Photo

USEF RULING: BIG CHANGES FOR MAIN RING HALTER!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#11 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:57 PM

I'm a member of that group and I am so happy to read that USEF has taken a giant step in reducing, and hopefully eliminating abuse in the ring.  Now, I'd like to see other abusive practices, e.g. pvc pipe in a horses open mouth to tire the jaw  so horse is quiet in the bit, or  shoe packages.   One step at a time!

I think it will be a long time before the shoe packages disappear. Once the TWH arena is cleaned up, I suspect the Saddlebreds will be next, then Arabians and Morgans will be on deck for shoeing regulation changes. You wouldn't believe the fit the Saddlebred people are having because the tail cutting issue is under the microscope right now. Those poor horses standing in full tail sets every day, confined to stalls so they have a pretty tail in the ring, and no horse with that kind of shoe package can have turnout, they would do some serious damage. 

Really, what we do to horses in order to win ribbons, or be competitive is a little over the top sometime in my opinion. 

If people are claiming these horses require the  show shoes for therapeutic reasons to stay sound ( really, they walk trot and canter on groomed footing) then I think the breed is doomed. 

It would be nice to see the halter horses no longer having to do that horrible, fearful stand up, seeing some horses so stressed in the ring is truly heart breaking. 

One step at a time :) 

Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#12 maryjo

maryjo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,733 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:24 PM

I predict this coming convention there will be a resolution for AHA to leave USEF

MaryJo

#13 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:30 PM

I predict this coming convention there will be a resolution for AHA to leave USEF

Hope you're wrong 

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#14 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 02:45 PM

I bet your prediction is correct sadly……...

Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#15 MLM65

MLM65

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 442 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:39 PM

If this winds up being the case then I no longer have a bit of sympathy for any of them. They will be right up there along with the big lick walking horses. They need to think long and hard! Just how important is it to them to keep this up?

Side note: can't remember the Facebook group, but saw a video last week of Tom McNair showing Morafic at Scottsdale many moons ago in the stallinn class. The class appeared to be huge and there was nary a shanking to be seen. [sarcasm] It's amazing how much better well behaved the horses were back then.[/sarcasm]

#16 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:44 PM

I think it will be a long time before the shoe packages disappear. Once the TWH arena is cleaned up, I suspect the Saddlebreds will be next, then Arabians and Morgans will be on deck for shoeing regulation changes. You wouldn't believe the fit the Saddlebred people are having because the tail cutting issue is under the microscope right now. Those poor horses standing in full tail sets every day, confined to stalls so they have a pretty tail in the ring, and no horse with that kind of shoe package can have turnout, they would do some serious damage. 

Really, what we do to horses in order to win ribbons, or be competitive is a little over the top sometime in my opinion. 

If people are claiming these horses require the  show shoes for therapeutic reasons to stay sound ( really, they walk trot and canter on groomed footing) then I think the breed is doomed. 

It would be nice to see the halter horses no longer having to do that horrible, fearful stand up, seeing some horses so stressed in the ring is truly heart breaking. 

One step at a time :)

I hope so! So sad about the SB and I hope positive changes are in the works.

If this winds up being the case then I no longer have a bit of sympathy for any of them. They will be right up there along with the big lick walking horses. They need to think long and hard! Just how important is it to them to keep this up?

Side note: can't remember the Facebook group, but saw a video last week of Tom McNair showing Morafic at Scottsdale many moons ago in the stallinn class. The class appeared to be huge and there was nary a shanking to be seen. [sarcasm] It's amazing how much better well behaved the horses were back then.[/sarcasm]

Yep, I agree.

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#17 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,368 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:34 PM

I did my part in the fight against shoe packages. As of last week WCF Rampage+/ has finally graduated to a flat, plain steel shoe. Does he move differently than he did six months ago when wearing his "moderate hunter package"? Yep! Do I care if he's not picked out in the lineup because of this one factor? NO!!!! He actually has his own heels now and his feet look terrific!

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#18 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:43 PM

The cynic in me thinks this at best will be selectively enforced. Who were the trainers that were the subject of the videos that inspired this rule change? I presume they were named in the protest.

I absolutely believe what Maryjo said.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#19 dragon

dragon

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,283 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 01:51 AM

If AHA leaves USEF the breed is screwed.  Who's going to do the drug testing?  Just not bother?  The trainers will have a field day.

Have been a member of both for close to 50 years and they need each other.

Doubt main ring halter will change since most of the judges are trainers and they don't want to piss off their buddies.

#20 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 30 April 2016 - 06:30 AM

As long as someone claims the were "in imminent danger" they can shank away.

I also want to know what constitutes shanking.   Is one not allowed to correct the horse at all- even very mildly- if it is creeping forward?  

What is a threat with the whip?  Can it even be raised at all any more?

Are the videos that were used for the protest up anywhere?

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050