Photo

WEST NILES CAN BE TREATED!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
36 replies to this topic

#11 ShadesOfGoldArabians

ShadesOfGoldArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:03 AM

Just throwing this out there since its pertinent (despite the fact that I'm a mere money grubbing vet): https://www.ncbi.nlm...n encephalitis

Its not WNV, but VEE and its in mice not horses. ​( So its not West Nile and its not  horses and its pertinent how? )

Regardless, in this laboratory controlled, peer reviewed study, losartin resulted in faster death.  Direct quote: "Survival analysis showed that 100% mortality was reached earlier in infected rats treated with losartan (day 14) or PDTC (day 11) than in untreated animals (day 19)"  In lay terms: Mice treated with this drug died 26% sooner than those that had NOT been treated.

​Seriously?  You just proved beyond a shadow of a doubt that people like you, (money grubbing vets as you described yourself)  DO NOT want this  miraculous, inexpensive treatment to succeed. Your handed all of the information you need to do a simple internet search to get the details and all you can come up with is an article about lab rats being treated for a different disease and think you've proved your point that it doesn't work?

​I don't own a RAT, I didn't research RAT studies. I researched West Nile treatment. I found several articles about treating humans, eagles and horses successfully with Losartin. I never saw the article you mentioned about RATS.

​How could a person faced with life and death situations act so negatively when you have just been supplied with a simple, inexpensive solution for a disease that causes death on possibly a daily basis, all over the world,  for innocent horses. I did not say it was 100% guaranteed to save every life every time it is used. NOTHING can do this.  It saved my horses life, so I KNOW it works. Do you have ANY idea how every person on this forum would feel about you if you had just said

​"I am going to contact this vet, study his research and offer this treatment option to any and all of my clients that have a horse with West Nile symptoms.  Tell your clients that there is a ongoing trial with  positive results for treatment with Losartin, which is a very inexpensive drug that may have your horse well on its way to recovery before the test results can even come back from the lab."

You would be a hero. Do you have any idea how many people have their horses put to sleep because they cant afford to do the traditional vet treatment? You could be a huge part of the trial that proves this treatment plan works!!

Anyone that is worried about losing money is not looking at the big picture. You could possibly be the ONLY vet in your state that can advertise that they are participating in a  medical trial for treating horses with Losartin to cure West Nile. The sky is the limit. I am going to print out the research and take it to my vet and pray that he is willing to do this. I am going to make copies and mail them to all of the vets I can find starting in my own state.   

SHADES OF GOLD ARABIANS & PINTABIANS

HOME OF THE HIGHEST PERCENT ARABIAN CREMELLO IN THE WORLD

THE GO TO PLACE FOR GORGEOUS HIGH PERCENT ARABIAN DILUTES AND DOUBLE DILUTES

http://www.goldarabians.com

#12 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:37 AM

You obviously are uninterested in hearing about how research works. I am glad you think a single dose cured your horse.

Unfortunately, many medications can speed the death of horses. VEE is a viral, just like WNV. RESULTS HAVE TO BE PROVEN TO THE FDA THAT THEY WONT KILL YOUR HORSES! High blood pressure medication certainly can have its own risk, particularly with a recumbent horse.

#13 ShadesOfGoldArabians

ShadesOfGoldArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:44 AM

For anyone interested in reading the real results of using Losartin to treat West Nile Here are some links: There are more I just don't have time right now to look them up and add them. I will add more after I get done with my mare, who by the way is doing awesome. I led her out to eat grass yesterday. She is eating everything I put in front of her, drinking plenty of water, and whinnying to her foal who is in the coral connecting to hers.

http://www.equestria...virus-8-06.html

http://www.news-medi...8/21/19567.aspx

http://www.prnewswir...e-75055277.html

http://www.bizjourna.../13/focus7.html

http://www.infection...irus-encep.aspx

Speedy recovery for West Nile horse

November 19, 2006

GenoMed says that the fourth horse in its expanded trial for West Nile virus encephalitis recovered within two hours of starting treatment.

Last Tuesday, a horse owner in Seguin, Texas telephoned GenoMed to say that her horse was dying. Despite West Nile virus serum, steroids, and Benamine, the horse could no longer blink, let alone stand.

Within 2 hours of the first dose of GenoMed's treatment, the horse jumped up and began drinking and eating.

West Nile virus encephalitis affects horses more severely than people, and the odds of recovery are slimmer. As with people, recovery from viral encephalitis usually takes at least a week. Recovery within 24 hours, like GenoMed's four horses so far, and most of GenoMed's human patients, is extremely unusual.

Said Dr. Moskowitz, GenoMed's CEO and Chief Medical Officer, "It's always thrilling to solve a previously deadly disease. What's exciting is that our approach should work for most viruses—including avian influenza ("bird flu")—in most animals with a backbone. We could be on the threshold of a brand new age in treating viral diseases."

#14 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 09:48 AM

He has had more than ten years to try to rustle up enough proof to show veterinarians some hope. He has failed. He is a snake oil salesman in my eyes. Just trying to give people hope. Particularly when he has a patent, so no one else can step on his toes...

Many horses rally with just plain supportive care, particularly if they were vaccinated.

#15 ShadesOfGoldArabians

ShadesOfGoldArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:16 AM

You obviously are uninterested in hearing about how research works.  (I think your missing the point here. As if have said MANY times. I have enlisted my mare in the TRIAL (which means the study to determine if this drug is effective in curing West Nile. My mare has been saved by participating in this MEDICAL TRIAL as horse #13. Of course she is not 100% cured after 24 hours, but she is recovering more and more each day.)

I am glad you think a single dose cured your horse.  (You must have skimmed over my original post. I did not say she was CURED in a single dose. I said she had improved to the point of miraculously now eating and drinking....so no IV needed. She is still getting one dose per day)

Unfortunately, many medications can speed the death of horses. VEE is a viral, just like WNV. (And WNV also speeds the death of horses, people, etc.)

RESULTS HAVE TO BE PROVEN TO THE FDA THAT THEY WONT KILL YOUR HORSES!  (And as I said, my horse is enrolled as an active participant in the active study that is being done to prove to the FDA that Losartin WONT KILL YOUR HORSES!  I don't know how long it will take to prove that to the FDA but as far as myself and the 12 other horse owners that have used the Losartin we have our proof. It takes years to have enough proof for the FDA and if people continue to have the negative attitude that I have witnessed here already it may never get approved by the FDA but I would bet money that if Horse owners are aware of this and can get the medicine they will try it anyway whether it is FDA approved yet or not)

High blood pressure medication certainly can have its own risk, (I cant think of any medicine that doesn't come with a long list of possible side effects)

particularly with a recumbent horse.  (I'm relieved that she is a so called recumbent horse instead of a dead horse)

It seems like I have become the bad guy here for some reason but m not sorry I posted this because it is important for all horse owners to know it is available if they do need it.  I always expect some people on this forum to argue about anything and every thing. So if you are interested in learning more about this TRIAL you can click on the links I have provided below or do an internet search for Genomed West Nile treatment for horses or something similar.  Sadly people cant get this medication on their own so we need Vets to get on board and offer this medicine to their clients or be willing to call in a prescription to the pharmacy for the client to pick up.

#16 ShadesOfGoldArabians

ShadesOfGoldArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 10:28 AM

He has had more than ten years to try to rustle up enough proof to show veterinarians some hope.  (The vets are like doctors, they see their income drying up if people like him keep on coming up with inexpensive cures for deadly diseases that they make money from treating.)

He has failed. (He has not failed.  I plan on doing everything in my power to make sure people know there are other options than putting your horse to sleep or paying your vet hundreds or thousands of $ to try to save their horses).

He is a snake oil salesman in my eyes. Just trying to give people hope. (There are already studies out there that prove that is a bunch of rubbish, if people dont know about it they cant try it. I plan on letting people know and promoting this in every way I can)

Particularly when he has a patent, so no one else can step on his toes... (Why would anyone else want to step on his toes if it is all a hoax?  That doesn't even make any sense. Your saying he has a useless patent and everyone should just forget about Losartin curing diseases.)

Many horses rally with just plain supportive care, particularly if they were vaccinated. (And many don't...and many horse owners cant afford to provide the care they need.)

​I'm done arguing with you. I have proof that it works and nothing you say will change that.  And she is ready to get out and eat some grass and stretch her legs.  So its time for me to get off here.

#17 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 11:51 AM

Bullshit. There is nothing making money in supportive care. It is time expensive, long hours and not how clinics make money. I wish veterinary medicine made money, but I have yet to see it in local practices. All the vets I work for drive used cars, work horrible hours, are in a dangerous profession where we have the highest suicide rates due to compassion fatigue and many other reasons... and work with dangerous animals that can seriously injure us.

He has had 10+ years to try to prove his medication protocol. That is beyond time to prove a protocol. But you have to have controls and be able to show that you aren't causing damage.

#18 ShadesOfGoldArabians

ShadesOfGoldArabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 620 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 01:57 PM

Bullshit. There is nothing making money in supportive care. It is time expensive, long hours and not how clinics make money. (Then why in the he#& are you so against trying this treatment? there IS proof that it has worked and NO proof that it hasn't. Therefore there is no reason that you should refuse to try it. It is a legal medical study. As long as the client knows this and makes the decision to try it its a win win solution. They have forms you can down load and print off, have them available in your office for the client to fill out. That is how research works. Each time it is used you are participating in the research. If it doesn't get the horse eating and or drinking within 24 hours then you can start putting in iv fluids and doing all of your supportive therapy. The majority of the horses will probably not even be able to be loaded and brought to your office if they are like my mare was.  So you make an office call, give the meds and wait to see if it improves on its own before you  put it to sleep or panic.

I wish veterinary medicine made money, but I have yet to see it in local practices. All the vets I work for drive used cars, work horrible hours, are in a dangerous profession where we have the highest suicide rates due to compassion fatigue and many other reasons... and work with dangerous animals that can seriously injure us.  ( My vet has a new truck that he drives to farm calls, plenty of people working for him, several vets that alternate being on call, and yes, he stays very busy. He would not be doing it if he didn't make money at it. The main  horse vet was actually off on a vacation when my horse got sick, and the expert Equine vet that diagnosed my mare with West Nile was heading out on a vacation the following morning. I think they are doing all right. Ive never heard of any vets commiting suicide in my part of the country.)  

He has had 10+ years to try to prove his medication protocol. That is beyond time to prove a protocol. But you have to have controls and be able to show that you aren't causing damage. (And you have to have co-operation to prove it. Theres no telling how many people have used this and not reported it to him for his research

I'm done with this. I have better things to do than try to teach you things that you could find on the internet yourself if you wanted to.. I really don't care if you ever try this medicine, but hopefully you will not have to watch your own horse die of this disease and then wonder afterwards if you should have at least tried it. 

#19 Stanislav

Stanislav

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:41 PM

Because using medications off-label without any research to back it up can get a vet to lose their license if a person really wants to push the issue with the state board when things go sideways.

If he had any proof, he would go about research the NORMAL way. Get a $&@ grant by putting in front of peers that be at a university and getting a real study put together with horses that aren't people's pets. He has had the time. He hasn't bothered to actually put information out in a safe way. It is a few horses... that doesn't MEAN anything in the greater scheme of things. I am sorry.

Work vehicles are a lot different than regular life. Sorry sweetie. We can't have a truck break down on the way to an emergency. And we HAVE TO TAKE VACATIONS. Did you see the part about vets commiting suicide.

#20 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 12 October 2016 - 02:50 PM

Do you have any real idea how extremely difficult it is these days to get such a grant? You actually have to have some proof that it could be worthwhile

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :(