Photo

Bask, temperament?

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
37 replies to this topic

#11 Janek

Janek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 07:36 AM

I have a lot of Bask in my breeding program, in both the stallion and the mares. They have been beautiful halter horses with great pleasing personalities that go on to successful show careers. My foals are slower to mature than some, but generally worth waiting for and get better every year. I think my stallion is more beautiful today (in his teens)then he was as a four-five year old.

Me too have never heard of Polish breeders having Bask progenitors in their breeding programs complaining about their characters. On the contrary, they are proud of their successes in the showring and under saddle. I'm sure there are some exceptions as in every sireline, but I've really never heard of them in Poland. Generally Kuhailan haifi sireline has better reputation in my country than Krzyzyk sireline.
Coming back to Bask: Mr Pankiewicz remembers Bask as a horse of a very good and gentle character. He was his favorite horse while in Poland. Mr Zenon Lipowicz, who was riding Bask, when Bask was in training at Sluzewiec Race Track, tells:" Riding Bask was pleasure and relaxation. He was obiedient, brave and cool-headed. He had great motion: soft and elastic like arabian and with like fullblood long steps, with constant speed on the whole distans without additional dispositions."
I've heard about Polish horses slow maturing too. It's one of Polish horses atributes, but hopefully it isn't a fault.

"The horse, who is too precious and too beautiful to be ridden, is neither precious nor beautiful. It's simply called an impaired horse by merciful Allah."

old Bedouin proverb

#12 Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Cassiosum Acres Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 10,660 posts

Posted 26 November 2007 - 09:59 AM

Almost all of my mares that are polish bred and/or of polish descent have Bask at least once or twice on their pedigrees, some 3 or 4 times.
They are all wonderful ladies with kind dispositions, very athletic and i think are very classically beautiful. A few are more "energetic" than others but easy to be with and work with as well
My stallion has Bask twice on his pedigree. And he is the most kindest, calmest boy you will ever meet. He would do anything for you. He is only 3 and i have been told that he will be even more beautiful as he matures in another 3-4 years and later onwards. I ADORE Bask bred horses.

Wow Bigger i just loved your story and photo of Bask as well. I had no idea. That is so precious. I would love to hear some more
Cassiosum Acres Arabians & Tack
Ask about our monthly sales and specials and check me out on Facebook too
RIP to my heart and soul SUMMETICIAN May 30 1993 - January 6th 2012. Mom loves you always and we will meet again

#13 Smokey11

Smokey11

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 97 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 09:57 AM

Growing up I showed a Bask grandson. He was extremely push button, all I had to do was sit on him. He knew what the announcer was saying or he knew the routine, which one I dont really know. He would trot, walk, canter, reverse, back and even line up when the announcer said. I got really spoiled with him. If he took the wrong lead...no stopping him, he knew it was wrong and would do a flying lead change to change to the correct lead. I could do anything with that horse. One year at Youth Jamboree in Region 12, we dressed up as Mickey and Minnie Mouse, and we put some pants on him and some huge mouse ears and suspenders. He took everything in stride. Was the best horse we ever had. I miss him tons. While I was pregnant with my little girl we leased him out to another barn for riding lessons and while in the field in a lightening storm he was struck by lightening. But all of the Bask horses I have come in contact with have had very laid back personalities and easy to deal with. Hope you got the information you needed! :bigemo_harabe_net-122:

• Melanie

#14 ebsaffyre

ebsaffyre

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 539 posts

Posted 28 November 2007 - 05:31 PM

Having a *Bask grandson, and when speaking with others about them, we came to the conclusion (right or wrong) that they CAN be one-person horses. Meaning they will be better behaved for mommy or daddy, than for others. They also demand respect and do best when asked to do something, rather than be told.

And Bigger - I am so envious! What an honor to ride the great one. I had no idea and what a treasure for your memoirs :)
The past is history, the future is a mystery and this moment is a gift. That's why this moment is called 'the present'.

When trouble arises and things look bad, there is always one individual who perceives a solution and is willing to take command. Very often, that person is crazy. -- Dave Barry, humor writer

SAFFYRE ARABIANS
Home of Caleyndar, SA Cassia (Caleyndar x Amira Padronov MR), and SA Calidora (Caleyndar x Bint Sanadik)

SAFFYRE SANCTUARY
Please help Arabians in Need - Your Support is Greatly Appreciated

#15 newbie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 390 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 08:14 AM

And Bigger - I am so envious! What an honor to ride the great one. I had no idea and what a treasure for your memoirs :(
[/quote]
Actually this is only one of the Big ones she has had the pleasure to ride. Her memoirs would be very
interesting to most people in the Arabian World. She is much to quiet about what she has done,
and where she has been. You should see the photo's she has stashed, here and there. She has
a lot more to share than some people can ever dream of experiencing.
RMC Sport Horses Breeders of North American Warmblood/Sport Horses and Arabian Cross Breds and
Breeders of Arabian SH National Champions:
RMC Entriging Prospect 2008 SH Nationals 2yr Old Jackpot HA/AA Stallion Champion, Top Ten
DAHA Champion AA/HA Stallions/Geldings SHIH 2008 (72.5%) PCASHC Jr. Champion 2008 AA/HA Stallions 2yr Olds (69.2%)
RMC Flash Gordon 2008 SH Nationals 2 yr Old Jackpot Purebred Geldings Reserve Champion,Top Ten
PCASHC Junior Champion 2008 Pure Bred Geldings 2yrs olds (76.5%) 3rd Place DAHA Spring 2008 2yr old PB Geldings &
Sarrabelle Yacherie Fancye /Pure Bred Cheval Canadien Mare, Dressage/Eventing/Drive (North American Warmblood)
Velvet Darkness (Dam of Darkh Image and RMC Flash Gordon Reserve National Champion SHIH Jackpot 2 yr olds)
Beyond the Blue/BeBe, 2 yr old AMHA black filly

#16 Prairie Majik Arabians

Prairie Majik Arabians

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 29 November 2007 - 03:07 PM

Having a *Bask grandson, and when speaking with others about them, we came to the conclusion (right or wrong) that they CAN be one-person horses. Meaning they will be better behaved for mommy or daddy, than for others. They also demand respect and do best when asked to do something, rather than be told.

And Bigger - I am so envious! What an honor to ride the great one. I had no idea and what a treasure for your memoirs :)

It is interesting that you say that because I have wondered the same thing. One of my mares has several crosses to Bask and Balaljka and she is slow to warm up to other people. She is not this way if people come to our place to visit but when I sent her out once for breeding and then again to a trainer she would have nothing to do with her new caretakers. In fact she hated the woman at the breeding farm and also would turn her butt to me and walk away when I went to visit her and also for about a month after I brought her home. She was mad at me for sending her away. I do not believe that the stallion owner was mean to her because none of my other mares acted this way. Luckily, the trainer I sent her to recognized this and gave her the time she needed to accept her and did an excellent job with her; even more impressive since this mare was 12 years old and had no previous training other than to lead and load. Her daughters are very much the same way. They are extremely affectionate to our family and to visitors, the love to lick faces and nuzzle for instance, but when I sent them away for training they were much like their mother had been. In fact, the Amurath Baikal daughter never did let the trainer on her back so we will try again when she is a bit older. I have been able to sit my youngest daughter on her back at home since she was a two year old but she was not having it with an "outsider!" Now I'm wondering if it isn't maybe because she has the Bask closer up because Baikal is a Bask son, whereas the other mares have Bask as a great grandsire.

#17 Janek

Janek

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,168 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 12:23 PM

Having worked at Lasma and worked with Lots of *Bask offspring and *Bask himself who was pretty laid back until Gene took the lead.He knew when he was on stag and puffed up and showed his heart out! Now his foals that we(Kim Potts and myself) would halter break at 6months were as different as their mothers.The Hot ones-Gwindalyn,Messalima,Canbara,(sorry for the spelling can't remember how these Polish names go) It seemed to me that the polish mares always had the hottest babies and the Crabbet mares had the more easy going foals.All the foals were NEVER touched by human hand until we rounded them up and put them in a shoot and haltered them and drug them or they drug us to the barn and two went in each stall with their halters and leads.We did 20 at a time.I have to tell you I have never been so beaten up in my life! They were wild but after a month they could lead and tie and be groomed,Gene would pick the halter babies and the others would go back out to pasture for another 2 years! Then when the coming 3yr olds come in it's the same Rodeo all over agian but they are much Bigger!! The colts were tough and at that time rather then get anybody hurt Gene hired some cowboys to start Missel(he was the toughest) ProFire and a couple other I can't remember the rest we all started.I was privileged to start Grandure he was easy and quite but he was not *Bask.My favorite *Bask horses-Hask so sweet died too young. The Judge a very smart horse and a real clown and the movement to die for -another that died too young.Fire Music just plain Beautiful!! There are many more but those were my personal favorites!
To make the long story short-you need to look at the mare.

The picture is me riding *Bask in 1976

We really want the long story. Tell us more about Bask, Pleeeaaase!

"The horse, who is too precious and too beautiful to be ridden, is neither precious nor beautiful. It's simply called an impaired horse by merciful Allah."

old Bedouin proverb

#18 Northwind

Northwind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,303 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:18 PM

I will check out the dam lines... have any of you had experience with any Bask in combination with Ambara and Comet?
Cheers,
Demelza.

I owned the stallion SWA Ansair who is by *Corsair is by Comet his dam SWA Abraa is by Ambaryz (*Bask x Bint Ambara, who is by Ambara) He was a real gentleman, and never needed a chain to be handled, he was also ridden by teenagers, and was not broke to ride till he was in his teens. I have been told that Comet lines are more difficult, but I have not seen it in his 3 fillies I have, whos dams are all *Bask bred.
Northwind Arabians
Standing;
Ballience V (Allience+// x Balquenette V) Res Canadian Nat. Ch. Park and Res. Nat. Ch. Eng. Pleasure Jr Horse..

Owned by, Northwind Arabians

El Shuja Wahid (Norus x Naftula by Moniet El Sharaf) Straight Egyptian.
Owned by, Northwind Arabians

The Elixir (HI-Fashion Mreekh x Jaliya), Straight Egyptian. Canadian Nationals, and Scottsdale, Top 10 Stallion.
Owned by, Watson Arabians.

or visit our photo site of all our horses

#19 oldridr

oldridr

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 59 posts

Posted 02 December 2007 - 01:58 PM

I have owned the *Bask grandson, GW Breakdansk (by Gdansk) since he was a two year old in 1986. In all these years, he has always been friendly and easy to handle at all times. During that time, I have bred him to a number of *Bask-bred mares, and the foals have been uniformly kind also. I think the records of the *Bask offspring and decendants speaks for him.

Attached Images

• breakdansksmall.JPG

#20 AuburnRose87

AuburnRose87

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 975 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

So far I haven't had any problems with any Bask bred horses.My filly is
double Bask bred on her sires side and she is pretty easy to work with.