• Please log in to reply
134 replies to this topic

#91 JRdesire

JRdesire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 997 posts
  • Interests:PB Western Pleasure<br />Just about anything horse related!!!

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:06 AM

Found this helpful search tool on the facebook thread linked above!  http://safer.fmcsa.d...nySnapshot.aspx

THAT is definitely going in my BOOKMARKS!  Thank you for sharing that!!

I will add that it looks like James Parlier (dba Jimmy Parlier Equine Transport) has lost his license - at least according to the DOT website which now lists him as not authorized to transport.  He has MANY, MANY positive statements on the internet from people who have used him.  In fact, I don't think I found one negative, but for the facebook incident, though I did not spend too much time looking.  I just know there were many satisfied customers.  I wonder if he lost his license because of the mare reported above in the facebook link.  He should, IMO.  

Absolutely agree!

I've learned that no amount of money can substitute for class.

#92 Timberlace

Timberlace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 16 February 2014 - 10:42 PM

Lots of black/white judgement on something that happened 15 years ago. I know some people have personal experiences with alcoholics but this is not a pattern of behavior. It was a mistake in a zero tolerance state. From what I understand it was a night out where he drank 3 beers. This same man is now accredited to transport foster children in Az. I am 54 and,guarantee in my younger days I got behind the wheel more than once after several drinks. It was not considered as big a crime in those days. But I started hauling horses at 16 and never got behind the wheel even slightly impaired with a horse trailer. My guess is anyone that has ever drank at all had gotten behind the wheel at least once,when they shouldn't have.
Don't get me wrong I am not defending drunk drivers. I just have no tolerance for people that see no grey areas in things. Think about the things you did in the past that were wrong and stupid. No one is perfect except God and the last time I looked he was not listed as a member on this board.
Also don't kid yourself that the big companies only hire reliable people. I had two show up with a horse that were the haulers from the layover hub. They were both drunk and reeked. Luckily I had to meet them because the giant trailer they were pulling would not fit in my driveway. I would have been terrified for them to know exactly where my house was. Got the horse off the trailer myself and he was a bundle of nerves. Took several hauls for him to get comfortable again. And if he hadn't been the last horse off I would have called the police on them . I did report it to the company. This was a company that a lot if people swear by. But I will not use them again.
  • Kira, carolyn thompson and cecelia like this

#93 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • Interests:Breeder of pure Polish Arabians. Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x AHBliss), available at stud to approved mares.

Posted 16 February 2014 - 11:03 PM

POPULAR

I think my biggest problem with this entire threaded started with the attack on the OP.  She simply posted a negative experience she had with a transporter and then info she learned, albeit subsequent to the horse being transported.  As someone else in this thread already posted, people are always complaining that horse people are afraid to speak up and out bad actors in the horse industry, which contributes to more negative experiences for others.  So the OP posted HER EXPERIENCE and many in this thread began attacking her as if to suggest that just because others had a good experience, there must be more to the OP's story. That left me with a very bad taste in my mouth.

Now, come to find out the transporter the OP posted about, Joe Estrada, does not seem to be licensed with DOT.  I am waiting for someone to correct me as the only thing I have to go by is his name.  There is no Joe or Joseph Estrada in the DOT database.  I even checked the Jose Estrada's and there isn't any Jose Estrada licensed to haul livestock.  Then I looked up Estradas in NV and again none.  So maybe it was a good lesson in the end.  Even though people may have had a good experience with him, is he actually licensed?  IDK - I'm waiting to hear what other name he would be licensed under.  

• CBJ, kathy s., JRdesire and 3 others like this
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#94 faerie

faerie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1,526 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

I know plenty of people that have licenses that aren't worth a hoot.  

THis thread has opened my eyes about who some folks are.  Scary.  Like I said, had she just said I had a bad experience that would have been fine.  I wouldn't have thought too much about it as a bad experience since her horse arrived just fine.  Whatever.  But why hire him if so much went wrong BEFORE anyone loaded a horse?  Cancel the haul before he picked up the horse.  Since he was obviously busy or dealing with a lot of hauls in bad weather, pay a little more and be done with it and this thread would not exist.  But due to her dissatisfaction AFTER the fact and after it was clear he had a lot on his plate causing a delay in the first place I don't get it.  Bringing up a 15 year old DUI was ugly.  The fact that so many think it was relevant was astounding.  So many shrinks here!  Who knew!

I would love to know how much hauling experience both personally and as a paying customer the folks here have.  

Life is what it is.  Having someone to blame doesn't make it better or easier.

The Facebook thing is every weirder.  I thought we had a different group of people here.  More responsible and mature than most horse boards.

• Kira and carolyn thompson like this
“Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid.”
― Albert Einstein

#95 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts
  • Interests:Breeder of pure Polish Arabians. Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x AHBliss), available at stud to approved mares.

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:00 AM

I know plenty of people that have licenses that aren't worth a hoot.  

THis thread has opened my eyes about who some folks are.  Scary.  Like I said, had she just said I had a bad experience that would have been fine.  I wouldn't have thought too much about it as a bad experience since her horse arrived just fine.  Whatever.  But why hire him if so much went wrong BEFORE anyone loaded a horse?  Cancel the haul before he picked up the horse.  Since he was obviously busy or dealing with a lot of hauls in bad weather, pay a little more and be done with it and this thread would not exist.  But due to her dissatisfaction AFTER the fact and after it was clear he had a lot on his plate causing a delay in the first place I don't get it.  Bringing up a 15 year old DUI was ugly.  The fact that so many think it was relevant was astounding.  So many shrinks here!  Who knew!

I would love to know how much hauling experience both personally and as a paying customer the folks here have.  

Life is what it is.  Having someone to blame doesn't make it better or easier.

The Facebook thing is every weirder.  I thought we had a different group of people here.  More responsible and mature than most horse boards.

Everybody is different in more ways than one.  What is important to some may be meaningless to another.  While a prior DUI may not matter to you, it does to me and also to others who have posted here.   Licensing may not matter to you but it is absolutely mandatory for me, for many, many reasons, including my own protection from liability exposure for the wrongdoing that someone I hire may do that I become liable for because I failed to act reasonably by hiring someone with the proper credentials to do the job  As I said, we're all different and we all have our own values that we operate with which includes individual tolerances.  

I don't think the OP said anything to cause the uproar that so many people had.  She simply shared information - something that is done on this forum on a daily basis.  Heck, if you look for it, you'll find a thread dedicated to far worse than what has been posted here, called Airing Dirty Laundry, or something to that effect.  Nobody had a tizzy fit when that thread started.  And it managed to go on for 78 pages... and then it just died a peaceful death.  Nobody demanded it be shut down.  

Now, just for fun, here's some reading material:  http://forums.arabia... dirty laundry

• arabsRgreat likes this
Home of Kalaloch (Piaff PASB x Ahbliss), multiple US National Champion, multiple Regional Champion and Scottsdale Champion.
CA and SCID negative.

#96 Timberlace

Timberlace

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 685 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:04 AM

They are fixing to go through the DOT process. Joe started hauling horses to make a living after a horse accident left him with a broken back. And since he is a horse trainer who couldn't ride he still had to eat. He carries the same care and custody insurance the big trainers carry when they haul your horses. The business has taken off like a rocket and even though he can ride again he is going to keep doing it because he likes it.
All of this I found out simply by asking questions before I hired him.
Again the answers satisfied me but may not satisfy the next person. His trailer was spotless. He knows how to handle a horse. Prices are cheap. He has insurance. And I have reached him every time I have tried. Sometimes you have to text and let him call back when he has cell service but he has always gotten back to me.
He will not respond on here because it is too fine a line between defending yourself and insulting the other party. And anything you say can and WILL be used against you.
I am not trying to insist anyone hire him. That is a choice for you to make personally. But please do your investigation before you put a horse on the trailer, ask questions and make an informed decision. Don't just take everything you read at face value.
And if they show up and you don't like the way they look, act or handle your horses. DO NOT put the horse on the trailer I have turned haulers away before.
  • Kira, Tamcam, faerie and 1 other like this

#97 dowedoit

dowedoit

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 6,466 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 07:39 AM

I'm glad he's a great horseman.  But many attacked the OP for bringing up an old DUI yet it has become very relevant in this thread.  15 years ago the transporter in question chose to violate the law by getting behind the wheel of a vehicle after drinking.  Now, 15 years later, he chooses to haul horses for pay without having the legal authority to do so.  That says a lot to me.  

• TripleHFarm, kathy s., JRdesire and 1 other like this
CA and SCID negative.

#98 Comstock Lode

Comstock Lode

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 5,352 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:35 PM

I posted this on a thread before , I think the one when the horses had to be put down . This is information people should know

Shelly posted the link to the DOT . Each State also has a Motor Carrier ( DOT ) of it's own you can usually find it through the DMV , it has different names in each State .

Rules for the DOT are just that and don't change , most States use those .

To haul cargo commercially ( including livestock ) interstate you must be licensed by the DOT , the truck will have a DOT number and the State MC number on it , that's the law . Most reputable haulers will have those numbers on their web sites as well, you can then go to the search feature at the DOT and check the company out .  Any company with the DOT has to have in place a drug testing program , keep driving records and update them once a year  , maintain log books, insurance and medical cards . The DOT audits new companies to make sure everything is place . The DOT can and will do random audits at any time , violations start at $2,000 and they can seize all the equipment . We belong to a group that does the drug testing for us quarterly with random draws . If a DUI is on a drivers record our insurance company will not cover them at all , not sure on other insurance companies .

Before you hire a company to haul your horse ask for their DOT number if it's not on their advertising . Check them out at the link Shelley posted , ask for their State # and check with that State as well . If they operate under a business name check at the Secretary of State's office . It shouldn't take more than a couple minutes to check their safety records and make sure their business is operating legally . Once you know those things you know they have gone through the DOT audit program and are operating within the guidelines . If they are not licensed with the DOT and are just a guy trying to make a buck hauling horses don't expect their insurance will cover your horses , it won't because they aren't insured to haul commercially . You can also request a copy of their insurance certificate to see the coverages ( you can do this for any contractor you hire to make sure they have coverage ) . I have this request several times week at work and it's no big deal to email a certificate showing what our company is covered for .

If you have a problem report it to the DOT and the State . If nothing else it could trigger an audit and no one wants the DOT coming in and going through everything . DOT is one of the agencies our taxes pay for , it's there to protect us on the road , use it .

• JRdesire, Dreamcatcher and dowedoit like this

#99 gemtri jane

gemtri jane

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 674 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 01:53 PM

Good grief!!! Definitely an ironic turn of events ... in people‘s attempts to stop the OP from telling about her experience, people‘s attempts at defending this hauler has turned up alot of dirt about him. Now what would have been wrong with telling it like it is in the first place?? ie ‘sounds like he screwed up abit with your horses, he should have kept contact, he is a good guy though, he has had a string of bad luck and made a few bad decisions in the past, dont think he has a DOT, number,etc but carries some insurance, etc, etc, he hauled for me and I would hire him again‘.
Sometimes dishonesty and attempting to hide unpleasant truths leads to more suspicion than the actual truth does.
And that‘s one of the problems in the horse industry ie bull shitting and glamorizing.
  • Peter Mileo, Dreamcatcher and KristinS like this

#100 rashind

rashind

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 17 February 2014 - 06:17 PM

So it is illegal to haul horses for pay without a dot and this guy does not have one? So he could be stopped on the road and detained indefinitely? And his insurance may not be valid without a dot? Just trying to see if I am understanding this right. If so the DUI is the least of his or his customer's worries.
  • kathy s. likes this

Shelly Osborne