Photo

What would you change? Disputes at breed shows and/or with the AHA

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
No replies to this topic

#1 californianinkansas

californianinkansas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 715 posts

Posted 12 March 2016 - 12:52 PM

Hello to everybody! I know that it's been forever since I've posted.  :blush:  It was a very busy winter. My previous computer finally died, I had to return to my hometown for the first time in thirteen years do deal with/be the grown-up in a family emergency, and I went back to college at night. I have my BS from KSU and am trying to finish my certificate program.

If you are comfortable, absolutely no obligation or pressure intended. Please feel totally free to ignore. For my FaceBook friends, this is the exact same thing that I just posted to my FB account. 

I respectfully request to benefit from the collective wisdom of the ABN for my student paper regarding four questions that I have. Again -please feel free to ignore!

Note: This is a looooong post, I respectfully ask in advance for your forbearance.

Backstory:

As some of you know, I went back to Kansas State University to finish my certificate in Conflict Resolution so I can become a state-approved mediator. I’m not planning on leaving my job, I just want to get certified in what I already do anyway at work (and this is why I’m not showing in an AHA-approved shows this year, as, having used up my GI Bill monies for undergrad, we’re paying entirely out-of-pocket for tuition). Someday, if there is a need for it, I would like to specialize in the mediation of equine-related disputes. My particular academic interest is in the role that culture and subculture plays in conflicts.

Disclaimer:

Please note that mediators (unless stated otherwise) are not legal professionals (i.e., not attorneys or paralegals).  The goal of the mediator is to help the disputants resolve their dispute before it escalates to the point where the disputants appear before a judge.

I’m starting to get to the point:

I’m taking FSHS 534 Conflict in Organizations right now. The end-of-semester (60% of my grade) paper has the student design a hypothetical multifaceted dispute resolution system for an organization of the student’s choice. I picked the AHA because horses, and because in my amateur-backyard-Arabian-horse-owner uninformed opinion, I think that perhaps the conflict management systems used at present by the AHA/USEF could benefit from the introduction of non-adversarial, non-litigious, no filing-fee option for all of us to use.

Soapbox, please feel free to ignore:

We have the best horse breed in the world. Arabians are extremely intelligent, genuinely want to be around children;  are almost dog-like in their capacity for forming loyal and affectionate bonds with people; are easy keepers with good hooves; more versatile than any other breed; and are all stunningly beautiful with great endurance. There is no reason why the Arabian should not be the most popular horse breed in the US. Unfortunately -for very understandable reasons- we’ve fractured into many different factions, which makes it much harder to prove to the USA that instead of the Other Breed, we are truly America’s Horse and that our breed is the horse that should be known as America’s family horse.

The point -finally!- of this message:

I respectfully request that if anyone has the time and inclination, if you could answer one or more of the questions below? This information is only for my student paper for my class and is not intended for publication. No real names will be quoted or recorded for my paper, as pseudonyms will be used with the format of “Stakeholder A, Stakeholder B, Stakeholder C” and so forth. If you would feel more comfortable, I am more than happy to send you my personal email address. There is no need to reply to this thread/post, IMs are very welcome. I will be more than happy to email a copy of the finished paper (due 1 May 2016) to anyone who wants one.  There are no right or wrong responses to these questions, and non-traditional, informal, and low-cost ideas are encouraged. The only thing that matters is what you think might work.

Question 1: In a perfect world, at horse shows or other AHA recognized competitive event, how would you like to see disputes handled that arise from events that occur outside of the show ring?

Question 2: In a perfect world, how would you like to see disputes handled that arise from events that occur inside the show ring / during competition?

Question 3: In a perfect world, how would you like to see disputes handled regarding AHA policy, rules, or regulations?

Question 4: In a perfect world, how would you like to see disputes handled that occur between different interest groups within the AHA (for example, main-ring halter folks, endurance riders, working western, conservation or heritage breeders, saddleseat, sport horse/hunter/jumper/dressage/eventing groups)?

Thank you very much for your valuable time. I appreciate tremendously that you generously took time out of your busy day to read this very long post. Many thanks to anyone who replies to this post. Please remember that it is perfectly okay to reply via IM. I am more than happy to provide my personal email address to those who would feel more comfortable replying via email.

Again, thank you for your time and wisdom.

Very Respectfully,

Amber

PA Hi-Ly Visible: [(by Magnum Psyche) PA Hi-Noon x Takara Padrona (by *Padron)], frighteningly intelligent 2005 chestnut Arabian gelding.

Sterling, aka "Fluffy": mellow and bombproof grade Arabian gelding. His putative identity is Sterling Son (by Baraka Zouheir), pending submission of the DNA test kit.

Moonie the Mob Boss: mini palomino gelding, was the head of a large drug cartel in his previous lifetime.