greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:12 AM

Boy Toy of the Great White

Begonia is a dominate mare and has only deferred to one other horse since we bought her, Tess, who didn't care how big a horse was, she was leader. One thing Begonia learned from Tess was to rule with grace and an iron hoof. I've been trying to integrate SoVayn into the herd and all has been going well until last night. Letting the two of them loose in the small pasture by the gelding's stall, they got along well and it was a peaceful meeting. When begonia twitched an ear he became submissive and all was well. The next evening it was Aspen's turn and it looked like there might be a romance in the making as they were very interested in each other. In fact the next morning I got a 4:30 am wake up call as he started talking to her. That evening I put both mares out in a bigger pasture with him and it was a great peaceful evening.
Last night I brought the next horse, Mattie, into the small pasture and turned him loose. Immediately Mattie and SoVayn went to the corral fence and started to grunt, squeal, and strike. I opened the corral gate and prepared to stop the upcoming war. They both calmly walked around and while they were not buddy buddy, all was peaceful and calm. Geldings! Sheeze! I then turned them out into the large pastures with the two grey ladies. Immediately SoVayn started charging and driving Mattie away. Mattie being the smart, clever fellow he is, immediately went to the other side of the grey ladies placing them between SoVayn and himself. Begonia informed him that messing with her boy toy was not a good idea. As he persisted, the great white mare decided enough was enough. She went on the attack and the frantic gelding, beating a hasty retreat went right through the bushes and plants sustaining numerous scrapes and now is sporting a pretty blue wrap on his right hind leg. Just some scrapes and scratches but I think he just might have learned something this time. When I went to feed dinner he was in one end of the pasture while the other 3 were at the other end. So when it's pasture time I'll divide them into Grey's and Browns when it's SoVayn's turn. The moral of the story?
DON'T MESS WITH THE GREAT WHITE'S BOY TOY

Mike

• ShadowfaxArabians, kathy s., rethacharper and 1 other like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,709 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:24 PM

Mattie is confident enough in his masculinity to allow Begonia to protect him..........................

Love watching your videos.  Love seeing that horse who languished here wanting for attention having the love and attention and freedom he wanted.

• TripleHFarm, kathy s., greygelding and 1 other like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#3 TripleHFarm

TripleHFarm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,476 posts
  • Interests:. I raise Straight Egyptian Arabians but Love them all.

Posted 11 August 2017 - 03:55 PM

Omg so funny

#4 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,490 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 11 August 2017 - 06:53 PM

Lessons learned.

Instead of the great white, I should start calling Begonia the professor.  When she teaches a lesson everybody listens. Through an error, and a moment of dumbness on my part,  :rolleyes:   I found 6 horses all together in the west pasture.  The herd thundered out of sight around the house heading for the east pasture and the corrals.  Grabbing the lunge whip I raced around the house listening for the sounds of war breaking out.  I was met with a peaceful scene.  With just a flick of the ear by Begonia, SoVayn gave her plenty of room, the two geldings appeared not to even notice each other, and Sovayn was respectfully hanging around Rose.  The one time he started to push Rose around she apparently had been paying attention also, as she gave two swift kicks at him with no contact. :)    He became a perfect gentleman and all was peaceful.  I love our lead mare! :wub:   God Bless the "Be".

Mike

• ShadowfaxArabians and Macimage like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#5 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,259 posts

Posted 12 August 2017 - 03:00 AM

LOL!  GO Be!  Gotta love a decisive lead mare.

Pat Lowe