Photo

Toskhara Arabians @ Addis Sale

This topic has been archived. This means that you cannot reply to this topic.
28 replies to this topic

#21 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:29 PM

The problem I'm having with any of those prices is, cost to produce the animal, plus the cost of training (if there was any), plus feeding and vetting for several years and .......you can't convince me that he's making a profit.  Unless you fall back on my thought that sometimes you just gotta get 'em off the bankroll and you win by no longer footing the bills. 

Pat Lowe

#22 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:32 PM

The problem I'm having with any of those prices is, cost to produce the animal, plus the cost of training (if there was any), plus feeding and vetting for several years and .......you can't convince me that he's making a profit.  Unless you fall back on my thought that sometimes you just gotta get 'em off the bankroll and you win by no longer footing the bills. 

I'm sure he's not making any money.  But he is getting them off his feed bill and the prices are better than they have been in the past.  Most are young and untrained, plus a couple broodmares, also untrained.  Just two who were saddle broke to my knowledge.  I just remember the first three sales he had a couple, three years ago and most were under saddle and sold for what I seem to remember being $500-1000.  Much better tonight, even though he's surely losing money considering feeding, breeding, etc. 

Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#23 liz

liz

Chief feeder and pooper scooper

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 3,503 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

didn't bid on any.... actually was lucky and bred a mare yesterday and one today.... as they are cycling with the cooler weather.

didn't watch much of it  either..... 

Vanilla Zip - Sire of Canadian/Sport Horse/Youth/US National Champion,  TT & Regional winners- 5 Nat WP TT winners in 2013
Faramond BPA (Versace) -  stallion   SOLD    5 National Top Tens in WP  

Summerwind Australian Shepherds -  No puppies available at the time...

#24 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:34 PM

I'm sure he's not making any money.  But he is getting them off his feed bill and the prices are better than they have been in the past.  Most are young and untrained, plus a couple broodmares, also untrained.  Just two who were saddle broke to my knowledge.  I just remember the first three sales he had a couple, three years ago and most were under saddle and sold for what I seem to remember being $500-1000.  Much better tonight, even though he's surely losing money considering feeding, breeding, etc. 

And I'm glad to see that the prices have come up, even if they still aren't what they could be, they ARE much better than not too very long ago. 

Pat Lowe

#25 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:42 PM

And I'm glad to see that the prices have come up, even if they still aren't what they could be, they ARE much better than not too very long ago. 

They netted just over 53K and got 21 horses off their feed bill.  From what I hear about hay prices in TX, they should be rolling in the dough now!  :)

Average price sold was $2528.  

13 horses were 3 or under.

Two 4 year olds, one ground broke, one under saddle.

Two 5 year olds (both were under saddle).

One over 20 broodmare.

4 were saddle broke.

Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#26 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 07:55 PM

They netted just over 53K and got 21 horses off their feed bill.  From what I hear about hay prices in TX, they should be rolling in the dough now!   :)

Average price sold was $2528.  

13 horses were 3 or under.

Two 4 year olds, one ground broke, one under saddle.

Two 5 year olds (both were under saddle).

One over 20 broodmare.

4 were saddle broke.

Hay prices in TX are crazy.  We were headed that way and got rain just in time.  My hay guy has committed to selling me 750 small squares (50 lbs) for $3/ea and my rounds will depend on weight but 500 lbs, $20, up to around 1800 for $60.   I can live with that.  

I was starting to think I was going to have to buy water for my stock pond.  My geothermal coils are on the bottom and the water got down to just a couple of feet deep, not enough.  The rain filled my pond, HALLELUJAH!  And we're supposed to be getting some more.  I'm beyond grateful. 

Pat Lowe

#27 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,775 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:13 PM

Hay prices in TX are crazy.  We were headed that way and got rain just in time.  My hay guy has committed to selling me 750 small squares (50 lbs) for $3/ea and my rounds will depend on weight but 500 lbs, $20, up to around 1800 for $60.   I can live with that.  

I was starting to think I was going to have to buy water for my stock pond.  My geothermal coils are on the bottom and the water got down to just a couple of feet deep, not enough.  The rain filled my pond, HALLELUJAH!  And we're supposed to be getting some more.  I'm beyond grateful. 

Wow - that is way cheaper than I can get it for and we don't have a drought!

Glad you're getting rain.  I wish it would become a common occurrence down there - though not in a flooding kind of way.  

CA and SCID negative.

#28 Dreamcatcher

Dreamcatcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 7,266 posts

Posted 17 June 2014 - 08:18 PM

Wow - that is way cheaper than I can get it for and we don't have a drought!

Glad you're getting rain.  I wish it would become a common occurrence down there - though not in a flooding kind of way.  

After the last really bad round of drought, 3 years and $200 round bales, I was starting to pray for a flood.  I'm tickled it didn't come to that.  I think my hay guy feels a little bad, he got pretty expensive for a while and I stuck  with him, but I let him know last year when we didn't have a drought, that there would come a time when those who were gouging were going to end up with fields full of hay they couldn't unload.  I think he got the hint.  I've seen it advertised for between $5-6 in the barn elsewhere this year, and that's way down from $15 - 25 during the drought.  

Pat Lowe

#29 buradura

buradura

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,310 posts

Posted 21 June 2014 - 07:41 PM

I love  the   first and only filly so far from the full sister to emigrantka  and emanacja  her dam was sold because she was producing only colts and voila Reeds got the mare home and she produced her first ever filly by Pegasus PASB her name ( the Pegasus filly) TA Emily.. who ever got her has  a great    filly

Barb Walker