Photo

DNA Testing requirements - Rescued/Auction horse - Questions

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 grayarabs

grayarabs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 10 May 2016 - 07:22 PM

Several years ago I bought a PB gelding.   

Have often wondered if the papers that came with him are really his.

I never registered him in my name.  

A few weeks ago I called AHA.    Explained I wanted to test his DNA to the  DNA of the sire on the papers.

I was told to send a letter,  hair (50 follicles) and $65 for DNA testing.  Sounded reasonable.

Today I called AHA again.   (Did I need to send in the papers with the sample?)

Anyway, today was told that for DNA testing I needed to be the registered owner and an AHA member.

Costs:

$65    DNA test

$50    Transfer of ownership

$40    AHA membership

Is that correct?   

All I want to know is if  the DNA matches. 

(I suspect it will).     

I don't have a reason or a need to be an AHA member or have him registered in my name.

It just doesn't sit well having to pay $90 to do the $65 DNA test.

And...what if the DNA doesn't match?    

Thanks any help here.

#2 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 04:13 AM

Several years ago I bought a PB gelding.   

Have often wondered if the papers that came with him are really his.

I never registered him in my name.  

A few weeks ago I called AHA.    Explained I wanted to test his DNA to the  DNA of the sire on the papers.

I was told to send a letter,  hair (50 follicles) and $65 for DNA testing.  Sounded reasonable.

Today I called AHA again.   (Did I need to send in the papers with the sample?)

Anyway, today was told that for DNA testing I needed to be the registered owner and an AHA member.

Costs:

$65    DNA test

$50    Transfer of ownership

$40    AHA membership

Is that correct?   

All I want to know is if  the DNA matches. 

(I suspect it will).     

I don't have a reason or a need to be an AHA member or have him registered in my name.

It just doesn't sit well having to pay $90 to do the $65 DNA test.

And...what if the DNA doesn't match?    

Thanks any help here.

Sounds like it's going to cost you $90 to satisfy your curiosity.  AHA is all about making money which  they need  for survival.  

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#3 klagrutta

klagrutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 05:34 AM

Does his markings match the papers?  I would start there.  Depending on his age, he would have been parentage matched to the sire and dam with DNA at the time of registration.  I am not sure if the DNA info will really be helpful.  If he does match, you will know the papers are his and he will be registered to you.  If he doesn't match, the papers are not his and you have an unregistered gelding.  AHA can't tell you who is from his DNA.  They can only tell you if he matches the sire and dam.  Your gelding is a product of both parents.  Not sure why you just want to test the sire.

#4 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:14 AM

Those prices sound correct and reasonable.

I can understand AHA needing you to be the owner of record before running the horses DNA. There is nothing unreasonable about that.

Either it is worth $150 for you to find out if your horse is the one that matches the papers or it isn't.

If you spent the money and it turned out he was not the horse on the papers then obviously your would wind up with a horse with no papers.

Personally I would just let it be.  He is a gelding.

I would do as lkagrutta suggested, just look at his papers and see if the markings match. 

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#5 grayarabs

grayarabs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:42 PM

Thanks.  I'll probably do the testing. 

If the papers are his that means he's 30.   I don't want him to be 30.  

Some years ago the vet said his teeth didn't match his age.  

Also, his background is sketchy.

Years ago I saw an ad about this horse and called.     The "dealer" had the name of a previous owner - I got that info and called him.

Apparently this horse had been an SPCA starvation/confiscation case.     

He was re-homed with a man who had him several years.

He sold him to someone who I also talked to.   That person had him three days and sent him to auction.

Apparently the horse went through several auctions before ending up at the "dealer" a couple of hours from me.

How his papers could have followed him through all that - dunno - I guess is possible.

But........his papers match his markings.

The parts drawn in and the typed parts.   Can papers be tampered with???

His alleged sire is Lok-Wyn Talib who has  DNA on file.  Not a MR stallion - but  CTR.

If anyone looks him up - my horse is the one with the goofy name starting with a "T". 

Bonus points to anyone who figures out how someone came up with that name.         

I'm not a member of Datasource anymore - but IIRC Talib sired only a few PB gray males.

IIRC one is "Nick at Noon". 

Is there another one with name of "Grayson"?     Recent google search for Talib shows an ad on FB for "Grayson".

One of those photos - an expression - looks so much like my horse it's spooky.

#6 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:57 PM

Edited

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#7 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 06:58 PM

Thanks.  I'll probably do the testing. 

If the papers are his that means he's 30.   I don't want him to be 30.  

Some years ago the vet said his teeth didn't match his age.  

Also, his background is sketchy.

Years ago I saw an ad about this horse and called.     The "dealer" had the name of a previous owner - I got that info and called him.

Apparently this horse had been an SPCA starvation/confiscation case.     

He was re-homed with a man who had him several years.

He sold him to someone who I also talked to.   That person had him three days and sent him to auction.

Apparently the horse went through several auctions before ending up at the "dealer" a couple of hours from me.

How his papers could have followed him through all that - dunno - I guess is possible.

But........his papers match his markings.

The parts drawn in and the typed parts.   Can papers be tampered with???

His alleged sire is Lok-Wyn Talib who has  DNA on file.  Not a MR stallion - but  CTR.

If anyone looks him up - my horse is the one with the goofy name starting with a "T". 

Bonus points to anyone who figures out how someone came up with that name.         

I'm not a member of Datasource anymore - but IIRC Talib sired only a few PB gray males.

IIRC one is "Nick at Noon". 

Is there another one with name of "Grayson"?     Recent google search for Talib shows an ad on FB for "Grayson".

One of those photos - an expression - looks so much like my horse it's spooky.

You can buy a datasource subscription for a day for $9.95 (IIRC) and see if his markings match.   Will also be able to see former owners, accomplishments, etc.  I'd probably start there if he were mine and I wasn't sure.  

Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#8 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 08:46 PM

What is his name, according to the papers? Tolaerab Degh? I'm guessing it's meant to mean "tolerable day". Why, I have no clue!!

Lok-Wyn Talib sired 29 registered foals. None have a partial name "Grayson".

13 chestnuts

7 greys

8 bays

1 "roan"

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#9 grayarabs

grayarabs

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:10 PM

Thanks.  The papers shown above - wrong horse.    Perhaps "Nick at Noon's" papers?

I'll try to post mine - (Tolaerab DEGH) and maybe photos - if I can.

I feel 95% certain the papers are his - just the 5% has bugged me for years.

I think he went through several low end/all breed auctions around Texas.      How could his papers have stayed with him???

If you have nothing to do - study the name.    It took me years to figure out how they came up with it.

The "T" part is pretty clever - as awful as it looks/sounds - and obviously I don't use that name). 

(I still haven't figured out the DEGH part though).

#10 klagrutta

klagrutta

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 79 posts

Posted 11 May 2016 - 09:11 PM

BFF, I don't think that is her gelding.  Tolaerab Degh is.  He still has a unique face marking.  Can you post the markings?  I don't know how yet.  

If he matches the markings on datasource, it is probably him.  Markings are drawn when the papers are submitted.  They are not changed unless photos are sent in and paperwork is submitted to AHA.  Since it looks like he was registered by six months since he changed owners, AHA would be showing the markings submitted at registration.