26 replies to this topic

#1 Airwalker

Airwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:08 PM

Maverick split his fetlock to the bone on May 21st; I caught the accident within 30 minutes of it happening, although I couldn't tell you what caused it. We went directly to the vet office for x-rays, as the bone was very easily felt by the vet on field call. From there Maverick stayed until Thursday, getting daily joint lavage, antibiotics and sterile bandages. It looked extremely promising, if a bit expensive. $3400 that week. I went home with him and bandage instructions and the vets cell number to send photos regularly. For the first 2 weeks things went well, but then it started to swell; last week the joint blew open at the original injury; back to the vet we went with the recommendation to euthanize THAT DAY; even though Maverick was in good spirits.... I refused since it was obvious to me that the horse was more than willing to keep trying. We have now had another round of joint lavage, antibiotics and bandaging; and a smaller bill that will slowly grow with each treatment. His prognosis is poor but not dire yet, he has a second chance to heal, but in 6 weeks if he hasn't healed or starts to go downhill then he will have to be humanely euthanized.

I have set up a gofund account because after that first round of treatments I am rather light on continuing funding. I would appreciate anything anyone has to offer to help me further his treatments.

I am curious if anyone has had similar cases with positive results? Right now I am only concerned with survival, he can remain a pasture puff on arthritis management if nothing else for a few years; but I am not ready to let a 6 year old horse go unless I HAVE to. Ill update with photos soon.

Photos added are from the original treatment, it looked good until the day I posted here when his joint literally popped open, you can see how nicely it was doing and the slow progression of infection.

Attached Thumbnails

• 20170714_092558.jpg
  • 20170714_092653.jpg

Home of: Unforgettable Fame (Rough Justice x Madam Mouselle) Purebred Arabian Stallion
Aur Afire (Aur Farwa x Basks Fashion) & Aubra (Unforgettable Fame x Aur Afire) 2015 Bay sabino filly!!
Wictorya (Andrzejevo x Walhalla) Pure polish from the ever important "W" polish dam line! (pronounced Victoria) to be bred to Constantene (EcahoxAmelia) for a 2016 foal

ROL First Fantacy (First Cyte x Socyety Girl) RPSI Approved Purebred BLACK Arabian mare!!
And last but not least Boomer, grade arabian cross, my very first horse, coming home from lease in a few short months!

#2 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 19 June 2017 - 01:38 PM

I had a horse with a punctured fetlock joint, back when vets weren't quite so handy with these things. The horse did eventually heal, and was even sound for light work, but I think it took most of a year to get the infection out of the joint.

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#3 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 19 June 2017 - 05:19 PM

Prayers for a recovery for your beloved Maverick.

So sorry you are both going through this.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#4 corasmom

corasmom

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 322 posts
  • Interests:Faith,Family,the Farm and Freedom

Posted 20 June 2017 - 09:31 AM

So sad to hear this. Prayers for you both.

http://soj51.org
The time has come for 51!

#5 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 894 posts
  • Interests:Arabian horses, dogs, especially Border collies, herbal medicine.

Posted 22 June 2017 - 05:10 PM

So sorry you and he are dealing with this. They are such troopers, aren't they! I have a story to share, and if it is helpful, I'll be glad to give more information. I had a gelding, now deceased, who had an open wound on his fetlock, not to the bone, but fairly large, slow to heal. I had been treating it already for several weeks. The vet saw him for a variety of things, and told me the horse should get IV antibiotics in his leg for the wound to heal. I said I'd call if I chose to go that route. What I did was lots of daily wound care, soaking, cleaning, then packing with a paste of turmeric powder mixed with enough water to make it adhere. It was impressive in taking out the inflammation, swelling, etc. Then I started to add some essential oils to the paste, and the results were quite noticeable, with even more rapid healing. I also gave homeopathic medicines orally for healing wounds, arnica and symphytum. It took several months altogether, but the wound healed by granulation, and he was again sound. A year or so later, the vet saw him again, and was impressed that he had healed so well, without the IV antibiotics!

In the case of your horse, if the wound is closed with sutures, you could still apply a thin paste of turmeric around the area, as it will work through the skin, also. Giving it orally would also be powerful as a anti-inflammatory and healing agent. My career has been in medicine, and I've worked long on how to combine diverse models. Feel free to do that, as that approach can offer greater healing than only one. Good luck! I hope it all comes out well.

• kathy s. likes this

#6 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts
  • Interests:horses of any breed and discipline, equine color genetics, photography, reading, classic movies

Posted 22 June 2017 - 09:08 PM

Once the infection settles in a lower limb joint, it is really tough to eradicate. Been there, done that, almost exactly a year ago. I pray Maverick has a positive outcome. Use everything you can. 

• kathy s. likes this

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#7 Airwalker

Airwalker

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 537 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:36 AM

POPULAR

It looks good as of yesterday, finally. He is getting joint injections of antibiotics and muscular antibiotics (Exceed)

• OHR, ladycascabel, ShadowfaxArabians and 6 others like this

Home of: Unforgettable Fame (Rough Justice x Madam Mouselle) Purebred Arabian Stallion
Aur Afire (Aur Farwa x Basks Fashion) & Aubra (Unforgettable Fame x Aur Afire) 2015 Bay sabino filly!!
Wictorya (Andrzejevo x Walhalla) Pure polish from the ever important "W" polish dam line! (pronounced Victoria) to be bred to Constantene (EcahoxAmelia) for a 2016 foal

ROL First Fantacy (First Cyte x Socyety Girl) RPSI Approved Purebred BLACK Arabian mare!!
And last but not least Boomer, grade arabian cross, my very first horse, coming home from lease in a few short months!

#8 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 23 June 2017 - 10:57 AM

Stay on it. It CAN be beat.

• kathy s. and rethacharper like this

#9 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,832 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 03 July 2017 - 06:48 PM

Hi Airwalker,  I was wondering how Maverick is doing.  

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#10 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 04 July 2017 - 03:40 AM

Me too