Hill Country is awesome and the Mexican food divine!

• ladycascabel likes this

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#6 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 890 posts

Posted 27 February 2018 - 11:28 AM

Why not Texas though?  

I agree with BFF. Why not Texas? I say this as someone who has lived here all my life, though born in Chicago. 

My DH Marc, lived on the Pacific coast of Mexico in a tiny village, for 11 years, surfing and fishing.  He introduced me to Mexico after we married, and we would travel to Puerto Villarta  (sp?) every year, staying in VRBO homes, fishing and exploring. It's an absolutely gorgeous country and I wish we could continue our annual trips.

The problem is the violence (at least here at our Southern border) has escalated once again. Marc speaks fluent Spanish and has many friends in La Ticlia (surfing/fishing village), but has been warned that it's no longer safe there. Cartels are rampant and as BFF already mentioned, a foreigner never actually owns property in Mexico I think there is a 99 year "lease," but someone correct me if I'm wrong.

One other thing; don't keep all your assets in Mexico. A friend of mine heard rumors about the Mexican gov't "confiscating" monies from ex-pats and moved his assets back to the U.S.. Shortly afterword, it happened. Thankfully, he was ok, but many others weren't. 

I'm not trying to be Debbie Downer here. Just be careful if you decide to go that route. Otherwise, if you decide to move to Texas, come on down!!! We live between San Antonio and Austin. The Hill Country is awesome and the Mexican food divine'

Thanks to you both for input. I laughed at BFF, house cold when got down to 73! After part of winter here, I start sweating at 73 inside! You both brought up very good points. I've also heard foreigners couldn't outright buy property in Mexico, but my daughter lives, for now, in Mexico City, has a boyfriend who is a Mexican architect, and she thinks that's not quite true. I still don't know the exact story, sounds confusing to me. I read that some areas are not possible to buy, others are, and one needs a Mexican attorney to get it straight. I am aware of cartels, and that some  areas are really bad, others not so much. My cautious son, also fluent in Spanish, mentioned that, and I said he could help me investigate the situation. It is tricky, for me to consider, for many reasons, one of which would be leaving folks I know at this point in my life. Of course, I have a few friends there also. As far as Texas, I visited Austin and San Antonio, and surrounding areas a few years ago in May, and it was 100 degrees at 8 am in May! I am getting picky, don't like the extreme cold, nor the extreme hot and humid! I do love the food, and the country is beautiful. I had first thoughts like politics, and quickly realized that was silly, as there's politics everywhere! I also think to consider the Albuquerque area and parts of NM.

So, I dream of a higher elevation at a lower latitude (is that the right one), where it's neither too cold or too hot! I also am happier if it's hot and dry, rather than humid. The other consideration, that myself and others value, is the better value/cost of living/ in Mexico. And, I've been to Mexico about 15 times over the last 25 years, and have loved it and dreamed of living there since my first visit. My  Spanish is not fluent, but is pretty good, and would be better with more time there, for sure.

I imagine I will try to spend at least 2 months next winter in Mexico, exploring all of these things, and locales, and see how I feel as time goes by.

More ideas?

• kathy s. likes this