9 replies to this topic

#1 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:58 AM

What are your plans for this holiday season? Spending time with family? Traveling?

It's deer season so my DH is at the lease every weekend, I go when I can. Our lease is on 18,000 acres near the Mexican border and rut doesn't begin until mid December in that area. 

Our family gathering will be very quiet this year; my sister is undergoing chemo, so my Mom will be staying with her. One brother lives in L.A., the other in Switzerland, nephew and nieces scattered across the country living their own lives. So, we will have Christmas brunch with Dad and my brother from overseas this year. 

We will also spend a day with DH's parents and have Christmas dinner with them.

My DH and I don't exchange gifts- we feel we give to each other  all year long and additionally, we spend a lot of $$ on the lease and the pets (we can all relate, right?).

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#2 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 11:06 AM

I'm going to finish this little piece of fruitcake and watch a good movie.

• kathy s. likes this

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#3 Marketing

Marketing

Heidi

• Root Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 9,045 posts

Posted 03 December 2017 - 07:59 PM

Not sure, this has been the worst year of my 60 year’s. I lost my mare bint in March, my youngest brother committed suicide in July, and lost my old horse skyler in oct and my young mare Fifi is struggling with severe laminitis . I’ll pull it together for the kids and my granddaughter but I sure don’t feel like doing much

#4 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,560 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 03 December 2017 - 10:01 PM

I'm looking forward to having Christmas Day off as I'm currently working seven days a week. For us it's just not Christmas with out a real tree. This year before it comes inside I plan to decorate it with the horses in mind for some calendar pictures. Our Christmas is a modest affair with just a few simple (cheap LOL) gifts for each other, a nice dinner, and another special dinner for our hoofed family. One tradition I have always done is pick a horse and just spend some time in the dark, leaning over its back, petting it , and enjoying the feel of Christmas Eve in the air. Silly I know but it's something peaceful I enjoy each year. Then when I go back inside of course there will be on last Christmas carrot for all.

Mike

PS. I've finished the first draft of my book and now will polish it up a bit. It's a fictional story. Anyone volenteer to proof read it and give me an honest review?

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#5 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,931 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 03:24 AM

I envy you, Mike.

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#6 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 04:58 AM

One of my favorite things to do on Christmas Eve is to go to midnight Mass and then come home and check on the horses in the barn.  It's so peaceful and calm out there.  I love to just sit on a hay bale and listen to them munching on their hay.  I love to walk down the aisle and stop at each one and just pet and love on them a while.  Then I come in, sleep for a few hours and when I get up, I start cooking.  DH & I wait until AFTER Christmas to exchange gifts because we both tend to buy what we need/want during the year so at Christmas it's not a huge deal.  We go shopping after Christmas and get each other one nice, though not necessarily expensive, thing and call it good.  Another thing I love to do is clean out the chicken coop on Christmas Eve day and at dark, when they all come in to roost, I love to sit in there on an upturned bucket and let them come and sit on my shoulders, legs, lap and just be.  Listening to chickens "purr" is another peaceful, soothing and satisfying sound. And of course, there's all those nice, warm, feather-y bodies snuggled up and keeping you warm.  AHHHH LOVELY!  

If you need someone to proof read for you Mike, I'd be honored, if you'd like me to do it.  And I'd love to read the book!

• greygelding likes this

Pat Lowe

#7 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:30 PM

I'm looking forward to having Christmas Day off as I'm currently working seven days a week. For us it's just not Christmas with out a real tree. This year before it comes inside I plan to decorate it with the horses in mind for some calendar pictures. Our Christmas is a modest affair with just a few simple (cheap LOL) gifts for each other, a nice dinner, and another special dinner for our hoofed family. One tradition I have always done is pick a horse and just spend some time in the dark, leaning over its back, petting it , and enjoying the feel of Christmas Eve in the air. Silly I know but it's something peaceful I enjoy each year. Then when I go back inside of course there will be on last Christmas carrot for all.

Mike

PS. I've finished the first draft of my book and now will polish it up a bit. It's a fictional story. Anyone volenteer to proof read it and give me an honest review?

I've proofed thesis drafts, term papers, and a book in the past. I'll be happy to proof read it for you. :)  

ETA: I didn't see DC post, my apologies. It wouldn't hurt to have several people proof read it though.

Kathy

#8 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,676 posts

Posted 04 December 2017 - 11:38 PM

I'm going to finish this little piece of fruitcake and watch a good movie.

Not sure, this has been the worst year of my 60 year’s. I lost my mare bint in March, my youngest brother committed suicide in July, and lost my old horse skyler in oct and my young mare Fifi is struggling with severe laminitis . I’ll pull it together for the kids and my granddaughter but I sure don’t feel like doing much.

I'm so sorry Christmas  will be a rough time this year for you both, and Market,  I'm so very sorry about your brother. From what I can gather 2017 has been a tough year for many people. Hugs and peace sent to you both.

Kathy

#9 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,190 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 02:04 AM

Will be me, hubby, horses, dogs, cats and the raccoon family - PEACEFULL

• kathy s. and greygelding like this

#10 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 05 December 2017 - 07:45 AM

2017 has been a rough year.  Good news is, it's almost over!   :D

I'm sorry for anyone who has had a tough year, and some have had some really tough events.  I too lost a brother to suicide, though his was many years in the making.  He finally drank himself to death in July.  Tough way to go.  I hope they're at peace now. We had some rough horse times too, but all that seems to be on the upswing.  Like I said, glad it's almost over.  I'm looking for 2018 to be a little less eventful.  

• kathy s. likes this

Pat Lowe