Photo

Om El Erodite sells for $1.55 Million

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
23 replies to this topic

#11 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 02:21 PM

I had read that it was under consideration, not that it had passed.  So, I'm curious to be able to find it and read it and see when it went/goes into effect. 

Me too. 

So the law didn't have to do with depreciation?  I thought it changed all that too? 

#12 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 05:40 PM

I found this article

http://www.horsecoun...t-will-sign-it/

#13 SportArab

SportArab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:34 PM

Doesn't look like it repeals the changes that did in the horse markets.

Co-author of Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry

www.duelforthecrown.com

Owner: Fiery Run Farm, breeding beautiful athletes and standing Pavvo (*Erros x Khassiopeia)

www.fieryrunfarm.com

#14 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 28 February 2017 - 06:50 PM

I think that's going to be very helpful, but I'm curious when that was dated?  I see it goes back to 2015 when some things expired, and doesn't allow ALL of the things to come back in that we in before.  It's real similar to the original thing that was passed a few years ago.  Helpful but not as generous as things used to be.    

Pat Lowe

#15 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 03:51 AM

Obama signed it just before leaving office, from what I read.

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#16 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:24 AM

Can we have the discussion here?  Did anyone go to this auction?  Is it true as was said on FB that the tax laws changed again to the '80's write offs or was someone just having fun? 

Good or bad for market with these kinds of prices? 

Looks like the Addis PT horses have some big numbers in front of them too.

Is the Trump stock market helping horse prices? 

Thoughts?

I was excited as this mare's dam is a 3/4 sister to my gelding's sire.  Not that it matters since he is a gelding but it doesn't take much to get me excited.  Ha ha ha!

I have not read through the thread and am just responding to the original question.

1.  Good or bad for the market-

I have been involved with Arabians since the 70's, so if I appear cynical it is because I have been around for a long time.

Who knows how much money really changes hands.  There was a lot of "trading paper" in the 80's and early 90's.  

I am not too excited by the price in terms of what it does for the market because unless I suddenly abandon my breeding program and start breeding the current style du jour of Sea Horse heads and

AND I start having my horses shown and marketed by Midwest or the other BNHTs- then there will NEVER be any "trickle down" to me or any other small breeder.

I think it can have a very opposite effect in terms of market for the small breeder if we go back to the "living art" perception and people thinking they can not afford an Arabian.

As for the Addis PT prices-  Asking and getting are two entirely different things.

As someone who is actively selling horses I saw a great interest in an untrained 3 year old gelding that I had and in fact oddly enough it was the Main Ring Market that went ga ga over him and he sold rather quickly for a nice sum.I was actually marketing him towards the Sport Horse people, so imagine my surprise with the Main ring interest.

However my very well trained geldings that I have poured a ton of money into- well people do not think they need to pay for training. ...but I digress.

I don't see any halter horse price no matter how great having a positive impact in the small breeder market, and certainly not until it switches back to having Functional horses winning in halter.

Unfortunately with this "alleged" price it will continue to inspire those that breed alot of horses of this type to hopefully get one that will sell for big bucks.  Those "puppy mill" type breeders  hurt the small breeder as well as those "culls" flood the market at cheap prices. 

One of my ex clients was at Scottsdale last week. She spoke to a very big name Halter Trainer who said to her they had a pasture full of yearlings at his farm(that did not make the cut in their estimation) and "if they could catch them they could have them."  

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#17 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:27 AM

they had a pasture full of yearlings at his farm(that did not make the cut in their estimation) and if they could catch them they could have them.  

THIS mentality just makes me see red every time I see it.  Never mind the breed, this sheer, utter ignorance is such a disservice to the horse that I just can't stand it.  Glad I wasn't there to hear it in person, I'd probably be in jail for slapping the snot out of that trainer. 

Pat Lowe

#18 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 10:31 AM

THIS mentality just makes me see red every time I see it.  Never mind the breed, this sheer, utter ignorance is such a disservice to the horse that I just can't stand it.  Glad I wasn't there to hear it in person, I'd probably be in jail for slapping the snot out of that trainer. 

I know of one farm out here who is purported to breed over 100 mares a year or has recently(and I have a reliable source)......yet their registration stats do not show that. One had to wonder what happens to those deemed not even good enough to register.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#19 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 11:27 AM

This happens at some AQHA farms as well. Breed 100s of mares to get a handful of futurity prospects. I imagine those "unworthy" in either breed end badly. 

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#20 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,268 posts

Posted 01 March 2017 - 12:17 PM

I know of one farm out here who is purported to breed over 100 mares a year or has recently(and I have a reliable source)......yet their registration stats do not show that. One had to wonder what happens to those deemed not even good enough to register.

Yeah, we've got one out here too.  One of the reasons I got out.  You can compete with someone who gives away 40 or more horses a year, sends another 20-30 to the local meat auction and then people just can't get their heads around why they should pay you, just because yours have no genetic issues or yours have good legs, and training, etc etc.  Total losing battle. 

This happens at some AQHA farms as well. Breed 100s of mares to get a handful of futurity prospects. I imagine those "unworthy" in either breed end badly. 

It happens in every breed where quantity or I as used to say, "Spaghetti on the wall" breeding practices trump quality.  And I'm sure you're very correct. 

Pat Lowe