greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:17 PM

POPULAR

Last weekend I was out of town for some training.  Saturday evening Pam called me with some disturbing news.  She heard the borate bombers flying over the house and smoke was billowing into the air from a not too distant location.  As we had preplanned, Pam had calmly called the herd in for dinner and locked them in their corrals in case she needed to load them up.  She verified the location of all cats and important documents.  Then knowing it would be at least 4 hours before I would be able to make it home, she called me.  I immediately turned my computer to the scanner app for Tehama County and then did an internet search for the fire.  They had a quick handle on it and it was contained at 29 acres.  The sheriff department had all evacuations canceled but it was an excellent test of "The Plan", Pam passed with flying colors, and all is well.  :)

Mike

• TripleHFarm, ShadowfaxArabians, Dreamcatcher and 3 others like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,498 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 11 July 2017 - 07:46 PM

Last weekend I was out of town for some training.  Saturday evening Pam called me with some disturbing news.  She heard the borate bombers flying over the house and smoke was billowing into the air from a not too distant location.  As we had preplanned, Pam had calmly called the herd in for dinner and locked them in their corrals in case she needed to load them up.  She verified the location of all cats and important documents.  Then knowing it would be at least 4 hours before I would be able to make it home, she called me.  I immediately turned my computer to the scanner app for Tehama County and then did an internet search for the fire.  They had a quick handle on it and it was contained at 29 acres.  The sheriff department had all evacuations canceled but it was an excellent test of "The Plan", Pam passed with flying colors, and all is well.  :)

Mike

I've been thinking about you guys when I see the fires on t.v.  Glad your plan even if it was a dry run worked.  Let's hope you don't have to carry it out for real.  Do you have to have a special rider on your home owners policy for fire?

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 02:08 AM

Mike

I never doubted.  :D

Pat Lowe

#4 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 12 July 2017 - 06:04 AM

I've been thinking about you guys when I see the fires on t.v.  Glad your plan even if it was a dry run worked.  Let's hope you don't have to carry it out for real.  Do you have to have a special rider on your home owners policy for fire?

The main thought behind the plan was to try to take the panic out of an evacuation and it worked wonderfully as Pam was a smooth running machine.  

Because we live in a high fire danger area the insurance here is, well let's say a little pricey.  When I was looking at places I got a quote from companies at $32 a month .and they all wanted my business  This place will only be insured by very few companies and costs $150 per month.  Most companies wouldn't even give me a quote.

Mike

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#5 brandale

brandale

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 172 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 07:26 AM

Your heating bill is pricey as well I am sure !   :)

#6 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,670 posts

Posted 12 July 2017 - 09:28 PM

Out of "likes" (is someone ever going to fix this?) but I'm glad you and Pam are ok. We keep you in our prayers....

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.