Photo

USDA Proposal Update- feedback due by 9/26 (email from AHA)

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
27 replies to this topic

#1 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,679 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 06:36 AM

I just received an email this morning from AHA asking for the members to use their form letter to the USDA regarding the USDA proposal update.  

Here is a link they provided to the proposal.  I'm still not clear on exactly what this means for AHA except I see more fees in our future!  

Anyone have any insight on this?  And, why did AHA wait until the last day to solicit feedback / support from their members on this?

https://www.federalr...tm_medium=email

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#2 Chelsea

Chelsea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 07:25 AM

This, basically, means nothing beyond a keg plate (15 oz) on any horse anywhere. No pads. Because it is so broad, it could also mean we could not use wraps, liniment, fly spray, etc. 

The best summary of it & its possible consequences is at http://www.morganhor...09062016[1].pdf

Comments are actually accepted until October 26th. APAHA is trying to get that updated in the blast, I believe.

Please, please comment against the inclusion of all breeds!

PA Layla++/ 2016 Canadian National Champion Arabian Hunter Pl AAOTR & Top Ten AATR, 2014 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR; 2016, 2015 & 2014 Canadian National Top Ten SHIH ATH (x 5)

WOA Matador+/ 2013 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR, 2012 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR, 2010 US National Top Ten AAOTR

S Just DiMaggio++/ 2016 Canadian National Top Ten in SHIH (x 4) and Training Level ATR, 2010 Canadian National Top Ten Jackpot Colt

#3 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 09:33 AM

Why should Arabians be exempt from being protected the same as other breeds?

:bigemo_harabe_net-135:   :( 

#4 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:15 AM

Why should Arabians be exempt from being protected the same as other breeds?

This isn't a matter of "protection".  There are so many broad, general terms and loopholes in the proposed document that it would not be fair to any breed, owner or exhibitor to pass it as it reads now.  A keg shoe or barefoot is not the answer to every horse's needs.  I for one have a horse who cannot be ridden without a pad under his shoe as we keep his feet short, due to a hoof condition and the soles of his feet are so near the ground that he becomes sore without packing and a pad.  These are not there to enhance his motion - he is a hunter - they are there to protect his sensitive foot.  The main issue here was "soring" of Tennessee Walkers, but of course it was dramatized into all horse breeds even though no others that I know of use these abhorrent practices.  I am absolutely against any kind of abuse.  USEF has its own rules in place to prevent over shoeing and they police it very well.  I don't believe we need an outside entity making a blanket statement about all horses.  JMO

RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#5 SportArab

SportArab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 10:19 AM

I haven't read the bill. But I do feel that legislation that gets rid of the shoing packages would be a good thing for all breeds, including ours.

Co-author of Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry

www.duelforthecrown.com

Owner: Fiery Run Farm, breeding beautiful athletes and standing Pavvo (*Erros x Khassiopeia)

www.fieryrunfarm.com

#6 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 11:04 AM

I haven't read the bill. But I do feel that legislation that gets rid of the shoing packages would be a good thing for all breeds, including ours.

I 100% agree with you on that, which is what I meant to infer. NO horse actually NEEDS that crap.

#7 Kate'sbiggestfan

Kate'sbiggestfan

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 224 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:04 PM

I 100% agree with you on that, which is what I meant to infer. NO horse actually NEEDS that crap.

So, let's say you have a horse with thin soles, putting a thin pad on with the shoe would add additional protection.  Then, if this rule passes as written, you go show this horse with it's thin pad, based on way this rule is currently written, you would be in violation and would be excused or could not show your horse with the pad.  The way this is currently written.  There are horses, like people, that are not built perfectly symmetrical, using pad (s)or a small wedge within reason can make them comfortable and balanced.  I know, I have had 2 of those animals.  However, based as written if passed, I could not do that.  I do NOT CONDONE what has happened in the TWH industry.  However, AHA in combination with USEF is making appropriate changes for the betterment of our breed and I do NOT support this rule as written and let them know it about 2 weeks ago.

Ginny C.

#8 Chelsea

Chelsea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:41 PM

So, let's say you have a horse with thin soles, putting a thin pad on with the shoe would add additional protection.  Then, if this rule passes as written, you go show this horse with it's thin pad, based on way this rule is currently written, you would be in violation and would be excused or could not show your horse with the pad.  The way this is currently written.  There are horses, like people, that are not built perfectly symmetrical, using pad (s)or a small wedge within reason can make them comfortable and balanced.  I know, I have had 2 of those animals.  However, based as written if passed, I could not do that.  I do NOT CONDONE what has happened in the TWH industry.  However, AHA in combination with USEF is making appropriate changes for the betterment of our breed and I do NOT support this rule as written and let them know it about 2 weeks ago.

Exactly, and what then happens to the (I suspect high) number of horses that would no longer have show careers? We all realistically know how not well that would end up for a lot of horses. Not everyone has the kindness to take suitable care of them anyway. I suspect we would lose a lot of industry involvement over this, as well as AHA members, which would lead to other problems down the road for AHA and all Arabian horse owners.

You also MUST keep in mind that there is nothing on here that limits this only to show horses. This could affect older horses that are happily maintained and comfortable only because of therapeutic shoeing. I have a friend with one. If she had to take his pads off, he would be in a LOT of pain and very lame (they tried going barefoot with him...didn't work. AT ALL). He would probably not live long. As it stands, he's happy and sound with his pads. How are those pads hurting him? By prolonging his happy retired horse life? Will farriers want to risk putting on something illegal on a horse? I'm not sure I would want to, even if that horse never leaves that barn. This is not a SHOW rule. It's an everyday federal law. 

And I should add, if you haven't read the USEF statement I posted earlier, I suggest you do so. For those of you supporting this bill, it may change your mind. It shows just how wide reaching this would be. Shame on anyone who supports this and comments on it without researching all sides. If you read it, research it well, and still support it, I will agree to disagree, but don't expect me to stop posting so others see all sides of this :) 

PA Layla++/ 2016 Canadian National Champion Arabian Hunter Pl AAOTR & Top Ten AATR, 2014 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR; 2016, 2015 & 2014 Canadian National Top Ten SHIH ATH (x 5)

WOA Matador+/ 2013 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR, 2012 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR, 2010 US National Top Ten AAOTR

S Just DiMaggio++/ 2016 Canadian National Top Ten in SHIH (x 4) and Training Level ATR, 2010 Canadian National Top Ten Jackpot Colt

#9 OHR

OHR

lonely heart

• ABN Supporter
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,943 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:53 PM

Please. Actually READ what was stated

You will then realize no one is against a thin pad and a regular shoe. She said PACKAGES, did she not? As for one foot needing a wedge, that is a conformational defect.A thin line there.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you only half-read what is said deliberately so you can try to start some crap.

Exactly, and what then happens to the (I suspect high) number of horses that would no longer have show careers? We all realistically know how not well that would end up for a lot of horses. Not everyone has the kindness to take suitable care of them anyway. I suspect we would lose a lot of industry involvement over this, as well as AHA members, which would lead to other problems down the road for AHA and all Arabian horse owners.

You also MUST keep in mind that there is nothing on here that limits this only to show horses. This could affect older horses that are happily maintained and comfortable only because of therapeutic shoeing. I have a friend with one. If she had to take his pads off, he would be in a LOT of pain and very lame (they tried going barefoot with him...didn't work. AT ALL). He would probably not live long. As it stands, he's happy and sound with his pads. How are those pads hurting him? By prolonging his happy retired horse life? Will farriers want to risk putting on something illegal on a horse? I'm not sure I would want to, even if that horse never leaves that barn. This is not a SHOW rule. It's an everyday federal law. 

And I should add, if you haven't read the USEF statement I posted earlier, I suggest you do so. For those of you supporting this bill, it may change your mind. It shows just how wide reaching this would be. Shame on anyone who supports this and comments on it without researching all sides. If you read it, research it well, and still support it, I will agree to disagree, but don't expect me to stop posting so others see all sides of this :)

Again, PACKAGES! You know, those really stupid looking stacks the TWH people started and Arabian people just HAD to imitate. Do YOU need a reading lesson too? In your own words, read and understand before you jump.

#10 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 26 September 2016 - 01:55 PM

Please. Actually READ what was stated

You will then realize no one is against a thin pad and a regular shoe. She said PACKAGES, did she not? As for one foot needing a wedge, that is a conformational defect.A thin line there.

Sometimes I wonder if some of you only half-read what is said deliberately so you can try to start some crap.

There's no need to get nasty here, OHR.  The whole point is that this proposal is not just targeting "packages" on show horses.  It makes it illegal to use even a thin pad or any other type shoe than a keg - on any horse - at any time.  Can we please keep our conversations kind and civil?  Everyone has a right to state their beliefs.  This is what these forums are for.  None of us are above learning something new from listening to others viewpoints.

RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."