#1 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 02:51 PM

POPULAR

Hubby and I went to a Mounted Patrol de-spooking clinic this past weekend.  As I figured, Cloney was the star and Dolly, my cutting bred QH with 90 days training on her, was waaaaaay over her head.  

We had a lot of fun and learned a lot, even though we didn't get to complete the clinic.  For one thing, Dolly got way over it Saturday afternoon.  Seems that going through the obstacles with all the pool noodles, the 'hollow' bridge, the Car Wash Curtain, the smoke grenades and then finally FIRE all together was just more than she could handle.  Oh, did I mention the patrol car with the whirling lights and LOUD siren?  Yeah, NO!  She stopped dead so hard she nearly tossed me then, and as I was trying to get balanced for the next part, she spun right out from under me.  Gave me a little concussion (yes I had on a helmet), broke a finger getting  caught in the reins, and I think maybe my tail bone.  Everything else has finally quit hurting.  

Hubby was riding Cloney (I REALLY want my horse back) and he did great.  He got bug eyed and snorted at all the obstacles and the fire and the smoke and all, but he went through everything.  He was more keyed up on Sunday, but far from uncontrollable.  He did all the tests Sunday morning but by noon you could tell, he'd pretty well had all he cared to handle too.  So at that point Hubby quit riding and we just watched the rest of the clinic.  Sunday morning, I took Dollface in the arena, I had saddled her up in case she was going to be ok, but she let me know that getting on her back was going to be ill advised.  So, we did everything on foot.  We still did all the obstacles, checked out the patrol car with the K9 in it, and basically just worked it.  She's only got 90 days under saddle and I was a hurtin' almost 60 year old woman, so we didn't feel the least bit bad about doing ground work.  

Here are a few pics to give you a feel for it.  We're going to build some obstacles and work them and then we're going to go back and re-do the clinic and get our certificates.  It was a BLAST!  A lot of riding, a lot of nice folks and we had a really good time.  In spite of getting tossed.   ;)   So, once again, that crazy, spooky Ayrab is the one I'd rather have been riding....go figure!

Mounted Patrol Car Wash.JPG Mounted Patrol Fire.JPG Mounted Patrol Fire Smoke Obstacles.JPG Mounted Patrol Fire Smoke Obstacles Sirens and Lights.JPG Mounted Patrol More Smoke.JPG Mounted Patrol Training Smoke.JPG

Have no idea why they're posting sideways, that's now how I have them.    :wacko:

• ladycascabel, ShadowfaxArabians, tuffyk and 7 others like this

Pat Lowe

#2 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,462 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:10 PM

Very cool!!!  Sounds like a great experience for all!

This reminds me of this video.  Take ANY one of the things this horse tolerated would have sent almost all of mine into cardiac arrest.  

https://www.youtube....h?v=CQ_JaOi_vV0

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#3 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 16 March 2017 - 03:27 PM

Can't beat those steady-eddy boys!

#4 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 08:39 AM

Can't beat those steady-eddy boys!

LOL, most of those Steady Eddies were losing it left and right.  It was pretty hilarious to see all the QH's jump around worse than any Crazy Ay-rab ever thought of.

The Buckskin Kiger Mustang stallion that you can see in a couple of the pics (has a long forelock covering his eyes, Chris kept saying he looked like a sheepdog) was the Steady Eddy-est of them all.  SUPER well trained and behaved, I was very impressed with him.  Even he lost it.  His big 'threat' that he flatly REFUSED to deal with?  The siren.  Who knew? Everything else, he was alert and paying attention, but very calm and willing.  The siren unhinged him.

Pat Lowe

#5 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:38 AM

Thats why we always put those little tampons in the ears for parades. I usually got stuck right behind the fire engine.

#6 miriggs

miriggs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,729 posts
  • Interests:Azraff/Ferzon

Posted 17 March 2017 - 09:53 AM

Crazy arabs. Good job! :) Some horses have a real problem with Sirens. I imagine it's the pitch. My mare has a medical condition and According to the vet She is either deaf on one side or at least has a significant loss of hearing. Her reaction to certain Sounds were the first indication that something was "up" Hope you're on the mend and back in the saddle soon.

DW Paradas Gem & Sammy too

Together forever & forever in my heart.

Mi Reagal Dream, RVA Dream Deelite and TLF Adamas

#7 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,635 posts
  • Interests:Elikzir++/(Ganges x Ularia)6X U.S. National Top Ten
    LA LegacyInBlack+++//10X U.S. National Top Ten
    The Terminatorr+ U.S. National Champion
    PLEASE LIKE US ON FACEBOOK https://www.facebook.com/pages/Bonn-Fyre-FarmsTraining-Center/571022559602050
    Instagram too!https://instagram.com/bonnfyrefarms/

Posted 17 March 2017 - 01:47 PM

How fun!

I have been on Mounted Patrol for eons.  My current Mounted Patrol horse is my Missouri Fox Trotter.  She is always the star of training.  I usually have two MP horses, my current back up is an Arabian mare.

I am actually wanting to sell my MFT who has been there done that and seen everything  (and has completed Limited Distance Endurance rides)  and folks actually ask me to take video of her on the trail....

Ah but I digress.

We missed our last training session as I opted out as there was an EHV1 case a really huge boarding barn, and I have no idea where the other horses in the patrol live.

We get Motorcycles in the arena,  Helicopters brought out and all kinds of things.   It really is a lot of fun.

Good boy Cloney!!!!!  So sorry you got hurt. 

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#8 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,289 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:24 AM

That is totally awesome!!!  My horse needs to go through that!!  So sorry you got dumped.  I did last summer and it took 4 months for 4 ribs to heal.  Had on a helmet AND a riding vest.   NOT NOT a good time.  Gearing up for this year and praying it goes a little better.  

What was the name of this event?  Never heard of anything like this locally.  For those that have done this before does it make them pretty bomb proof?

#9 OHR

OHR

Advanced Member

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,771 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 08:49 AM

LOL, most of those Steady Eddies were losing it left and right.  It was pretty hilarious to see all the QH's jump around worse than any Crazy Ay-rab ever thought of.

The Buckskin Kiger Mustang stallion that you can see in a couple of the pics (has a long forelock covering his eyes, Chris kept saying he looked like a sheepdog) was the Steady Eddy-est of them all.  SUPER well trained and behaved, I was very impressed with him.  Even he lost it.  His big 'threat' that he flatly REFUSED to deal with?  The siren.  Who knew? Everything else, he was alert and paying attention, but very calm and willing.  The siren unhinged him.

I was actually referring to our crazy Ay-rabs

#10 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,221 posts

Posted 18 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

I was actually referring to our crazy Ay-rabs

Oh, I know you were.  But most of those horses really WERE pretty much Steady Eddy types and it was just fun to watch them lose it when you could tell that they had years and years and miles and miles out on trail.  

Pat Lowe