Photo

Ann and Thunder---Awesome to see an Arabian Horse out there

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
12 replies to this topic

#1 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 01:16 PM

I tried to find some old threads here about Thunder, the Broncos mascot, and what we had written and links about him in the past, and could not. So would like to restart that celebration of seeing an Arabian horse.... in great publicity and education out there for the public to see, no matter which team you are rooting for.  :)

#2 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 03:00 PM

I would like to know the back story, about how an Arabian ended up to be the "Bronco" mascot. I know there are lots of Arabians up there in Colorado, but that is also the heart of quarter horse/appy/mustang/other breeds.... country. Thank you for letting me know or directing me to some answers as to the history of this story. :wub:

#3 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 04:11 PM

Someone sent this to me in an e mail.
This has some information that you might find interesting.

Kari Hester
February 2 at 11:03pm ยท Knoxville, TN
THUNDER, the Arabian horse Mascot of the Denver Broncos

Three purebred Arabians have held this name, all gray horses whose coats lightened with age until they were completely white. The most recent, "Thunder III", appeared at Super Bowl XLVIII in 2014 and is schduled to appear at Super Bowl 50.

The first Thunder was a stallion whose registered name was JB Kobask. He was the mascot from 1993 until his retirement in 2004, and continued to make community appearances until his death in 2009. He was succeeded by the gelding Winter Solstyce, foaled in 1994, who took over as "Thunder II" in 2004. Retired in 2014, he continues to make some public appearences. "Thunder III", whose registered name is Me N Myshadow, was the understudy to Thunder II, began to perform at preseason games in 2013 and made some of Thunder's other public appearances. Although Thunder II was the mascot for the 2013-14 season, he was retired after the Broncos won the AFC Championship game that season, and Thunder III went to Super Bowl XLVIII because he was younger and better able to handle being shipped by air to the east coast.

The regular rider of Thunder is Ann Judge-Wegener. When not performing at football games or making other public appearances, Thunder II and Thunder III reside at Wegener's farm in Bennett, Colorado. Sharon Magness-Blake has owned all three horses. The Arabian horses who have served in this role have respected pedigrees and were well-trained riding horses prior to officially becoming mascots. JB Kobask had a horse show career and Winter Solstyce was a personal pleasure riding horse for his owner. Me N Myshadow was specifically trained to become the next Thunder, beginning when he was started under saddle at age three, but he did not appear at games until he was 13 years old. Each mascot had a different personality: JB Kobask was very bold, while Winter Solstyce was more timid at first but grew into the role, being notable for his friendliness to people and for his tendency to pose for a camera whenever he sees one. Me N Myshadow is laid-back and would prefer to doze off during games when he is not working.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#4 HGEsquire

HGEsquire

HG Esquire+

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 05:46 PM

We actually show with Ann's sister Amy. Amy's husband has been employed here in the county for years. Between shows and meeting at the post office we feel privileged ๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค—๐Ÿค— tee hee

One day we might just get to meet Amy's sister and get all the skinny.

Denise Gainey

HG Esquire+, Rated 'E' for EVERYONE
GCA & Sport Horses on Facebook

Where Quality & Friendship Matter!

#5 Marilee

Marilee

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 697 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:01 PM

I read where they were delayed in a snowstorm on the way to the game. I sense a real respect between horse (s) and rider and owner, and the Broncos (owners and team too), as anytime I see or hear anything, there seems to be a true caring for the horse and for Ann, and a carefulness (reading what you posted above regarding their prior training and handling and waiting for the age to take him out......) that is awesome for the public to witness, and for those of us who have taken our Arabian horses out to the public too. It is wonderful to see such kindness and respect for the horse and the relationship between "Thunder(s) " and Ann. That is my point in writing today. I will keep reading and studying to see where the Arabian aspect of this began with Thunder I, instead of perhaps with another breed of horse. We know our Arabians do great with people and in education/promotion, but to me this is excellent, and a great role model for others. I saw them on TV a few years ago (live broadcast), and having done this myself, know it is not easy to present the horse carefully with many distractions going on. Congrats to a great job, no matter which team you like...... :wub:

#6 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 05 February 2016 - 06:03 PM

I would imagine with Mr. Magness status in the community and with as many as 600 Arabians at his ranch that it was a logical choice to ask him for a horse when the team changed their logo.

Just a guess.  But Mr. Magness was in the telecommunications business (he was a billionaire) so my guess he knew everyone in Denver and he would be the "go to guy" for the horse.

Bonn-Fyre Farms/Training Center home to- Pure Polish- Elikzir+ (Ganges x Ularia) Three time U.S National Top Ten Stallion,2016 Region I Champion Stallion SHIH Open and SHIH ATH, 2014 Region II Champion Stallion SHIH, PACIFIC SLOPE TOP FIVE STALLION 2014, Region II Top Five Stallion 201,10 Time U.S. National Top Ten Stallion LA LegacyInBlack+++//,U;S. National Champion Stallion H/A SHIH- The Terminatorr+(Azh Naborr x L'argent- German Verband Hanoverian) <p>https://www.facebook...571022559602050

#7 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 08:46 AM

That would have been my guess: the Magness' connections but I don't know for sure.

#8 HGEsquire

HGEsquire

HG Esquire+

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 8,321 posts

Posted 06 February 2016 - 09:30 AM

If I remember correctly isn't Bob Magness the founder of the "Discovery" channel?

Denise Gainey

HG Esquire+, Rated 'E' for EVERYONE
GCA & Sport Horses on Facebook

Where Quality & Friendship Matter!

#9 arabsRgreat

arabsRgreat

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,295 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 08:05 AM

If I remember correctly isn't Bob Magness the founder of the "Discovery" channel?

Denise Gainey

Oh my goodness: never heard that before!  Wow!  Wish I could come up with a cool idea like that!

#10 BFF

BFF

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,929 posts

Posted 07 February 2016 - 01:51 PM

Here is a little about his company, the rest can be read on Wikipedia or in articles online.

Bob Magness (June 3, 1924 - November 15, 1996)[1][2] was an American businessman who founded Tele-Communications, Inc (TCI). At the time of his death, TCI was the largest cable television provider in the United States and Forbes Magazine listed Magness as a billionaire and the second-richest businessman in Colorado.[3]

Tele-Communications, Inc. or TCI was a cable television provider in the United States, for much of its history controlled by Bob Magness and John Malone.

The company came into being in 1968, following the merger of Western Microwave, Inc. and Community Television, Inc. It was the largest cable operator in the United States at one time.

After going public in 1970, the company grew rapidly, and became the top cable provider in the United States. After a failed merger attempt with Bell Atlantic in 1994,[1] it was purchased in 1999 by AT&T, whose cable television assets were later acquired by Charter Communications and then Comcast Corporation.

https://en.wikipedia...munications_Inc.