Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 18 April 2017 - 11:16 AM

POPULAR

The Cat Whisperer

I'm forbidden from going to animal shelters or horse shelters/auctions because I usually come home with something and it's usually not the prettiest thing there. I feel sorry for the ones that have the least chance of being adopted by anyone, except me of course. One poor cat lived to be 24 years old. Early last year one of our favorites passed so it occurred to me that this might be a good time to start cat shopping. When we first got married, oh so long ago, we got a seal point Siamese kitten who turned out to be very unique. I found a few cats who might fit in but things have changed. For one thing they are expensive, and the shelters want personal references, veterinarian references, home inspection, etc.. Now I can appreciate that they are just looking out for the welfare of the animal but I just want a cat not the 3rd degree. Awhile back we adopted two cats, one Siamese and one black, from the Oakland animal shelter. Their procedure was simple, come in, meet the animal with one of their "cat counselors", fill out the paperwork basically stating you'll take care of it, pay a small fee, and take home your new pet. We took home two because they came as a bonded pair. I'm not to sure about that but they were great cats. One passed of old age and the other still sleeps with us.
At this time I was still commuting so it was somewhat of a detour but not too bad to go there so I checked their website. There I found a young perfect seal point Siamese who, of course, was paired with a young black cat. I suspect they do this to insure the black ones find homes. I didn't care, the more the merrier, and the last time we did this it worked out perfectly. So the next weekend I made the detour and they were both there. I was in their system so with a short visit and $35.00 each we were on our way home. Shy and skittish they spent the first couple of days hiding in the master bathroom then progressed to under the bed. The Siamese, Sammy, started to relax first and after awhile the black one, CeCe, did also. Both of them were afraid of what ever we were doing, especially me, so I figured their previous antagonist was male. Sammy took to us right away and now, when laying in the middle of the floor, she just looks at us like "I'm here! Go around!" CeCe still jumps up and runs at my approach but has become my lap kitty when i sitting still. Sammy thinks Pam is the best thing since the invention of tuna. Follows her everywhere and sits perched on her shoulder. The black cat is restricted to indoors as she wanders too far for our comfort but Sammy gets to go out for short playtimes. I noticed a lunge whip by the front door and asked Pam about it.
"That's how I call Sammy to come in."
"With a whip?"
"Yes, watch this."
Sammy was no where is sight when Pam cracked the whip. Instantly the cat appeared from around the tack room and raced right up to her. Opening the front door Sammy scurried inside, turned, and waited for Pam to enter.
"Only you could call a cat by cracking a whip." I said to my sweetly smiling wife.
My wife, the cat whisperer.

IMG_1707_zps7h6msu0r.jpg

IMG_1708_zps13o1bqrs.jpg

Mike
  • innishfael, ladycascabel, ShadowfaxArabians and 3 others like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 innishfael

innishfael

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,817 posts
  • Interests:raising part arabian overos! we strive for the exotic athlete, the horse that is not only the horse of your dreams, your best friend, but one that can compete in the highest of levels. quality is the product, paint is on the outside :)

Posted 18 April 2017 - 12:14 PM

I love having two cats in the house - they entertain each other and are fun to watch.  never thought about the whip thing, might have to try that!

sheila - innishfael farm

Posted Image

#3 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 02:06 PM

I love having two cats in the house - they entertain each other and are fun to watch.  never thought about the whip thing, might have to try that!

sheila - innishfael farm

She said she started out "cat fishing".  Which led to Sammy chasing the lead when she would swish it back and forth.  With her in hot pursuit Sammy learned that sound meant play time and anytime Pam wanted the cat to come she would just swish the lead and here comes the cat.  When the cat is farther away she snaps the lead loudly, which not only exercises the horses, but at the same time it calls the cat.  :lol:

The two of them are everywhere in the house.  Sometimes I think I brought home 6 cats instead of just 2.   :lol:

Mike

• dragon and Macimage like this

~Author Unknown

#4 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,186 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:34 PM

Nice to know someone else out there "fishes" for cats - mine think it's a great game of catch

#5 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,529 posts

Posted 18 April 2017 - 03:45 PM

Nice to know someone else out there "fishes" for cats - mine think it's a great game of catch

We also fish for horses:

And of course whips are great training aids:

Mike

• innishfael, ladycascabel and dragon like this

~Author Unknown

#6 kukrae

kukrae

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 405 posts
  • Interests:Pedigree research when I have time or a specific horse sparks my interest.

Posted 20 April 2017 - 11:39 AM

The first week of April I caught a couple of feral kittens here at my office. Now, I've never (knock on wood never again!) have had to rehome critters...I just take them in. But with these two, I just can't. I'm in an apt with 4 cats now, 3 of which are partial Maine Coon...that's alotta cat. I'm having a devil of a time trying to find a home for these great little munchkins. SO MUCH personality!!

The little guys, a black male & a dilute tortie female, were very emaciated when I trapped them. So, becoming the farm kid I once was, got them all situated here in my office...only to find out my direct coworker is highly allergic. So...I splurged on one of the 24" travel tubes figuring it won't go to waste as I can use it as my emergency hauler for my 4 in event of earthquake or something. 

Well, it's 3 weeks later, Harry (Dresden, the Wizard...black cat needed a magical name <g>) starts purring whenever you touch him. Mai (also from Dresden files) still shies off, but she purred for over a minute last night. They are growing like little weeds, LOVE to play. I bring them back into my office when everyone leaves and turn them loose to play for 2-3 hours while I stay and do paperwork. Then, back into the tube for overnight. They are so bonded that I fear taking them to a shelter & them being separated. I'm in Los Angeles and it seems like a rough time for cats in the shelters. I've even contemplated booking a flight home to Ohio and taking them to Mom (she's saying No for the moment).

I will say I sure smile more at the office with them around. Right now they are lounging in the sun on top of the carrier inside the tube...

Mike, your cats are so lucky to have you!!!

I'd love to load pics, but for the life of me I can't get anything to load...oh well...

Have a great day, everyone!

Tamara

kukrae

• Macimage likes this