Photo

Om El Erodite sells for $1.55 Million

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#21 beyfan

beyfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 435 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:15 PM

The horse market was fine until around 2008 or so. Not trying to make any sort of political statement by saying that, but it really plunged around that time...my personal opinion was it was partly due to the closing of the slaughter houses...?

#22 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 02:39 PM

Bey fan the economy definitely tanked in 2008 and any time of economic downturns horses and horse trainers are some of the first thing people cut.

I agree the closing of slaughter houses has impacted the horse market along with the proliferation of "rescues" selling cheap horses.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#23 debs

debs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:23 PM

What a load of common sense!!!
Crazy, crazy price.....
I certainly hope it doesn't get the 'investors in living art' interested. They are living beings not just an investment!

I have not read through the thread and am just responding to the original question.

1.  Good or bad for the market-
   I have been involved with Arabians since the 70's, so if I appear cynical it is because I have been around for a long time.

Who knows how much money really changes hands.  There was a lot of "trading paper" in the 80's and early 90's.  

I am not too excited by the price in terms of what it does for the market because unless I suddenly abandon my breeding program and start breeding the current style du jour of Sea Horse heads and
   AND I start having my horses shown and marketed by Midwest or the other BNHTs- then there will NEVER be any "trickle down" to me or any other small breeder.

I think it can have a very opposite effect in terms of market for the small breeder if we go back to the "living art" perception and people thinking they can not afford an Arabian.

As for the Addis PT prices-  Asking and getting are two entirely different things.

As someone who is actively selling horses I saw a great interest in an untrained 3 year old gelding that I had and in fact oddly enough it was the Main Ring Market that went ga ga over him and he sold rather quickly for a nice sum.I was actually marketing him towards the Sport Horse people, so imagine my surprise with the Main ring interest.
However my very well trained geldings that I have poured a ton of money into- well people do not think they need to pay for training. ...but I digress.

I don't see any halter horse price no matter how great having a positive impact in the small breeder market, and certainly not until it switches back to having Functional horses winning in halter.
Unfortunately with this "alleged" price it will continue to inspire those that breed alot of horses of this type to hopefully get one that will sell for big bucks.  Those "puppy mill" type breeders  hurt the small breeder as well as those "culls" flood the market at cheap prices. 

One of my ex clients was at Scottsdale last week. She spoke to a very big name Halter Trainer who said to her they had a pasture full of yearlings at his farm(that did not make the cut in their estimation) and "if they could catch them they could have them."

#24 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 04 March 2017 - 11:08 AM

I agree with most of what you said BFF,  but I was 2 in the ''80's and it was trickle down for us.  Just kidding!!  I was in my teens/20's.  Didn't want to give away my age.  Ha ha ha! But we sold horses for "good" prices.  Sold a SE mare at one point for a lot of $. Even got weanling colts sold and didn't give them away.  To me, the market has been depressed since then.

Wonder if they will register the ones in the field you can have if you can catch?  Bet there are some good performance horses out there. 

Edited: realized I inflated the price of the mare by a mere 10K!!  GAH!!  Its been a "few" years!!

Edited by arabsRgreat, 06 March 2017 - 04:16 AM.