Photo

Looking for breeding suggestions input

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
15 replies to this topic

#1 Romar Arabians

Romar Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 452 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 09:41 AM

I'm looking for a stallion to breed my Marwan Al Shaqab daughter to. One of my first choices would be Ever After NA, but I'm not going to pay $4000 stud fee and another $1000-plus on collection/shipping/vet etc. I also like El Nabila, but I have this thing about breeding grey to color. I just prefer to breed my bay to a bay, but otherwise I have no problem with grays. My mare is out of an MS Santana daughter and she is very Polish in looks. She is very pretty headed, with a lot of substance through the body. Good legs, good feet. The whole package really. And she moves nicely. I don't want to sacrifice movement. So there's the basics. Have at it. Oh, and I want a foal that's marketable. There are a lot of great stallions out there but if no one knows about them, the foal will have a harder time selling. My problem is, I have a hard time selling the best ones. A good horse means more to me than most anything, but I still have to think about the marketing.

RB Anera Ali (Ruminaja Ali x Rosali CAHR) The last born SE Ruminaja Ali daughter
RB Kenzanne (Kenz Noor x RB Anera Ali) 2007 black-bay SE filly
RB Baaraz (Imperial Baarez x Rosali CAHR) 2004 bay SE stallion
RB Marwans Fanci (Marwan Al Shaqab x RB Mi Fanci) 2006 bay filly

www.romararabians.com

#2 Kailicia'sGirl

Kailicia'sGirl

PGN Kailicia( Kaiyoum x PGN Solataire)

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,128 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 11:00 AM

Hi there --

I have a few suggestions, including my own (hehe).

Ever After is a wonderful, dynamic sire however everyone is breeding to him - so when you go to sell the foal, that equals a lot of competition. When a horse gets that popular it becomes a double edged sword - giving you both marketability for the foal and a ton of competition when selling and showing. That said, I just LOVE that horse. But personally, I would outcross a Marwan Al Shaqab mare - IMO, they need to be outcrossed as so many are again, bred alike, the same pedigree over and over, I personally would breed Marwans striving for better tail carriage, cleaner legs and feet and straight tails and to a grey - as IMO, his most dynamic get are all grey.

My personal suggestions for this type of breeding would be Signifikaynce, El Nabila B or Sol Debut - all will give you athleticism, correctness, willing minds and marketability - but they are still rather unique and underused, so you have something "special".

El Nabila is a proven show and breeding horse who is very special - with an outcross pedigree and sireline - coupled with international and national appeal. Signifkaynce is a U.S. Reserve National champion whose stud book has just been opened - he is a proven sire of very successful foals despite the small number is an athletic and correct horse.

Sol Debut is ours - he is very correct, a proven, consistent producer despite a very small number of foals - with get winning Regional, Nationally, Internationally and at Scottsdale and with babies exported overseas. He is a U.S. and Canadian Reserve National Champion Stallion and U.S. Reserve National Champion Stallion AAO, his maternal sister is a World Reserve Champion Mare who just produced two Dubai Gold Champions and he stands for a reasonable fee of $2000. He is homozygous for grey and an extremely consistent and correct horse and sire who has crossed extremely well with Bask-bred and Polish type mares. He isn't "super duper" famous; but the babies sell well and do very well in the show ring despite that - there isn't a baby for sale on the open market :)

Sol Debut:

10599633_10204057465224576_488335411744212923233_10208493661246704_7509387910441

12717654_10208051578314907_4845736931591

In terms of a bay choice... Honestly, I can't think of one I like right now. I haven't fallen for a bay since SF Veraz but will keep an eye open!

Penny Lane Arabians https://www.facebook...152855434728757

Stallions At Stud: U.S & CDN Res. National Champion Futurity Colt, Sol Debut (x Solstice) 

The Mares: Lady Versace (Versace), Swanah (Versace), FS Betty Grable (Padrons Psyche), Flames Rhapsody (RIP - 1990-2015), PGN Show NTell+ (Showkayce+), Showanna (Showkayce+), Star Of The Sshow (Showkayce+), Ezalia (Eden C), Fleur De Lune (Sfafe Pseude), S Justabella (Justafire DGL) and the Queen - Baskskokhette+.

#3 rethacharper

rethacharper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 915 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:08 PM

You might consider Dorann's stallion Elikzir. Even though he is chestnut, he is awesome! She is BFF on here.

#4 morganm

morganm

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,577 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:47 PM

Besson, perhaps? He has a great incentive right now- $1500 stud fee, if you get a colt you don't owe anything else. If you get a filly you pay the balance of the stud fee (I believe it is currently $2500 total). He fits all of your criteria. 

I really like the Justice/Marwan crosses, but they do sacrifice athleticism sometimes. 

Home of:
multi regional champion RB Cavalier 1991 black stallion(Arabi Fadh Onyx x BA Cerulean Ebony)
reserve national champion AO Breeze 2001 chestnut stallion (Aclsic Raff x Mosha Khaitlyn)
scottsdale top 10/regional top 5 Moments Light 2001 gray mare (Thee Masterpiece x Moments Sequel)

#5 kcranford

kcranford

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,127 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 12:51 PM

I'm looking for a stallion to breed my Marwan Al Shaqab daughter to. One of my first choices would be Ever After NA, but I'm not going to pay $4000 stud fee and another $1000-plus on collection/shipping/vet etc. I also like El Nabila, but I have this thing about breeding grey to color. I just prefer to breed my bay to a bay, but otherwise I have no problem with grays. My mare is out of an MS Santana daughter and she is very Polish in looks. She is very pretty headed, with a lot of substance through the body. Good legs, good feet. The whole package really. And she moves nicely. I don't want to sacrifice movement. So there's the basics. Have at it. Oh, and I want a foal that's marketable. There are a lot of great stallions out there but if no one knows about them, the foal will have a harder time selling. My problem is, I have a hard time selling the best ones. A good horse means more to me than most anything, but I still have to think about the marketing.

Man, too bad you missed the boat on the recent AWPA Stallion Auction.  Some of THE very nicest, performance producing stallions in the industry were offered.  All breedings started at a bid price of $1,000 (thousands below many of their actual breeding fees) and some were not even bid on!!  I promised myself I was not going to breed anymore (yeah right), but I could still kick myself when I think of how low some of those stallions were bid.  Having said that, here's one of my favorites:

Onyx 2016.jpg

He is throwing some incredibly beautiful babies, both PB and HA, and that black would cross oh so well on your bay  ;)  He is by Sundance Kid V and truthfully is one of the kindest, quietest stallions I've had the pleasure to be around.  I was at Colonial Wood 2 weekends ago and Anne (his owner) was there to ride him for the first time since showing at Scottsdale.  All he has been doing in the interim is breeding - not being ridden at all - and he went around the ring for her like a pure angel.  He's passing that on to his babies too.  Just my two cents worth  :)

RUSSKA FARMS, LLC
Arabian Show Horses
Dr. Russell & Kathy Cranford
"We were created by an Artist. We are meant to live beautifully every day."

#6 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 19 April 2016 - 01:41 PM

This is the issue... not singling you out, but you hit the nail on the head. EVERYBODY has this exact goal. First off.. folks only want the great ones to buy  - who wouldn't ... (why settle for lesser horse if you're a buyer ? ). Best prioritize, and figure you very well may have this foal awhile  and then be obligated to put heavy training dollars into it when it's ready . This will dwarf the breeding expenses.  

Many accomplished stallions are listed above.... all  different - and I suspect would produce very differently ... you need some goals lined up for the foal's future if it doesn't sell... 

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#7 Lysette

Lysette

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 315 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 05:30 AM

I love color but I keep finding that many of my favorite horses are actually grey--hard to get it all LOL  I'm an Egyptian fan myself, but I just LOVE Sol Debut!  I saw him show many years ago and he is one that I have never, ever forgotten.  I just can't believe he doesn't have more foals out there.  I'm not as familiar with Elikzir, but that pedigree looks like one that has produced some of my favorite Marwan crosses.  

#8 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 20 April 2016 - 02:01 PM

I don't really have any specific stallions to suggest but I would do a lot of research looking at what various Marwan daughters have produced with different lines. Also, don't forget the color genetics when looking at stallions. Some tend to really produce certain traits with various colors. Off hand chestnut Magnums, chestnut Eden's and grey Marwans, grey Falcon BHFs...

WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and SHN top 10, MA Razcals Glori SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, Montana Athena SHN Reserve Champion
WR SHADDO HAWK+++/- Multi Regional Champion and multiple SHN Top 10
MAGNIFICO ZF-multiple Regional Champion, SHN Reserve Champion, multiple USN top 10

#9 Chelsea

Chelsea

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,466 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 08:33 AM

I don't really have any specific stallions to suggest but I would do a lot of research looking at what various Marwan daughters have produced with different lines. Also, don't forget the color genetics when looking at stallions. Some tend to really produce certain traits with various colors. Off hand chestnut Magnums, chestnut Eden's and grey Marwans, grey Falcon BHFs...

Color genetics are so fascinating to me. I 100% agree with the color lines you've listed, and I would add black/dark bay Sundance Kid V foals to that list. I could probably add more to it if I really thought about it. I think you could extend the chestnut Magnums & Edens to chestnut Psyche horses overall. 

PA Layla++/ 2016 Canadian National Champion Arabian Hunter Pl AAOTR & Top Ten AATR, 2014 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR; 2016, 2015 & 2014 Canadian National Top Ten SHIH ATH (x 5)

WOA Matador+/ 2013 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR & AATR, 2012 Canadian National Top Ten AAOTR, 2010 US National Top Ten AAOTR

S Just DiMaggio++/ 2016 Canadian National Top Ten in SHIH (x 4) and Training Level ATR, 2010 Canadian National Top Ten Jackpot Colt

#10 siiamese

siiamese

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,651 posts

Posted 21 April 2016 - 11:01 AM

I am finding BASKGHAZI to be a really good sire.  The offspring are very athletic, have very good conformation and have amazing brains and work ethics to make training so easy with them. They are excelling as halter horses when young and moving right on to good performance careers.