Photo

Scar/blemish question

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
11 replies to this topic

#1 Gypsylove

Gypsylove

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 205 posts

Posted 17 September 2014 - 08:47 PM

I don't know the halter world well enough... if your horse had a noticeable scar from an old injury, does that disqualify you automatically? or are you allowed to show even?  I don't actually plan to show halter but I have a filly that always gets compliments.  She will probably always sport a battle scar from an injury she got at six months.  It just made me curious as to the rules.

Honor Arabians: Macarena Brahima (*Sidi-Brahim x MA Halima Rouge), Viva A Vida (Once N Alifetime x Macarena Brahima)-Arabian Mares,Sparticus (Heritage unknown-rescued) Arab gelding,Gypsy's Morning Star (Ushkabu x Gypsy) Half-Arabian Mare. Freely running- 6/18/1976-9/5/201

Lavender & Spice Herbal and Aromatherapy Blends for Horses: http://lavenderandspice.com/
If you have seen nothing but the beauty of their markings and limbs, their true beauty is hidden from you.- Author Unknown

#2 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 01:10 AM

I showed my Crabbet mare in halter, she usually placed well though she had a large semi-circular scar that went from her flank back to her hip from a trailer accident as a yearling. It showed up as a black line against her white coat. I think as long as a scar isn't too disfiguring or distracting, it doesn't make a lot of difference.

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#3 karens

karens

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 871 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 06:39 AM

I have wondered the same thing, as one of my horses has a scar, but it doesn't impair anything.

#4 SportArab

SportArab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,253 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 07:43 AM

Back when I used to show halter, I was told that a scar would make a difference only if there were two horses of comparable quality - then the one with the scar would score a bit lower.

Co-author of Duel for the Crown: Affirmed, Alydar, and Racing's Greatest Rivalry

www.duelforthecrown.com

Owner: Fiery Run Farm, breeding beautiful athletes and standing Pavvo (*Erros x Khassiopeia)

www.fieryrunfarm.com

#5 loriwoo

loriwoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 10:22 AM

as long as it does not hinder the movement or look like a conformation fault, it does not matter.

My 2 year old stallion cut his pastern really bad, and it left the inside of that pastern slightly thick.  Even in SHIH no one has EVER mentioned it.  I am sure to clip the area so you can actually SEE the scar, not just the thickness of the skin.

My gelding hit his face this spring and it left a large calcium deposit on his face all summer. He showed all summer and placed 1st or 2nd every time, just like he always has.

GO for it, I think judges understand that an injury happens.  If it is not compromising the horses way of going or stance, if it does not look like a fault, they would rather have you in the class than not!

It is not the quality of silver on your horse, it is the quality of horse under your silver.

#6 windridge

windridge

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,400 posts

Posted 18 September 2014 - 02:43 PM

I have seen some do very well at USN (I believe the one mare was Nat. champ) with a very large scar on her shoulder. I think the big thing is as long as it looks like it was truly from an accident vs from poor movement or a conformation weakness.

WR MEGA ROCK++/ multiple Regional Champion and SHN top 10, MA Razcals Glori SHN Top 10
JUSTADANCE+ Regional Champion and Canadian National Top 10, Montana Athena SHN Reserve Champion
WR SHADDO HAWK+++/- Multi Regional Champion and multiple SHN Top 10
MAGNIFICO ZF-multiple Regional Champion, SHN Reserve Champion, multiple USN top 10

#7 SWells

SWells

Sapphire Farms

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,493 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 02:55 AM

Scars are not part of conformation...I have never seen a horse penalized for a scar.  Our stallion Thee Onyx has been shown at halter successfully and has several scars from what must have been a pretty bad accident at one time.  I could never find out what happened as Gail had passed away.  

If a horse would have a terrible disfigurement where they could not move correctly then it might matter, but I have never seen anyone show a horse like this.

Sue Wells

Sapphire Farms

Posted Image

Visit us on the web!

#8 Slide

Slide

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 2,093 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 08:16 AM

I was in center ring when AM Ben Dream won Region 13 Top Five with huge bilateral splints high on both front cannons. I asked one of the judges what do you do when a horse presents with huge bilateral splints. She said that if it was an accident, it doesn't matter. Maybe she knew what happened to him, but I thought that was pretty strange.

#9 ladycascabel

ladycascabel

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,355 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 09:32 AM

Wow, Slide, it was my impression that splints were regarded as an important fault. That IS strange!

Mary Logan

www.cascabelranch.com

Proud of our family of working western athletes: Arabians, Half-arabs, National Foundation Quarter Horses.
Producers of all-natural grass-fed beef.

The Arabian and Half-arab Fam:

WCF Rampage+/ bay purebred gelding

TS Paarden Mia chestnut purebred mare
HAA Marco Rojo chestnut Classical Spanish gelding
SA Firefoxx chestnut purebred gelding
OFW Carnation bay purebred mare
Skyy RPA amber champagne HA mare
Goldenseal MSL palomino HA gelding

besttext2.jpg

#10 loriwoo

loriwoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 20 September 2014 - 04:14 PM

I agree I was told splints were considered faults, but perhaps only if they can see offset knees, or uneven pasterns or something.  that seems weird to me. 

It is not the quality of silver on your horse, it is the quality of horse under your silver.