greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 14 April 2017 - 05:43 PM

POPULAR

My exterior fences are vastly superior to a lot of my inside fencing which is just plastic push in poles with 2 strands of Hotwire about 3 1/2 ft high. These temporary fences have worked well so far but last night was the exception to the rule. I sleep lightly when camping but at home I sleep like a hibernating bear trusting that Pam will wake up and wake me up as needed. I'm sound asleep when I feel a gentle jab, waking the sleeping bear, followed by "I heard the horses galloping by".
"That's nice, they're just playing race horse in the pasture. Go to sleep".
"No! Something's wrong I know it!" NEVER argue with the woman, she's usually right.
She gets up and looks out the window at the corral area. Coming back to the bedroom she starts to dress, "I can hear the feed locker lid banging".
Now this is a different matter as that's a sure sign that somebody's out. Since my military days so very long ago when the need arises I snap full awake when something is amiss. I'm out of bed, dressed and outside before Pam has finished dressing. In front of the corrals are feed lockers which are plastic footlockers where I put several feedings. Shar has figured how flip the lids open so they stay that way in one fluid motion, except one. That lid won't stay open and will close with a thump. That's the noise that greeted me as I closed the front door. As I rounder the corner, in the flashlights beam I see Shar snacking on the morning feeding but when I look around the rest of the herd is standing in the pasture in front of their corrals. Shining the light at the 3 gates I find them closed. Grabbing a rope, I slipped it around Shar's neck and led her to her corral and locked her in. As I walked her I quickly realized where I needed to go next. There is one spot on the right side of the driveway where the herd gathers and longs to take a shortcut to the next pasture where the corrals are. I find the Hotwire strung along the driveway with broken plastic fence poles scattered around. Apparently Shar tried to jump the low fence line and failed knocking the Hotwire down and breaking the poles. Frightened by the commotion, the remainder of the herd would have raced along the pasture fenceline heading home as fast as their hoofies would carry them and would still be in. This is what awoke Pam. It's late so as Pam closed the gate to the damaged pasture I locked the rest of the herd in their corrals. Catching horses in the dark a problem? Not for these guys. I merely said "Dinner!" and started tossing a small amount of hay in each corral. Instantly all horses trotted into their respective corrals where I came along and locked them in. I headed back to bed and found it was now 12:13 am. A midnight snack for all and fence repair planned for Saturday. The fault of a horse? No, the blame lies with the fool who put up a short fence, wait, that would be......, never mind.

Mike
  • OHR, ladycascabel, ShadowfaxArabians and 8 others like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#2 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 14 April 2017 - 06:46 PM

And there is ALWAYS that one horse.........

• kathy s., rethacharper and greygelding like this

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#3 ShadowfaxArabians

ShadowfaxArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,014 posts
  • Interests:My Faith, My Family, My Horses, music (Country and Christian), reading, outdoor recreation.

Posted 14 April 2017 - 07:08 PM

POPULAR

My favorite line in the whole story!!  :D

"No! Something's wrong I know it!" NEVER argue with the woman, she's usually right.

• OHR, ladycascabel, tuffyk and 3 others like this
God Bless,
Kay

Shadowfax Arabians
"And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God and who have been called according to His purpose" Romans 8:28

#4 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,189 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 01:41 AM

When God made man She was only joking...

• OHR, tuffyk and karens like this

#5 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 15 April 2017 - 04:09 AM

When God made man She was only joking...

Practice before perfection.......

• tuffyk and karens like this

#6 greygelding

greygelding

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,554 posts
  • Interests:Spoiling My horse and My wife, Camping, Computers, Ham Radio

Posted 16 April 2017 - 09:10 AM

Update;

So after a busy day yesterday the fence is replaced and the herd enjoyed their overnight freedom and I got a good night's sleep.  Since I was in a fencing mood I fenced in the front of the next pasture project and I'm working on the back fence and the gates so the crew should be mowing it by next weekend.  Here's some pics of the new pasture:

IMG_1709_zpsk1my9zfm.jpg

IMG_1710_zpsswzjiqgo.jpg

Mike

• ShadowfaxArabians, kathy s., rethacharper and 1 other like this

http://greygelding.net/
He knows when you're happy, He knows when you're comfortable,
He knows when you're confident, And he always knows when you have carrots.
~Author Unknown

#7 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,922 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:09 AM

Gonna be some fat horses.....

• kathy s. likes this

#8 cecelia

cecelia

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,371 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 10:59 AM

Update;

So after a busy day yesterday the fence is replaced and the herd enjoyed their overnight freedom and I got a good night's sleep.  Since I was in a fencing mood I fenced in the front of the next pasture project and I'm working on the back fence and the gates so the crew should be mowing it by next weekend.  Here's some pics of the new pasture:

IMG_1709_zpsk1my9zfm.jpg

IMG_1710_zpsswzjiqgo.jpg

Mike

Your place is beautiful!

Keep on the sunny side, always on the sunny side, keep on the sunny side of life...

#9 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,760 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 16 April 2017 - 03:13 PM

Thats it I am bringing you a few more of mine...............................................................

ROAD TRIP

• kathy s. and greygelding like this

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#10 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 16 April 2017 - 05:39 PM

I got a couple that would like all that grass.......Gorgeous place!

Pat Lowe