Photo

Update- Tamale's first show

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
8 replies to this topic

#1 TootsiePop

TootsiePop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 06:39 PM

It's been forever! We started from the very ground up, but we finally earned his trust. His trainer has been most receptive to ideas and do insight, not being an Arabian person. He is such a good boy. His first show is Sunday, just a little halter class at a schooling show to get exposure. I'm getting nervous. Any tips hints or suggestions? I'm not expecting him to win or even place, but it's a fun thought. IMG_20140614_115330_983.jpg

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_20140614_115330_983.jpg

#2 rethacharper

rethacharper

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 914 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:27 PM

Relax and have fun!

#3 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,256 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

Just go have a good time with your horse!  That's all that matters.  :)

Pat Lowe

#4 TootsiePop

TootsiePop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 09:33 AM

Well, Tamales first show was not to be. I get a call YESTERDAY AFTERNOON that he and the other horse going are not doing well in the trailer together (the only mare in the barn he actually has a crush on). And why are they having issues? They were never loaded together before! WTF? So he had to stay home. I'm so mad. I told her she was going to need to put some serious work into hauling since A) he's never been hauled with another horse and B) it's the one mare he has a crush on weeks ago.
So tempted to find another trainer right now. Am I being too hard on her? This is the second show he was supposed to go to that he stayed home.

#5 gemtri jane

gemtri jane

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 22 June 2014 - 12:45 PM

Ya I would say you have a right to be mad. What does ‘not doing well in the trailer together‘ mean anyway? Is he a gelding?

#6 TootsiePop

TootsiePop

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 51 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 09:36 AM

No. He's a 7yr old stallion. He loaded, tied, just fine. But he dropped and was trying to talk to her and was shaking. I had told the trainer weeks ago he needed to practice this and it was always tomorrow tomorrow. The day before the show they load a stallion next to the only mare in the barn he's interested in?? Seriously?

Then I find out the mare has only been trailered once before herself... I didn't want to add fire to that situation.

I'm still mad.

#7 gemtri jane

gemtri jane

Advanced Member

• Guests
  • PipPipPip
  • 987 posts

Posted 23 June 2014 - 12:37 PM

Maybe the trainer was worried about his hormones, a wreck in the trailer, etc. Maybe it is better to be safe than sorry. IDK. I tend to agree that these training/handling things should have been addressed prior to show day though. He is a pretty guy - would have been nice to see how he did in the showring.

#8 loriwoo

loriwoo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,854 posts

Posted 24 June 2014 - 06:10 AM

I think he could win with your stance, HOWEVER if the trailer is not set up with a stud wall, I would not have hauled them either.  Period.

The mare can get upset and kick, or he could try to get to her, or even pop up, major damage.

Most people who haul stallions have a certain set up for hauling them, the wall is solid from knee or top of leg up past head height,, if it is a slant the stallion goes in first, etc.

It is not the quality of silver on your horse, it is the quality of horse under your silver.

#9 twarab

twarab

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 362 posts

Posted 08 March 2015 - 03:13 PM

We always practiced before a show with the stallions to make sure that they would haul with another horse.   Always put Vicks in the nostrils of the stallions when in the trailer.  Can't smell the mare.  Many people do this when hauling stallions. 

Trade Winds Arabians......breeders of "TW" Arabians since 1963!