Photo

USEF RULING: BIG CHANGES FOR MAIN RING HALTER!

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
50 replies to this topic

#1 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:07 AM

Saw this on Facebook this morning and thought I would share, I think this is great news and a step in the right direction. 

* Note I did not write this, just sharing*

"Do you show in the Arabian Halter ring? Get ready for some CHANGES! FOR THE BETTER!!!!!!!

USEF HEARING COMMITTEE RULING:
Well, folks, it was a long road. The Arabian Coalition set out to highlight the accepted abuse practices in the halter ring, and I would say, we were exceptionally successful. The Hearing Committee ruled in the most effective manner I could imagine.
The Hearing Committee recognized, fully, the goals of The Arabian Coalition and agreed. This is a quote directly from the ruling,
“Given the underlying posture of this case, the Hearing Committee Panel concluded that a global response is more appropriate to resolve these allegations, and that it is not necessary or particularly fair under these circumstances for (these trainers) to be the center of this ruling. Accordingly, in its discretion, the Hearing Committee Panel chose to give a wider resolution to what it clearly perceived to be a global issue, as opposed to framing this ruling around a narrower question of whether (these trainers) should be subject to penalty for alleged abuse. At the center of The Arabian Coalition’s target is the accepted practices in the Arabian Halter classes or competitions with regard to shanking and other corrections of horse behavior in the ring, and this ruling globally addresses those practices.”
The Hearing Committee goes on to say that these practices conflict with Federation rules “and from this date forward, must end.” There was much in the ruling concerning the appearance of shanking and threatening use of the whip to spectators.
Ultimately, the Federation has ruled shanking is not allowed in the ring unless it is an emergency situation. They have come forth clarifying the rules AR116.a .3 and AR115.1.
It was dually noted the Arabian Horse Association has misinterpreted rules and therefore, the Federation is clarifying. The Hearing Committee Panel stated, “From the date of this ruling forward, AR116.6.a.3 will allow shanking in Arabian Halter classes or competitions only in emergency situations where a horse becomes dangerously unruly and immediate shanking is required in order to regain control of the horse and prevent imminent harm to the horse or others. In conjunction with AR115.1, with the exception of emergency circumstances where the horse is physically out of control and creating imminent danger to itself or others, from the date of this ruling forward, the threatening use of a whip (or potentially other objects) as a visual cue while preparing or presenting a horse in Arabian Halter classes or competitions must be recognized as intimidating behavior that is disallowed under AR115 and the general provisions in GR839.”
This means it is classifiable as abuse to intimidate a horse. This is a major clarification of the rules as previously, the interpretation was as long as the whip never touched the horse, the rules were being followed. Intimidation is now abuse and shanking is not allowed, unless in an emergency situation.
In closing, the Hearing Committee Panel said, “Consistent with this ruling, the Hearing Committee Panel expects that judges, stewards, competition veterinarians and/or show committees shall uphold these interpretations of the rules in Arabian Halter classes or competitions by issuing the penalties outlined in the Federation General Rules and those specific to the Arabian breed.”
In talking with Emily Pratt, the USEF Regulations Director, I have been made aware that if AHA does not properly respond to this ruling it could face fines. I have been reassured AHA is in communications with USEF planning a dissemination of this ruling as USEF has already provided them with a proper statement. Stewards going to Arabian shows will be spoken to about enforcing the rules and the importance of the new expectations. I'm hopeful AHA will begin eliminating judges who are firm in the status quo as it will bring penalty to AHA from USEF to see these practices continue. According to Ms. Pratt, this is a case of precedent and now that the Emperor’s new clothes have been highlighted to be an illusion, this problem will be heavily tracked by USEF. I will say, I have not heard from AHA. However, according to USEF, this is being addressed appropriately thus far by AHA. I look forward to seeing how they choose to address this.
I will have more on this soon. For now, Congratulations to all who have joined forces with TAC. This was a win for our horses and our industry grassroots growth."

Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#2 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:14 AM

Now, it will be interesting to see if the above mentioned practices will actually be a punishable infraction...and what the punishment will be.

Sue Wells

Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#3 ridetowin

ridetowin

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 4,246 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:20 AM

Now, it will be interesting to see if the above mentioned practices will actually be a punishable infraction...and what the punishment will be.

Sue Wells

Sapphire Farms

Yes and I wonder if officials who enforce these rules will suddenly find their services no longer wanted.

I LOVE Arabian horses but my stomach literally turns watching horses shake, vibrate, and look absolutely terrified in halter. Yes there are some good guys out there that do a great job, and since they do it right I doubt they will have too much of a problem with the new rules. 

Public perception of Arabian Main Ring Halter is poor, hopefully things will change for the better. Judges need to start rewarding the horse, how it's put together, I don't want to see any more National Champions with horrendous legs.

Sonya

"If slaughterhouses had glass walls, there would be more vegetarians"

#4 SportArab

SportArab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,258 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:37 AM

I'd say that now is the time to head to shows with your phone cameras ready. You see someone shanking or abusing a horse in any way in the halter ring, video it and share the video with the steward and also with AHA and USEF. If the officials don't do their jobs the spectators can certainly fill in for them.  

Co-author of Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry

www.duelforthecrown.com

Owner: Fiery Run Farm, breeding beautiful athletes and standing Pavvo (*Erros x Khassiopeia)

www.fieryrunfarm.com

#5 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 09:56 AM

we have regionals next week

#6 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 11:20 AM

I'm very happy to see that this is what USEF came up with in response to the protests filed by TAC.
For anyone who isn't familiar and wants to be - The Arabian Coalition - is basically a grassroots group that is trying to eliminate abusive practices in the Arabian showring.You can see their FB page here -
https://www.facebook...biancoalition/ 

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!

#7 twarab

twarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 363 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:07 PM

So has anyone heard about how USEF ruled regarding the two halter trainers that had hearings resulting from things that happened at U.S. Nationals?    I have heard that the hearings have been held but did not hear regarding results. 

Trade Winds Arabians......breeders of "TW" Arabians since 1963!

#8 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 12:26 PM

it discusses that in the information above

#9 kathy s.

kathy s.

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,706 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:24 PM

I'm a member of that group and I am so happy to read that USEF has taken a giant step in reducing, and hopefully eliminating abuse in the ring.  Now, I'd like to see other abusive practices, e.g. pvc pipe in a horses open mouth to tire the jaw  so horse is quiet in the bit, or  shoe packages.   One step at a time!

Kathy
We can't afford a government so indifferent to the people it pretends to serve.

#10 Mystic Rose

Mystic Rose

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,480 posts

Posted 29 April 2016 - 01:47 PM

So has anyone heard about how USEF ruled regarding the two halter trainers that had hearings resulting from things that happened at U.S. Nationals?    I have heard that the hearings have been held but did not hear regarding results. 

That is what this ruling is about - USEF decided that it was an issue across the board - instead of sanctioning the 2 individual trainers, they are tightening the rules, expecting AHA to enforce them and saying that from NOW forward - shanking and whip inteimidation is abuse.

Jennifer Whittaker
http://www.MysticRoseArabians.com or find us on FB under Mystic Rose Arabians
Home of: Summer Saga+ (Massar El Sabbah x Summer Savannah) - proven high mileage endurance stallion and SHIH Champion.
SHN Payback Nominated, SCID and CA negative.  Sire of Regional Champions in Endurance/SHIH/SHUS and winning open dressage horses!