Photo

Facebook is blowing up over this picture.

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
56 replies to this topic

#51 loriwoo

loriwoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 01:50 PM

i am out of likes for the day, but yes, I agree with BFF, i also did VERY well with my horses before I decided to go another direction.  My horses COULD do what it took to win, but I wasn't going to do that to THEM, they were bred to do what they did and they did it very well, enough to win in 3 states every time they went. 

but I too, have dabbled in dressage, where we are also winning, and open shows.  I have seen much less if any abuse there.

It is not the quality of silver on your horse, it is the quality of horse under your silver.

#52 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 06 March 2017 - 07:06 PM

I'm out of "likes" and agree with BFF, too, loriwoo. And Peter Cameron was one of my favorite judges.

I have always "bucked the system"...my first purebred Arabian show mare was a barefoot western horse, no trainer, kept NOT in a box stall, rarely blanketed, and (gasp!) even turned out on pasture often. Can't tell you how many show people advised me this would ruin her. Nevertheless, we qualified for Nationals twice and went to Albuquerque. I wouldn't trade one moment with that mare for anything. I love Arabians and always will. I'd compete more at class A shows if my state had not lost 3/4 of them. Yes, I am at odds with much of what goes on in he main ring, but I feel if you don't show people it can be done differently and still be successful, nothing will ever change. I plan on getting back into the Class A ring again once I get back in shape physically and I'm looking forward to it! Not "dissing" anyone who has chosen to do differently, I do see your POV. This is mine.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#53 felina

felina

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,557 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 10:39 AM

It takes people willing to try something different.

I also am part of the board of directors of a local club and am trying to shape things in that way as well.

Is it perfect? Not at all, but I'm trying the action plan.

I show my horse barefoot and she lives our 24/7. We are more competitive in dressage and sport horse in hand and that's fine. I do show open shows with her and she usually places quite well in halter.

Our club has a program where kids and people new to arabians can show one in a halter class at one of our class a shows. I volunteered my horse last year and we do a short intro on how to show a halter horse, set up for the judge and so forth.

This kind of thing helps other horse people see Arabs in a different light.

I am always happy to share my horse in the ring as well. Usually friends will show her in halter in open shows, etc.

I do get frustrated with some things that occur in the warmup pens, behind the barns, etc. There are times I want to post the video I've taken but I haven't. I'm educating myself and have a much better understanding on how to involve the stewards, submit complaints, etc.
Look back on our struggle for freedom,
Trace our present day's strength to its source;
And you'll find that man's pathway to glory
Is strewn with the bones of a horse.
Anonymous

#54 asuekrose

asuekrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 11:49 AM

My decision to leave had nothing to do with success in the show ring, my horse has a very long and good show record.  Many things that were 'not kosher' just kept adding up to the point where I decided to sever my connection to AHA and other organizations.  I still show extensively, just not Arab shows. 

I was not suggesting anyone was not successful because they chose to leave the breed show ring. My comment was I am still successful enough with the way I chose to show them that I do not feel "run off" from the show ring. I am not looking down upon anyone that has chosen to leave for whatever reason they chose.

Last year, I decided to do something different. I decided to put on a double judged, two day open show. What was different is I have made it totally free for the exhibitors including the stalling. Boy, did it take off! I hold it at my place and I could not believe the support I have received. A local farm store donated all the panels to turn my indoor arena into stalls. I offered a $500.00 cash award to the High Point over all horse. I had people start volunteering money and last year I gave over $2700.00 in cash prizes to exhibitors who did not pay a thing to be here, including $500 to the High Point purebred or partbred Arab and $200 to the High Point Youth riding an Arab. The judges decided to donate their time. A motel gave me their rooms for the judges. It was amazing! We had prizes for classes and a silent auction to raise money. Guess what? We are doing it again this year and we have just as many cash high points again! The atmosphere at the show was amazing. People were friendly and no complaining. I already knew as management I had the option to say "What did you expect for free?" LOL If you want to see more about it, go to Montana Super Horse SHow on facebook or to my website rosewood-equine.com

I know there are amazing people in the horse show world and I love it.

#55 msjwebb

msjwebb

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,240 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 05:54 PM

I was not suggesting anyone was not successful because they chose to leave the breed show ring. My comment was I am still successful enough with the way I chose to show them that I do not feel "run off" from the show ring. I am not looking down upon anyone that has chosen to leave for whatever reason they chose.

Last year, I decided to do something different. I decided to put on a double judged, two day open show. What was different is I have made it totally free for the exhibitors including the stalling. Boy, did it take off! I hold it at my place and I could not believe the support I have received. A local farm store donated all the panels to turn my indoor arena into stalls. I offered a $500.00 cash award to the High Point over all horse. I had people start volunteering money and last year I gave over $2700.00 in cash prizes to exhibitors who did not pay a thing to be here, including $500 to the High Point purebred or partbred Arab and $200 to the High Point Youth riding an Arab. The judges decided to donate their time. A motel gave me their rooms for the judges. It was amazing! We had prizes for classes and a silent auction to raise money. Guess what? We are doing it again this year and we have just as many cash high points again! The atmosphere at the show was amazing. People were friendly and no complaining. I already knew as management I had the option to say "What did you expect for free?" LOL If you want to see more about it, go to Montana Super Horse SHow on facebook or to my website rosewood-equine.com
I know there are amazing people in the horse show world and I love it.

I went to your site....all I can say is wow. Congratulations on making your dream come true.

#56 asuekrose

asuekrose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 294 posts

Posted 07 March 2017 - 07:10 PM

I went to your site....all I can say is wow. Congratulations on making your dream come true.

Thank you! So many people have helped out. It is amazing. It is the cliche, if you build it, they will come! I would love to do a free Arab show. Maybe I will try that next.

#57 debs

debs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 10 March 2017 - 12:16 AM

Sad, and sadder still is that many feel exactly the same way....

this is exactly right. I refuse to pour my money into such a broken system anymore.  I refuse to go in the ring with those horses that are abused anymore.  I did it for years, even before it got this bad, but now I won't do it anymore. I tried being in there, giving the judges something different, and they didn't reward me, they didnt' appreciate me, I tried, and decided that taking my money elsewhere was better. 
I also feel like the specatators were actually learning that MY horses weren't good enough. I was looking out of place, too natural, too low key.  that actually makes the overly trained and overly animated horses look better , in the opinion of some people.
I have not abandoned arabian horses, quite the contrary, I am having my horses be ambassadors to stock horse people, riding in parades, open shows, birthday parties, etc.
I occasionally show at smaller rated shows, but generally I leave feeling disheartened about the treatment of many of the horses.
run off, for me, means that I tried, but things didn't change and I HAD to quit if I wanted to not have my stomach turning at an event that was supposed to be fun.  Run off, leaving not because I wanted too, but because didn't agree with what was allowed to go on.