Photo

USDA Proposal Update- feedback due by 9/26 (email from AHA)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#21 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

Sort of right up there with "save the mustangs" and all that.

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#22 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 11:58 AM

Sort of right up there with "save the mustangs" and all that.

Mustangs live in the wild.  They are feral animals, not domesticated like other breeds.  I'm all for protecting them in their habitat, just as I am the wolf and other endangered WILD species.  We have domesticated the horse to the point where they would not survive well, nor long if left untended, any more than our dogs or housecats.  

I'm glad I'm providing you with fodder for argument.

RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#23 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 12:40 PM

Exactly. The point being, those who understand the least about the subject are the ones getting to make the rules. And, as you said, Mustangs are not WILD, they are feral.NOT native to the habitat, and they do domesticate rather easily, unlike a moose or wolf. And cats? They tend to do quite well without humans, or there wouldn't be so many feral ones.And don't get me started on wild dog packs.

#24 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 01:06 PM

The American Horse Council is on board as well as AQHA.  These are heavyweight organizations, so hopefully this proposal can be re-written to better clarify abusive practices and target those committing them

http://www.horsecoun...ct-regulations/

RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#25 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:27 PM

it will be interesting to see the resolution AHA says they are planning for convention this year.

I would like to be hopeful but suspect it isll have zero actual impat on the "​shoe packages" currently used on many of the saddleseat horses

I did respond to the proposal some time back to say we should be able to use a single thin pad or a set of the pads to lift low heels.  I cannot support the stacks of pads.  I would be willing to bet that if our organization would jump on this with a similar proposal (one that says they will eliminate the multiple pads on a foot), we would see this issue resolve in a more satisfactory manner

#26 Laura

Laura

Laura

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,195 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 02:34 PM

Notice that "shoeing with NORMAL pads" is repeated many times. He is NOT addressing the "many pads" stacks and clamps worn by so many. I have worn "construction worker shoes", as a crew foreman, and I have picked up a pad stack with attached shoe. MY boot weighed 14 ounces............my foot being almost twice the size of a horse's.

My husband boots weight 2.5 lbs each. 

Your simply nit-picking.

#27 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 28 September 2016 - 03:01 PM

My husband boots weight 2.5 lbs each. 

Your simply nit-picking.

Because you didn't get the point?

#28 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 01 October 2016 - 03:01 PM

2. The proposed rule will also ban any substance or agent applied to a horse’s limbs either before or after a horse is shown, exhibited, or offered for sale at a horse show, exhibition, sale, or auction. This rule would ban fly spray, Show Sheen, topical ointments, and any other products routinely applied to horses that promote their overall health and well being.

^^This is ludicrous!  Any products that promote their overall health and well being????

Good grief!   Next thing you know worming will be banned prior to shows. I applaud the effort to eliminate show packages, but this ^^^ goes beyond stupid, IMO. Why does proposing a rule on something pretty simple have to morph into this ^^^??????

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.